DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA license

CA Comfort

Reactions
Good evening,
I mean new Drone flyer who is interested in getting the license. I have done some research online for classes, and a lot of what I see seems to BS. The pilot Institute seems to be one that sticks out to me the most, but I want to come to you guys to make sure that I'm not just giving my money away to something that's gonna be useless. Is taking the online course and are passing a test an approved method for receiving the license, are there any hands-on experience training required, if so, is there anyone can be recommended here in San Diego?

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

I used Gold Seal - IMHO excellent course - HERE is a link. As of now no hands on test

Pass Your Part 107 Exam
Or We'll Pay For It

• Taught by FAA Certificated Flight Instructors
  • Practice with actual FAA questions and examples
  • Lifetime Access
    100% Pass Guarantee

Welcome to the forum :)

Is taking the online course and are passing a test an approved method for receiving the license, are there any hands-on experience training required, if so, is there anyone can be recommended here in San Diego?

There is no specific requirement on HOW you train only that you take and pass the test.

Gold Seal (link provided above) is an amazing and professional "Online" FAA Part 107 Course. It's taught by Aviation Professionals for Aviation Professionals. They don't teach you "how to pass the test" but they teach you the subject matter so you are able to apply the knowledge and use it in the Real World once you get your Part 107. You'd be shocked how many "Part 107 Holders" still have the most basic of Part 107 questions because they trained to Pass the Test rather than getting the knowledge.

Unfortunately (and sadly) that is no actual Flight Proficiency portion of the FAA Part 107 test. You can literally have never even seen an UAS in your life and still pass the test (absolutely absurd). Hopefully the FAA will require an actual Flight Proficiency test in the NEAR future.

Good luck and KUDOS for asking ahead of time. Well done :)

I used ASA Prepware (under $20) from Sporty's Pilot Shop, then practiced with King prep tests (free) and scored 95%. Easy, fast, cheap. Incidentally, I lived in SD for 25 years.

I went thru this same process several weeks ago. After research, I ended up with Pilot Institute and am very happy with my choice. Greg is a great teacher, very laid back style and answers all questions on a very timely basis; usually within a few hours or so. I'm a pretty 'need to know everything' kind of guy, so I've actually gone thru the course twice :) I've done the practice exams and scored over 95% so I'm comfortable with that. I also have the ASA Remote Pilot Test Prep, along with the Testing Supplement. I liked those as well. I've also gone thru Tony Northrups free YouTube video and liked that as well. PI was by and large my favorite course.

I'm in no real hurry to do anything but I will be taking my real test in a few weeks or so,

Good luck!

I used Remote Pilot 101. After doing his classes and practice tests, the hardest part of the exam was reading the tiny numbers on the very poorly printed copies of the sectional charts. Real sectionals are easier to read than that.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000