DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme sd card

Specs does say U3, even though video bit rate is way lower than U1/Class 10 limit.
Ultra is only U1 class 10.

I'm more inclined to believe your Ultra became fatigued. That happened to me with my P3. Video recordings started failing far enough into the card, but are fine for just storing files.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit to using the Extreme Pro class 10 U3 but using the Micro SD XC II as opposed to using the Micro SD XC I ??

I've been told that using the very much more expensive and faster XC II instead of the XC I version will give me much smoother video from my Mavic 2 Pro. Yet I think I recall reading that the M2P only writes at a slower speed, therefore, that faster card is not needed. I hate to spend that kind of money on a 128gb which is over $100, if I don't need that XC II version, since the XC I is about $32.

Any help is appreciated and may also help others who did not realize they needed, or did not need, this much faster SD Card.

If the XC II is supposed to mean UHS-II bus, you don't need it. DJI is still using the UHS-I bus. The two buses are backwards compatible, much like USB 2 Vs USB 3.

If the XC II is supposed to mean UHS-II bus, you don't need it. DJI is still using the UHS-I bus. The two buses are backwards compatible, much like USB 2 Vs USB 3.
That is exactly what I meant, So the extra speed is a waste of money, if I understand what you are saying here. Thanks for that info, so no need to spend all that money then. Great news.

The way I approach the best choice for SD Cards for any drone cameras is to :
- first, find out the Write throughput of the camera (typically 100 Mbps for good 4K cameras)
- second, select SD cards which have a write speed equal or above that value for faster writing of your videos)
good examples of fast cards :
- Lexar Professional 1800x microSDXC --- write speed around 150 Mbps
- Integral 64GB SD video card V90 U3 Ultima Pro X2 High Endurance memory UHS-II -- write speed up 240 Mbps

Note that if you only take photos then it won't matter so much which card you use, as they will all work perfectly well.
But if you need to shoot 4K videos then you won't lose frames because your SD is too slow at saving the video.
If the SD write speed is not large enough the camera will sacrifice frames which cannot be buffered and your video may look a bit jerky.
The 2 cards mentioned above have 1.5 times to twice the write speed necessary to keep up with 4K videos.

I believe that other parameters of the SD card can be useful to look at but only converge towards enhancing that all-important write speed.

The way I approach the best choice for SD Cards for any drone cameras is to :
- first, find out the Write throughput of the camera (typically 100 Mbps for good 4K cameras)
- second, select SD cards which have a write speed equal or above that value for faster writing of your videos)
good examples of fast cards :
- Lexar Professional 1800x microSDXC --- write speed around 150 Mbps
- Integral 64GB SD video card V90 U3 Ultima Pro X2 High Endurance memory UHS-II -- write speed up 240 Mbps

Note that if you only take photos then it won't matter so much which card you use, as they will all work perfectly well.
But if you need to shoot 4K videos then you won't lose frames because your SD is too slow at saving the video.
If the SD write speed is not large enough the camera will sacrifice frames which cannot be buffered and your video may look a bit jerky.
The 2 cards mentioned above have 1.5 times to twice the write speed necessary to keep up with 4K videos.

I believe that other parameters of the SD card can be useful to look at but only converge towards enhancing that all-important write speed.
Thank you for that info, so it looks like it still may be worth the extra cost of a faster speed. Do you know the cost of those two cards you mentioned, or a good supplier to get real cards from, of these?

There are a lot of names and specification logo's that are printed onto SD cards. The only real 'useful' logo is the 'UHS Speed class 3' logo, that looks like a 'U' with a 3 in it. That indicates that the card will support a minimum sustained write speed of 30 Mbytes/sec. That means that under load, it may record at a higher rate, but the worst-case record speed will be 30 Mbytes/sec. That's equivalent to 240 Mbit/s ... recording at this rate guarantees that HD video can be written to the SD card without dropping data. Other spec's may help in regard to the speed you can transfer [read] the data off the card to get it into your PC for post-production - but they really aren't as important.

Also if the card speed depends on the UHS-II bus, then it's not worth the extra expense.
It's like having an SSD drive capable of 500MB/s over USB 2.0. The USB 2.0 can't go anywhere near the SSD's capability.

Thank you for that info, so it looks like it still may be worth the extra cost of a faster speed. Do you know the cost of those two cards you mentioned, or a good supplier to get real cards from, of these?

I have purchased my LEXAR 1800 for £45 a couple of months ago - if you Google it and keep looking you will find all sorts of suppliers with all sorts of price
as an example here is a link:
Yesterday I have ordered 3 SD cards of this type: (these are even faster -- 240 MB/s) I paid £65 each but here again prices can change from dealer to dealer.

Good fishing !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000