DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Accident and Incident Notification(s): Notice(s) Created 24-JUN-22

I just did a search and it said Boonville, NC was 988'. This came from Boonville's site.
Wonder which is correct?
The USGS Topo Map I posted shows that there's a benchmark at 1066', and it shows many contour lines going through the town limits. On the topo map, I don't see an obvious elevation of 1099, but certainly 1066' and 988' are definitely inside the town limits, as are many other elevations. Exactly where in Boonville do you want to measure from?

But since the accident was reported to have occurred out of town, it may be more relevant to know the elevation of the accident site. Again, the answer to that question depends on precisely where you want to measure from, but the precise location of the accident has not been made public.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is the drone pilot known? How far out was the drone?

Those details are not currently available for Public consumption.

Keep in mind this is an Active Investigation and any details known are going to be kept in confidence until some preliminary reports are released which could potentially be a few to several months away.

Wonder why he returned to the field instead of making an emergency landing after a drone strike. It's a small helicopter than can be loaded on a truck if you needed to repair it.

Reactions: JSmithie
I'm aware of his incident but it's currently an ACTIVE investigation so that's all that can be reported at the moment.

Thank goodness the H269 was able to land safely without any further incident. It's important to note (for all of us) that the level of damage is noted as "substantial".
There's a company called Zipline, a drone package delivery company in NC somewhere, maybe they know something, I think the faa just issued them the first BVLOS license if I'm not mistaken.

There's a company called Zipline, a drone package delivery company in NC somewhere, maybe they know something, I think the faa just issued them the first BVLOS license if I'm not mistaken.

I'm an FAA Safety Team Rep in NC . . . I can assure you that ZipLine isn't going to know more about this incident than I do. No disrespect meant but that's not how this works :)

Question, is a Drone strike with a small Drone like a mini 2 or 3 the same as hitting a bird?
I would imagine hitting a plastic Drone would be a bit more severe then an impact with a sparrow, but I bet a hawk would really mess some stuff up.
Do they replace rotors after a bird strike?

I would hope he has insurance should they find the drone... and if it was registered with FAA. Sounds expensive!

I live in the Blairsville, GA area. Mostly during the summer months, military aircraft, helicopters, fighter jets, C-17’s run these valleys at treetop level. My home is 1983’ above sea level but several times, the aircraft are low enough to read the serial numbers along the fuselage. Apparently, Camp Frank Merrill near Dahlonega Ga is having Ranger training.
Wouldn't that kind of activity warrant a NOTAM? (Or is it already in the charts?)

I was checking out restrictions for a site I wanted to fly at and noticed that there was a NOTAM for the summer about gliders. Seems to me that military training flights would also warrant a general warning for the area.

I'm not a real pilot — my basic certification doesn't really count — but if I knew that low-flying fast-moving aircraft were a possibility I'd find somewhere else to fly. (And if I had to fly there, like to check a roof, I'd stay low and only be up for the minimum time required.)

Reactions: GFields and BigAl07
Wouldn't that kind of activity warrant a NOTAM? (Or is it already in the charts?)

I was checking out restrictions for a site I wanted to fly at and noticed that there was a NOTAM for the summer about gliders. Seems to me that military training flights would also warrant a general warning for the area.

I'm not a real pilot — my basic certification doesn't really count — but if I knew that low-flying fast-moving aircraft were a possibility I'd find somewhere else to fly. (And if I had to fly there, like to check a roof, I'd stay low and only be up for the minimum time required.)
It depends.... if it's within a MOA the HOT times etc are usually noted on the sectional and if it's HOT outside of those times it will be in a NOTAM.

Reactions: GFields
The details are very limited right now but everything I have available only indicate rotor blade impact. It may be several months before a more detailed report is released for public consumption.
You’re right Al, it could take a few months. FAA may send out an inspector, and the company who built the helo will send an AE or so to effect repairs. They may find little drone pieces in odd places. Many things could have happened beyond a blade strike. I’m just guessing here, but it seems more serious than a bird strike. Please post when/where we can see the final report. Never read one, but it will be interesting.

Beyond all that, I’m saddened that a drone hit a helo, and happy no one was hurt. I use “Flight Radar” pre-flight. My hearing ain’t what it used to be, but I do listen before flying. Thanks for keeping up with this. Maybe one day drones will have airborne collision avoidance technology, though it shouldn’t be necessary.

Reactions: BigAl07 and GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird