DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Drone Tracking

KanjaniAir

Reactions
Question... can the FAA track our drones while in flight, or track if we fly above the 400' ceiling? I've once read that they were looking into do this. I am just curious if this ever became "a thing". I've searched for this topic and was not able to find anything, so if I am repeating an open topic, then my apologies.

Reactions: VFR-Pilot42
I'll give you a bit of advice, the FAA monitor sites like this just like any other government agency that collects information for possible threats/violations. People have been sent letters of warning for videos on social media sites of violations of FAA regulations. So this is not just a thing, but an actual fact and your curiosity can get you added to a list of people to watch. I would suggest you always think and talk of proper flying technics and conduct all your flight operations within the guild lines of the FAA.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I'll give you a bit of advice, the FAA monitor sites like this just like any other government agency that collects information for possible threats/violations. People have been sent letters of warning for videos on social media sites of violations of FAA regulations. So this is not just a thing, but an actual fact and your curiosity can get you added to a list of people to watch. I would suggest you always think and talk of proper flying technics and conduct all your flight operations within the guild lines of the FAA.

I appreciate your comment and insight. I am a combat vet. I am well familiar with the games that the federal government can play, but I have not done anything other than a question. That is how we learn. I am also very well aware that the rules tend to change without notice and can be taken by interpretation. This is why I try to seek clarity. I am not doing anything illegal and I am not worried. I am just trying to learn as much as I can about the rules so that I can continue to fly legally and help others who are seeking to do the same.

DJI sells Aeroscope, a system that can track drones and their operators and provide information to identify the owner.

EDIT: Not sure if it only pertains to DJI drones.

In all seriousness, there are multiple ways of tracking, and several products/companies that can do it.

I am a hot air balloon pilot, and in 2018, a company called Aerial Armor was engaged and used DJI Aeroscope to do tracking of drone activity during the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta which has a Temporary Flight Restriction in place. Here is an article on the results Balloon Fiesta officials release drone detection totals and a couple of other articles from 2018 and 2019 Hundreds violate FAA’s no drone fly zone at Balloon Fiesta and Flying drones at Balloon Fiesta could lead to federal charges

• Wow
Reactions: KanjaniAir
In all seriousness, there are multiple ways of tracking, and several products/companies that can do it.

I am a hot air balloon pilot, and in 2018, a company called Aerial Armor was engaged and used DJI Aeroscope to do tracking of drone activity during the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta which has a Temporary Flight Restriction in place. Here is an article on the results Balloon Fiesta officials release drone detection totals and a couple of other articles from 2018 and 2019 Hundreds violate FAA’s no drone fly zone at Balloon Fiesta and Flying drones at Balloon Fiesta could lead to federal charges

That was a really good report. Thanks. This is part of the problem why we are allowed to fly in such tight quarters! Too many drone pilots not following the rules and making it hard for those who do. But, it does answer my question about drones and the pilots being tracked.

But, it does answer my question about drones and the pilots being tracked.
The ability of something like Aeroscope has already been pointed out.
That's it.
Your drone doesn't show up on regular air traffic control radar.
Unless someone nearby is running Aeroscope, no-one knows anything about your flying, unless they are right there watching you.

I received an email yesterday talking about something along these lines of tracking our drones from the FAA. Please see the article below.

For Immediate Release
May 5, 2020

WASHINGTON
– The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the eight companies that will assist the Federal government in establishing requirements for future suppliers of Remote Identification (Remote ID). Remote ID will enable Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly called drones, to provide identification and location information while operating in the nation’s airspace.

The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID UAS Service Suppliers (USS): Airbus, AirMap, Amazon, Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing. These companies were selected through a Request for Information process in December 2018.

“The FAA will be able to advance the safe integration of drones into our nation’s airspace from these technology companies’ knowledge and expertise on remote identification,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.

This initial group will support the FAA in developing technology requirements for other companies to develop applications needed for Remote ID. The applications will provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.

The technology is being developed simultaneously with the proposed Remote ID rule. Application requirements will be announced when the final rule is published. The FAA will then begin accepting applications for entities to become Remote ID suppliers. The FAA will provide updates when other entities can apply to become qualified Remote ID USS on FAA.gov.

Drones are a fast-growing segment of the transportation sector with nearly 1.5 million drones and 160,000 remote pilots now registered with the FAA. The agency’s ability to develop Remote ID technology simultaneously with the rule enables the FAA to continue to build on a UAS Traffic Management (UTM) system that has demonstrated global leadership through the small UAS rule and the implementation of the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC), which automates the application and approval process for most UAS operators to obtain airspace authorizations.

to answer you question
NO the FAA does not know where your drone is, how high it is or anything about your drone when your flying. That may change in the future with remote ID but not anytime soon.

This has been great information! I have a feeling that there might be some push back in requiring drone pilots to have some sort of transponder or tracking device. Our "airspace" is already greatly limited as to where we can actually fly.

I have three DJI drones and I love the technology that these mighty little aircraft have stacked in them. It would seem that safety is always a top priority for the manufactures. There are so many of us who are operating within the rules and law. There are always those who will push the limits and put the rest of us in a bad light.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Yes if you don't think proper thoughts, the thought police will come after you! If you see or hear something, say something? So what if they do? I'm waiting on the Stasi-FAA goons to come and take my drone away.

I find it hard to believe that the FAA can't monitor your flight logs which are stored on the could if you sync your flight records via the web. Possibly with an internet connection that you have with your controller the flight can be monitored by any entity with the technology whether it be our Chinese 'friends' or some corporate/government agency which has the technology. It could be some spy programs like the police use to spy on cell phones. I'm not paranoid they really are after me!

As a retired Air Traffic Controller Operations Supervisor with the FAA I can confidently say that drones do not appear on ATC radar scopes. For that to happen the drone would need to be equipped with a transponder similar to what aircraft use. Even without a transponder there's a possibility a large drone would show on radar, but the controller wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it being a drone, a bird or clutter. I'm sure there are third-party companies that have the ability to detect and track our drones, but I'm pretty confident the FAA doesn't have that capability.

Seriously there's like 10000 planes carrying over a million people over the US at anyone time. Do you really think the FAA has the time money or resources to worry about a drone flying at 400 ft or less.

Question... can the FAA track our drones while in flight, or track if we fly above the 400' ceiling? I've once read that they were looking into do this. I am just curious if this ever became "a thing". I've searched for this topic and was not able to find anything, so if I am repeating an open topic, then my apologies.
ATC isn't tracking a drone unless it becomes a traffic issue for IFR craft and they have the capability like they will have with adsb. However, according to former CIA agent Kevin Shipp, there are back doors built into all Chinese made devices like DJI drones. Tune in at the 2:20 min mark for his comment on this.

Reactions: Meta4
However, according to former CIA agent Kevin Shipp,
there are back doors built into all Chinese made devices like DJI drones.
It seems that Mr Shipp is an authority on a variety of topics including:
Chemtrails, Weather manipulation, Vaccinations causing autism, 9/11 Conspiracy, Satanic paedophile cults
... So he'd definitely be the go to guy for drone info.

It seems that Mr Shipp is an authority on a variety of topics including:
Chemtrails, Weather manipulation, Vaccinations causing autism, 9/11 Conspiracy, Satanic paedophile cults
... So he'd definitely be the go to guy for drone info.
There you go again. Trot out the old 'conspiracy theorist' brush to discredit those who oppose your viewpoint. It seems that the US military and various members of the US Federal government don't trust DJI either. Not only do they agree with CIA agent Shipp but other researchers also agree with Shipp. Take it up with them if you like. How DJI fumbled its bug bounty program and created a PR nightmare

Reactions: Drgnfli

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03