DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

The wording they use is confusing, but they basically created two close, but separate instances:

1 - "Built in" ( what the FAA is calling "Standard") Remote ID
and
2 - Remote Module Remote ID.

The main changes for the Remote Module are:
A) - Broadcast Take off point instead of control station
B) - Let user no if it is not working before taking off (instead of actually preventing takeoff)
C)- Requires the user to maintain VLOS at all times (which is required now anyway, but part of the push for Remote ID is to eventually allow some more BVLOS flights).
Thanks,
You just saved me a whole bunch of reading.:)

Reactions: xspwhite
Me too, and there is probably an easy solution....The newer birds all seem to have dual Radios (2.4 and 5), so if the processor can handle it, one used to communicate with the controller, the other to broadcast. The question is how much does DJI want to invest in creating firmware, testing, and certifying old drones. Since we are 30+ months out from needing it and we'll likely be at Mavic 4 by then, as a total guess, the Mavic 2 series won't get any updates.
I think with how Ocusync was implemented, you could support Remote ID broadcasts while still communicating with the RC. A Wi-Fi broadcast message is basically just a data packet formatted for 802.11. It's not bi-directional communication, it blasts the message every second without any acknowledgement or reply messages coming back.

If a researcher could tweak the DDR memory bus of a PC to generate a weak Wi-Fi signal, DJI could augment their radio firmware to slip in a Wi-Fi broadcast package once a second. The advantage of a SDR is that you can change how the radio works with just a firmware update.

I apologize as I do not have time to read through the rules right now, but how does this affect a hobbyist flying only over his own property? Is remote ID going to be required for that?

Reactions: xspwhite
I think by the time all this stuff comes together, a lot of people will be flying under 250-gram drones.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Mavic 2 (and my understanding is most of dji current gen ) can already broadcast remote id. Now that said they (dji) were pushing for non networked ( cell ) iterations, as they were already compliant. The faa dropped the cell network requirement. But is the dji version compatible? To make it complaint, if it is, they just need a firmware update to force it on. As currently it's an opt in technology

it's wifi related, so I think it qualifies as ok

Last edited:
So to fly over people it also looks like prop guards will be required.

The executive summary document lists categories of drones. Does anyone know how these categories are defined?
Is the prop guard requirement strictly to be over people, and what exactly constitutes "over people"? Like a direct hover of a couple of feet, or any distance and general range above people?

Seems like it would be kind of difficult to manage prop guards in outdoor conditions, let alone manage to keep the drone under 250g wit them.

How are setups that are totally closed loop going to be prevented from flying when remote ID comes online? For example, a Mavic 2 Pro and smart controller that has not connected to the internet for any reason for nearly two years and is flown closed loop. It’s using GPS but never ever Wi-Fi.

I am just wondering how legacy drones that operate this way are all of the sudden going to not fly...

How are setups that are totally closed loop going to be prevented from flying when remote ID comes online? For example, a Mavic 2 Pro and smart controller that has not connected to the internet for any reason for nearly two years and is flown closed loop. It’s using GPS but never ever Wi-Fi.

I am just wondering how legacy drones that operate this way are all of the sudden going to not fly

Basically they are not going to be affected. They will be in non compliance...rouge if you will. The same with the question of flying over your own property...who is going to know or report? The whole thing is nuts and I suspect that long before this could be implemented it will be shot down...no pun intended ;)

I mean what kind of range can a bluetooth or wifi transmitter reach in the whole scheme of things given standard devices, 300 foot tops? The whole thing needs defined. Test your phone in hotspot mode and see how far you can go away from it and connect. That is where they are now, someone would have to be on scene for any of the proposed to work the way it is worded now being so vague. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I apologize as I do not have time to read through the rules right now, but how does this affect a hobbyist flying only over his own property? Is remote ID going to be required for that?
Even though you are flying over your own property, you will be in the National Air Space (NAS) regulated by the FAA, which means you will have to be in compliance with the Federal Aviation Regulations at that time. Remote ID may be required dependent upon what class drone you are flying and where you are flying.

Blue Skies & Happy Trails

Unfortunately, I think the add on module may have to be made by DJI, as one of the rules state that the module would have to prevent take off if not broadcasting and give the location of the controller. I don't see DJI working with any after third market players as it's not to their advantage in selling new drones. Who knows. I also have not read the entire pdf (actual language) so maybe there is something excluding the retrofitted add on modules for this.
Seems like an easy firmware upgrade to me. Dji already has limiting the drone mastered with geofencing. Same principle would apply if they modified the geofencing disable with their version of the transponder system through a frequency translator and transmitted their translated frequencies to the FAA. It’s the least they can do after we’ve all paid as much as 1700 for their product. Even if we had to pay 3$ a year per drone for DJI/FAA transponder translation service, it would be better than all of us having a mad scientist experience with a soldering iron. No recurring test?! That’s something to look forward to!

Basically they are not going to be affected. They will be in non compliance...rouge if you will. The same with the question of flying over your own property...who is going to know or report? The whole thing is nuts and I suspect that long before this could be implemented it will be shot down...no pun intended ;)

I mean what kind of range can a bluetooth or wifi transmitter reach in the whole scheme of things given standard devices, 300 foot tops? The whole thing needs defined. Test your phone in hotspot mode and see how far you can go away from it and connect. That is where they are now, someone would have to be on scene for any of the proposed to work the way it is worded now being so vague. :rolleyes:
That’s not necessarily true. WiFi signals are very capable. Trimble gps uses WiFi signal a mile on average. With a radio transmitter, I’ve had WiFi signal greater than a mile. Home WiFi was created for limited service. It’s definitely not a benchmark for capability.

Reactions: Rudiger
This is JUST NOW released so details to follow ASAP!

Remote Identification. A good start from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) – Drone Service Providers Alliance

Nights Ops and Recurrent Training from DSPA​

*Fixed error in duplicate links... sorry*

Do the new rules say who will be able to locate the pilot? If any person can find the drone operator, I see the potential for harrassment and theft of equipment.

So to fly over people it also looks like prop guards will be required.

The executive summary document lists categories of drones. Does anyone know how these categories are defined?
They use a technical definition that I can't quite wrap my head around because I'm not a Physics major.

For example, Category 2 says, in part, "a transfer of 11 foot-pounds of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object, does not contain any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being".

Uhhh, that would include...what?

DJI Spark? Or MA2? Or Inspire?

And are propeller guards sufficient to meet this requirement? Etc.

It also says, "Requires FAA-accepted means of compliance and FAA-accepted declaration of compliance."

I think it's a great move in the right direction, but it's also clear as mud.

They use a technical definition that I can't quite wrap my head around because I'm not a Physics major.

For example, Category 2 says, in part, "a transfer of 11 foot-pounds of kinetic energy upon impact from a rigid object, does not contain any exposed rotating parts that could lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being".

Uhhh, that would include...what?

DJI Spark? Or MA2? Or Inspire?

And are propeller guards sufficient to meet this requirement? Etc.

It also says, "Requires FAA-accepted means of compliance and FAA-accepted declaration of compliance."

I think it's a great move in the right direction, but it's also clear as mud.

Ya it seems like the only safe bet right now is the Air 2 since it’s less than .55g or whatever. I have a Mavic pro 2 with a lot of accessories invested. I don’t want to just not be able to use it because I can’t tell what category it fits in.

I got the email yesterday and glanced through the PDF file. We all have to remember that this is the FAA, A federal agency laying out the future for all drone flight. That also takes into play the commercial delivery services. They will be regulated to the max and the FAA is laying out those rules and regs from A to Z. It is a safety issue and I believe that RID Is necessary. We as hobbyists and professionals will either be able to retrofit our current aircraft or buy new with RID built in. DJI or other aftermarket companies will develop or may already have developed stick on modules to mount on our current machines. I for one am not worried, this whole system will play into accident avoidance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne