DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this noise normal or is this a problem

wonkamavic

Reactions
I looked for a long time trying to find a video replicating exactly what im talking about.
Is this noise is normal ? The slap noise.
Before i ever started the props the first time i called dji about that slap noise and they had me do the calibrate routine ( seems to be their standard answer for almost everything ) .

Can anyone please tell me if yours does this or have you seen this before. It seems like a pretty hard slap for such a delicate device. I think long term, this is not a good thing. I dont put much faith in dji support and i dont want it going south down the road after the warranty expires. I can send it right back
to amazon and get it replaced if need be. I suspect its the inertia of the camera gimble moving so fast and then abruptly stopping. It hits the rear gimble mount tab when the gimble swings back during bootup
exactly like this video. My gimble mounting tabs are absolutely in the correct positions.
Its only a week old and its not been crashed. It has done this since the first bootup on my coffee table day 1.

Thanks

Edit: This not not my video, it took a very long time to find this video and it emulates the exact slap im hearing on bootup - the gimble slapping sound

Last edited:
I looked for a long time trying to find a video replicating exactly what im talking about.
Before i ever started the props the first time i called dji about that slap noise and they had me do the calibrate routine ( seems to be their standard answer for almost everything ) .

Can anyone please tell me if yours does this or have you seen this before. It seems like a pretty hard slap for such a delicate device. I think long term, this is not a good thing. I dont put much faith in dji support and i dont want it going south down the road after the warranty expires. I can send it right back
to amazon and get it replaced if need be. I suspect its the inertia of the camera gimble moving so fast and then abruptly stopping. It hits the rear gimble mount tab when the gimble swings back during bootup
exactly like this video. My gimble mounting tabs are absolutely in the correct positions.
Its only a week old and its not been crashed. It has done this since the first bootup on my coffee table day 1.

Thanks

Its normal. That's the downward ultrasonic sensor doing a self test.

When I first bought my Mavic (when it was released), the gimbal used to sometimes slap on calibration. It stopped doing it at some point. I'm assuming DJI might have tweaked something in the firmware (I always update mine). If you're not running the latest firmware, then try updating it to see if it resolves that issue.

When I first bought my Mavic (when it was released), the gimbal used to sometimes slap on calibration. It stopped doing it at some point. I'm assuming DJI might have tweaked something in the firmware (I always update mine). If you're not running the latest firmware, then try updating it to see if it resolves that issue.

the first thing i did was update the firmware right out of the box after a battery charge. it forced an update from .800 to .900
its slapping EVERY time it boots up.

when you say calibration do you mean when it boots or when you do a gimble calibration ?

i have also calibrated anything and everything a user can calibrate while on the phone with DJI.
So this is either normal ( i suspect its not ) or its a defect.
anyone else have this noise during bootup ?

So this is either normal ( i suspect its not ) or its a defect
It's not an uncommon problem. Even the video you posted above has recent comments where people are saying they have the same problem. You could roll the dice and get a replacement. There's no guarantee that your replacement won't do the same thing though.

FWIW, when I compare my startup process to the video you posted above, my gimbal does not move as quickly backward (which probably explains why it's not making contact).

I think it's normal. When you fly, is the video locked in? Sounds a bit popping in your video. If your worried and just bought it from a good retailer, then exchange it; avoid DJI repair if you can as that can take a couple weeks.

I think it's normal. When you fly, is the video locked in? Sounds a bit popping in your video. If your worried and just bought it from a good retailer, then exchange it; avoid DJI repair if you can as that can take a couple weeks.

thats not my video. it took me a very long time to find that video that emulates exactly what mine is doing - the slapping sound from the gimble

Last edited:
Reactions: Sew
It's not an uncommon problem. Even the video you posted above has recent comments where people are saying they have the same problem. You could roll the dice and get a replacement. There's no guarantee that your replacement won't do the same thing though.

FWIW, when I compare my startup process to the video you posted above, my gimbal does not move as quickly backward (which probably explains why it's not making contact).

those replies in that guys video are not talking about the slapping sound. they are talking about some other faint noise after bootup. that is not my video. its the only video i could find that clearly shows the slapping gimble that im encountering.

From what I've found out, gimbal start up sequence can be different on different Mavics. Mine is completely different on both Mavics to yours, that slapping noise has now got worse, and I have a gimbal overload error.
There's a inconclusive debate if the slapping noise is normal or not.
I don't think it's normal, because if you look carefully on my Mavic, it's slapping the video cable, amongst other parts in the motor gimbal area. The camera focusing motor is very delicate, it must be hurting over time.

From what I've found out, gimbal start up sequence can be different on different Mavics. Mine is completely different on both Mavics to yours, that slapping noise has now got worse, and I have a gimbal overload error.
There's a inconclusive debate if the slapping noise is normal or not.
I don't think it's normal, because if you look carefully on my Mavic, it's slapping the video cable, amongst other parts in the motor gimbal area. The camera focusing motor is very delicate, it must be hurting over time.

Agreed.... Im sending mine back to amazon tomorrow and getting another one. I REALLY think this could be solved with a firmware change to slow down the gimble movement
during boot as im pretty sure this is an inertia thing. Its moving at light speed. seems excessive to me.

I'm not sure if this works but maybe slow down the camera pan speed just slightly in settings? Worth a shot -

im done with DJI. i returned the 2nd one for gimble problems also.
Between their calibrate tech support / quality control issues / data mining and NFZ crap controlling you, i have no use for DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31