DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA's precise rules on small drones

Ian in London

Reactions
Lots of confusion generated by the marketing and some YouTube videos, so here's a very simple summary for the FAA's rules:

Flying for recreation (exemption under 107): Exempt from registration but all other rules apply, including proximity and controlled airspace
Flying under part 107: No exemptions at all. Registration required and all other rules apply.

FAA.jpg

Lots of confusion generated by the marketing and some YouTube videos, so here's a very simple summary for the FAA's rules:

Flying for recreation (exemption under 107): Exempt from registration but all other rules apply, including proximity and controlled airspace
Flying under part 107: No exemptions at all. Registration required and all other rules apply.

View attachment 84534

hi Ian thanks for the info above, perhaps you could do some research on the rules in the UK with regards to the mavic mini, and give us one of your in depth reports thanks OMM

hi Ian thanks for the info above, perhaps you could do some research on the rules in the UK with regards to the mavic mini, and give us one of your in depth reports thanks OMM

Jump to 2:37 in the video :) I go through USA, Canada, UK, Australia, France & Germany...

To be clear, in the UK, all rules apply, with the exception of registration and the online training coming in.
Cheers!
Ian

Last edited:
Jump to 2:37 in the video :) I go through USA, Canada, UK, Australia, France & Germany...

To be clear, in the UK, all rules apply, with the exception of registration and the online training coming in.
Cheers!
Ian
thanks for your reply, i must be getting old ,but when the new rules were being debated, i seem to remember somewhere that if a small drone had certain restrictions on weight ie under 250 grams,and also had its speed restricted below a certain rate then you would be able to fly it over people and also closer as it was not such a hazard as bigger more powerful drones, and the prop guards that come with the mini are very comprehensive in protecting someone from injury, i am not concerned with the registration process as i will have to do that anyway

maybe i got the info mixed up with all the reports that have been on the web lately

maybe i got the info mixed up with all the reports that have been on the web lately

You're probably not the only one! I didn't pay much attention to the sub-250g stuff since it's not likely to be an area of much interest to me (lack of resolution/image quality), but IIRC:
  1. Drone Code still applies, especially all the NFZ, VLOS, max altitude, and minimum separation stuff!
  2. I think there was some talk about the restrictions on minimum distances from buildings/crowds being reduced compared to larger drones, but can't find any official statement on this. My assumption is that this idea was scrapped and the same distances apply regardless of mass.
  3. Pilot/operator registration will not be required (e.g. no fees to the CAA)
  4. Drone registration will not be required
  5. CAA has no jurisdiction over indoor operation, so the building owner can set whatever rules they want (e.g. for drone racing events).

You're probably not the only one! I didn't pay much attention to the sub-250g stuff since it's not likely to be an area of much interest to me (lack of resolution/image quality), but IIRC:
  1. Drone Code still applies, especially all the NFZ, VLOS, max altitude, and minimum separation stuff!
  2. I think there was some talk about the restrictions on minimum distances from buildings/crowds being reduced compared to larger drones, but can't find any official statement on this. My assumption is that this idea was scrapped and the same distances apply regardless of mass.
  5. CAA has no jurisdiction over indoor operation, so the building owner can set whatever rules they want (e.g. for drone racing events).
thanks @zocalo i think that once you put the prop guards on it will actually be over the 250 gram limit ,which would not matter as you say for indoor use, as i am getting one from my daughter for Xmas ,i was interested in the rules for the sub 250 drones ,i am going to put a small flyer id on all my drones including the mini, and that way i can be in compliance after the 30th November regardless of weight ,

And for US/FAA operators here's a break down:
  1. FAA/CBO rules still applies, especially all the NFZ, VLOS, max altitude, and minimum separation stuff!
  2. Pilot/operator registration will not be required IF FLOWN FOR HOBBY
  3. Drone registration IS required IF FLOWN for PART 107 or Public COA operations
  4. FAA has no jurisdiction over indoor operation, so the building owner can set whatever rules they want (e.g. for drone racing events).

Reactions: Thomas B
According to this page on the proposed EASA (EU) regulations, you will be able to fly over "uninvolved people" (except "large gatherings") with a sub 250g drone - Open Category, subcategory A1. This appears to conflict with what the UK Drone Code says, although that doesn't specifically deal with drones under 250g.

Reactions: old man mavic
According to this page on the proposed EASA (EU) regulations, you will be able to fly over "uninvolved people" (except "large gatherings") with a sub 250g drone - Open Category, subcategory A1. This appears to conflict with what the UK Drone Code says, although that doesn't specifically deal with drones under 250g.

thanks i thought i had read it somewhere that the rules for small 250g drones were being relaxed at some point

The EU regs don’t count here in the UK. All EU countries are allowed to produce their own airspace laws (all member states can apply for derogation from EU laws - source me, I’m a civil servant).

The Air Navigation Order that covers recreational drone flying the laws apply to 'aircraft that have a mass of 20kg or less' - so it really doesn’t matter how light the weight is.

Source; Recreational drone flights | UK Civil Aviation Authority

I wonder if the Mini will have the same geofencing restrictions as all the other Mavic's, especially the "no fly zones"?

I wonder if the Mini will have the same geofencing restrictions as all the other Mavic's, especially the "no fly zones"?
Yes

Welcome to the forum :)

Odds are YES! That's very much a fundamental thing with DJI any more so I don't see it going away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG