DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA registration number placement

Read the NEW rules. The FAA number must be on the exterior. It can no longer be in a battery compartment, or any hidden area

Thanks FunN4LO. I thought I was reading the new rule but when checking again I realized it was the old. Appreciate your feedback.

I put my FAA registration numbers, name and phone number labels on all my fixed-wing, rotary, and multi-rotor sUASs. However, the justification for the rule change seems lame to me in that a criminal who intends to do harm to others using an explosive, etc. isn’t going to follow the rules and surely there are some criminals who are smart enough to build an untraceable sUAS from scratch that will achieve their criminal intent given how accessible and cheap the technology is. Assuming the regulators are smart enough to know this, I have to wonder what do they really hope to accomplish?

I hate to “say this out loud,” but is anyone thinking the same thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimrpr13
I find it a bit up stong that you call a person "criminal" just because someone does not jump right on it start printing/buying labels.
I would rather use the word "delinquent".
I find it cruel that FAA made me register these fine crafts :(

PS: see... registered N480PZ :)

:) mark-it2.jpg

I find it a bit up stong that you call a person "criminal" just because someone does not jump right on it start printing/buying labels.
I would rather use the word "delinquent".
I find it cruel that FAA made me register these fine crafts :(

PS: see... registered N480PZ :)

Sorry to mislead you if my wording wasn’t clear, but that’s not what I said or meant. I mean “actual criminals” who intend to do harm, not folks without labels on their sUASs.

Update - Ok, I reread my post and can see how you could interpret what I wrote the way you did. Sorry again. I clarified my post to avoid similar confusion. Thanks

Last edited:
I read the rule and thought it states that if the # is placed in a compartment, it must be accessible to view without the use of tools. If that’s correct then you should be able to put the # in the battery bay of a MA (as example) since no tools are required to remove the battery and view the #.

Not anymore. They have to be visible and can’t be in the battery compartment anymore.

Master don't make them for the m2 p yet, you must have cheap ones.

Master don't make them for the m2 p yet, you must have cheap ones.
I keep checking with MasterAirScrew asking them when they are going to make them for the Mavic 2 series but they don’t have them for sale yet. They told me that it would be sometime soon but so far they haven’t gotten back to me about if/when they will be ready to purchase them.

If you get a chance they are nice. They will make them if not designing now, I'm glad they fine tune it before they just whip it together and throw it at us.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Hi Guys.
I'm looking for ideas for placing the Operator's ID to a Mavic Air here in the UK which became law as of yesterday. I've had a play around with alternatives and wondering if anyone has tried transfers rather than self-adhesive stickers. I've attached a sample of the kind of thing I want to try. I'm not sure if something like "letraset" would work or whether there are other kinds of transfer systems similar to Airfix models. Any help would be appreciated. Something like the attached.

Attachments

• Drone03 Stickers.jpg
    Drone03 Stickers.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 18
There's no requirement that you 'disfigure' your drone by putting your operator number on the outside. Put it in the battery compartment.

(For non-UK folk reading this .. drones themselves are not registered, it is the 'operator' (usually the owner/pilot) that is registered. Hence many drones might have the same registration number .. the number of the responsible operator. )

Hi mfc,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, there appear to be some differences between the FAA (US) and the CAA (UK) requirements. As I understand, over here we need to have the Operators ID clearly displayed on the outside of the drone whilst view-able on the ground.
Similarly to you guys, it's the operator that is registered, not the drones themselves. Just looking for a neat way to get the decals on the bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird