DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme newb scared to fly mavic

Its drifting around alot with no stick input during hover

That should NOT be happening. Maybe you need to do some careful calibration?

when i came back in the house with it, i did not feel like i just had fun.
i felt like i may have made a mistake thinking that i could do this.

Once you have the drift issue solved, just find a solitary space like an open field and take your time and enjoy getting used to it. It is truly an amazing device and you shouldn't be surprised to be intimidated by it. Slow and steady wins the race!

Reactions: MAVA4
That should NOT be happening. Maybe you need to do some careful calibration?

This is tuff for a newb as theres sooooo much conflicting info online about what you should or should not do.
i did the IMU calibration. I have not done a compass calibration becasue im reading that the mavic does not need it and that over calibrating
stuff in the mavic confuses it. im pretty **** frustrated. Do you know if theres a headless mode ? At least that would crutch me for the initial baptism

And every time i talk to DJI, im more and more convinced that they may not know exactly what they are talking about.
I can tell they are unsure of their own product functions.

You can switch the sticks around if so desired. Click "Stick Mode" in general settings under the remote icon.

Would i be learning to fly the wrong way if i do that ? Are there bad implications of learning it that way ?

This is tuff for a newb as theres sooooo much conflicting info online about what you should or should not do.
i did the IMU calibration. I have not done a compass calibration becasue im reading that the mavic does not need it and that over calibrating
stuff in the mavic confuses it. im pretty **** frustrated. Do you know if theres a headless mode ? At least that would crutch me for the initial baptism

Something is wrong if you are in GPS mode and your Mavic is drifting, because it uses the GPS information to maintain its position.

1) find the interference monitor in the DJI GO app sensor page advanced, and walk around with the Mavic to get a sense of how bad things are where you are getting drift.
2) Once you find a clean big area, go right ahead and do a GPS calibration in that area. You probably wont need to do one again unless you go on a vacation with it.
3) In that same big clean area, see if it still drifts.

Regarding headless mode, you have to look at your screen sometimes to get a sense of the Mavic bearing. That might help make it more comfortable to use. If you just have weak spatial reasoning, then I would simply adapt your style of use to account for that, and don't try to fly like the trust fund kids that have spent their entire childhoods playing video games, and have huge tumour like parts of their brain tuned to do this sort of thing. :)

Something is wrong if you are in GPS mode and your Mavic is drifting, because it uses the GPS information to maintain its position.

1) find the interference monitor in the DJI GO app sensor page advanced, and walk around with the Mavic to get a sense of how bad things are where you are getting drift.
2) Once you find a clean big area, go right ahead and do a GPS calibration in that area. You probably wont need to do one again unless you go on a vacation with it.

Regarding headless mode, you have to look at your screen sometimes to get a sense of the Mavic bearing. That might help make it more comfortable to use. If you just have weak spatial reasoning, then I would simply adapt your style of use to account for that, and don't try to fly like the trust fund kids that have spent their entire childhoods playing video games, and have huge tumour like parts of their brain tuned to do this sort of thing. :)

Every time i read youre replies, i find out how much i really dont know about flying a drone. I appreciate the help.
Now i have to research GPS calibration. I dont have any spatial reasoning issues that i know of and i have been doing
computer stuff hardware and software since before people had computers in their houses. Like spending hours programming in basic
just to watch a ball bounce around on the screen of an atari ST. But flying a drone is not that. Im afraid to use the visual input from the ipad
as a starting point for flying. Its a fear thing i guess because im afraid of loosing complete control unless i have my eyes on the mavic and not a screen of what the mavic is seeing.

Regarding moving stick left and Mavic going right...

Make sure you are standing behind it with it facing away from you...

Last edited:

Pathogen, is there an actual users guide for the DJI GO 4 app? A place where you can actually find what you are looking for inside the app ?

1. Read the manual, and reread important parts.
2. Maybe get a cheap drone to get used to flying, much better to crash that first. If you read here, one thing that can cause a wreck is suddenly losing GPS, and suddenly you are in ATTI mode with no idea how to manually pilot the craft. My first was a parrot mambo, not great but helped me get a feel for flying. This also helps with 3...
3. Read the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Ok, how about just the cover.....DONT PANIC!

Course, new myself here so my advice is only worth one cent.

Reactions: Pathogen
Pathogen, is there an actual users guide for the DJI GO 4 app? A place where you can actually find what you are looking for inside the app ?
There is not that I am aware of. It may not be a bad thing, because it can force you to take things very slowly and carefully. This contributions made by other on this forum have helped me the most as far as shortcutting learning everything by trial and error, but really, your biggest enemy is impatience. I'm glad to read you don't have trouble with spatial reasoning, in that case all you need is practice, lots and lots of it!

Maybe get a cheap drone to get used to flying, much better to crash that first.
That may be a really good idea. I recall seeing one at Walmart for $50. The Mavic has 'smart' features that can actually get you into confused and into trouble.

There is not that I am aware of. It may not be a bad thing, because it can force you to take things very slowly and carefully. This contributions made by other on this forum have helped me the most as far as shortcutting learning everything by trial and error, but really, your biggest enemy is impatience. I'm glad to read you don't have trouble with spatial reasoning, in that case all you need is practice, lots and lots of it!

Well, i have had it for 5 days now and i was only willing to take it outside on day 4. Im trying to be as cautious as possible.
I have yet to find the interference monitor in the DJI GO 4 app anywhere.
I think that for something that i have a this much money invested in, no app instructions / tutorial / index to find things is deplorable.

I think im starting to see why people use 3rd party apps like litchi and why the DJI GO 4 app has such horrible reviews.
But from what i understand, use of 3rd party apps voids the warranty

Maybe the interference monitor is something thats not available in the beginners mode. I have yet to find it.

Maybe the interference monitor is something thats not available in the beginners mode. I have yet to find it.

MC Settings / Advanced Settings / Sensor State / Compass

As for the state on DJI instructions, I just wonder if they tried but then realized it was pointless due to the complexity. I did notice they have some tutorial videos on their website, they might be worth a look. Watching others mess around with their Mavic on youtube could be fun also.

MC Settings / Advanced Settings / Sensor State / Compass

As for the state on DJI instructions, I just wonder if they tried but then realized it was pointless due to the complexity. I did notice they have some tutorial videos on their website, they might be worth a look. Watching others mess around with their Mavic on youtube could be fun also.

TY

I bought some cheap drones before buying mavic... 20/50usd

i just took it out and flew it for 2 batteries worth. i let the batteries get to 30% then landed. i did not have any control issues and felt almost completly comfortable after watching this video

i flew in it my back yard with no issues.

came back into the house with the 2 batteries and plugged the first one in and its flashing the 4th green led buy the power button 3 times and keeps repeating and not charging.
i put it in the mavic and the mavic powers up - battery issue ?

2nd battery that i used. i put it on the charger and the 1st and 2nd green led scroll back and forth fast ( not normal charging cadence ) and is not charging. i put it in the mavic
and the mavic powers up. - battery issue ?

Yes i updated the firmware on all 3 batteries prior to my first flight yesterday - how i did this was let the app update battery one
shut down and changed to next battery and launched go 4 app and saw firmware inconsistency so i updated that one
i did the exact same thing with the 3rd one.

now i have one battery thats working as i have not flown with it and 2 that wont charge and have strange LED actions.
im letting the 2 batteries cool down to room temp and i will try it again

battery 1 with the 1 LED flashing fast continues to do so after its removed from the charger and is just sitting there on the table.
the only way to stop it from flashing is to push the power button. after letting the battery go quiet, pushing the button shows 2 solid green LEDs

battery number 2 after going quiet, pushing the button shows led 1 solid green and led 2 blinking green.

both will power up the mavic but seem to not be charging.

surely i dont have 2 defective batteries after their first use ?

anyone with battery issues like this in the past ?

im letting the 2 batteries cool down to room temp and i will try it again
That is wise.

Do read the Mavic pdf user guide, as it contains a chart detailing what the battery led flash codes mean. Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga