DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107

I used to think the same exact thing. BUT, I'm really glad now that I took the course. I learned a lot about the airspace in which I'm flying and have a whole new respect for others who use it. I'll be taking my test this week.

One thing I didn't know is that there is a lot of commercial work being done with drones. It's possible that your real estate picture could lead to being asked to inspect a tower, power lines or a farmers field, for example, in a controlled airspace or within 5 miles of a Class G airport. Once you starting taking pics commercially, it could most definitely lead to more. You just never know and the FAA wants you to be prepared if that happens. I'm doing commercial work now for a town but my pics won't be used until after I get my certification. This work for the town, is taking pictures of a bridge replacement for their upcoming Town Report. I'm using both my land camera Canon 6D and my M2P drone.

Anyway, that's my two pennies. Have a great day Super Dave!

One of the best and most comprehensive replies about this topic I've seen in a good while. Thanks for adding reason to the conversation.

Reactions: Mavic Maveric
It is ridiculous for that. However, that's not all there is to the commercial application of drones. The FAA is trying to cover all bases for all situations with one set of rules.
The house you are trying to photograph may be in class G airspace, but someone else may be taking a picture of a house within class B airspace, or today's job maybe in G, but tomorrow's in B, and the whole idea is to be able to evaluate what, where, and when there is risk to other aircraft, and the property below your drone.
It also seems ridiculous because the drone is a plastic 'toy', but 1.X pounds coming down in a free fall exerts significant force upon impact.
The MP1 has a metal plate in the chasis. I know that I do not want that landing on my head from 400 feet regardless of the likelihood of that happening.
You may see video of flights out in the middle of nowhere, and there is no real risk. And, you'll see illegal flights in congested areas, and the risk increases; significantly. This is going on all across the country all of the time.

Part of the challenge is balancing risk vs reward. The comparatively minor income from drone jobs is more than offset by the potential liability of failed jobs.

At time passes you may gain greater understanding for why the rules exist.

BTW...questions around the 'attitude' you are exhibiting in this thread may appear on the exam.

Hope this doesn't tick you off, but you asked. Not long ago, I looked at this the same way you do. Now, I have a greater understanding of the bigger picture. With the potential for greater commercial application emerging, it may be that the FAA got out in front of this.

And another Spot On reply! Well done!!

Reactions: Mavic Maveric
I am a little better than half way through a course before taking my Part 107 test. Wow...so much to know. I am search for input about the test from those who've taken it. Any advise? Thanks.
Tony Northrup on Youtube has a great video for the test. I watched it a few times, and then bought the Remote Pilot Test Prep on amazon. Those two things were plenty of preparation IMO.

Tony Northrup on Youtube has a great video for the test. I watched it a few times, and then bought the Remote Pilot Test Prep on amazon. Those two things were plenty of preparation IMO.
Started watching his video, very good !!

I took the test last week and passed it. I am a Part 107 Certificate Holder, although I won't receive it in the mail for a while.

I took the test last week and passed it. I am a Part 107 Certificate Holder, although I won't receive it in the mail for a while.
I did the same and passed the test today. The only other thing I used was the FAA part 107 study guide (free online ) in the areas of weather and air space to help understand these areas better.

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little ridiculous to have to study that much, just to, say take a picture of a house for sale for a realtor for a fee ? I am all for safety, and needed rules but come on..

It’s really not that difficult, and if you are good at business- you will be doing more photos which may indeed require shooting in more complicated airspace some day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga