DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fancier propellers (Mini 3 Pro)

Paul Iddon

Reactions
So I have noticed there are props other than the black ones with the orange tips that come with drone, but is there any advantage in the fancier props you see advertised?

Paul

The only props other than OEM props that I have ever used are made by Master Airscrew. Their products are trustworthy. As far as better performance or even quieter sounds, well that is debatable.

Reactions: Paul Iddon
The only props other than OEM props that I have ever used are made by Master Airscrew. Their products are trustworthy. As far as better performance or even quieter sounds, well that is debatable.

Thanks.

Apparently not compatible with the MP3 Pro though..

Reactions: BigAl07 and Cafguy
Yes, we have some over here the stealth ones, but I know of nobody that has tries them

So I have noticed there are props other than the black ones with the orange tips that come with drone, but is there any advantage in the fancier props you see advertised?

Paul
Fancier in what way?
At least with DJI props you may have a chance of recompense if a new prop broke, perhaps with Master screw too, but would the retailers of 'fancy' props offer the same backups or would you trust those props?
DJI only here, I do have a set of fancy illuminated props for a P3.......I think.... but I think I only used them once and cant even remember where they are now.
I would 'like to know' if after market props are supplied "balanced" or in balanced pairs, at x,000rpm that may be a significant consideration.

Fancier in what way?
At least with DJI props you may have a chance of recompense if a new prop broke, perhaps with Master screw too, but would the retailers of 'fancy' props offer the same backups or would you trust those props?
DJI only here, I do have a set of fancy illuminated props for a P3.......I think.... but I think I only used them once and cant even remember where they are now.
I would 'like to know' if after market props are supplied "balanced" or in balanced pairs, at x,000rpm that may be a significant consideration.

Fancier in better design, quieter, less likely to suffer damage in a mishap...

I've had no serious crashes but have nicked bits off props on landings, and I'm down to 2xA's a 1xB pack, so I was thinking of ordering some more.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
With the difficulty I have keeping my eye on the Mini2, I kind of depend on hearing the props...as long as I can, anyway...the noise has been helpful when bringing it in and I lose it in the sun
This is an excellent point 👍

I've had no serious crashes but have nicked bits off props on landings, and I'm down to 2xA's a 1xB pack, so I was thinking of ordering some more.
Ah noise is not something I can hear lol, though I do wonder about the general public.
As for damage resistance, I would suggest either accepting damage as a part and parcel of flying or modifing your landing practises i.e. hand catch or land on mats, that keep the blades away from grass and twigs.

The 2 "accidents" were tarmac as the wind tipped the front end down in the first, then a wall in the second as I tried to land on my bag on anatrow pathway in tripod mode, and the drone weirdly shifted just before touchdown, lol...

Ah, strictly speaking not related, but I fly a Mini 1 & 2 indoors a lot,.
I have the distinct impression that cine/tripod is the 'worst' in terms of position control and stabliity in close quarters. N and sports mode seem to give MUCH more stable results with better position holding.

You really do want to props to be the first component to break away to absorb the shock/impact as an added layer of protection.
The MAS props are sli more brittle for this very reason.

I have Master Airscrew Props on all of my drones. The only non OEM props I'd ever trust. The company has been making props, and props alone, for 50 years for the RC market. They started as Windsor Prop Company and supplied fixed wing DIY RC builders/pilots with quality propellers.
I prefer them simply for the color - it makes it a bit easier to spot my drone in the sky and immensely easier to spot a drone that has crashed in a tree, shrub, or field. The performance and "stealth" factor varies greatly from DJI model to DJI model with these props, and the supposed advantages of less noise or increased flight times has never been a motivation for me - I simply like the color selections. And on a sunny day and at the right angle, the props seem to glow in flight!

You really do want to props to be the first component to break away to absorb the shock/impact as an added layer of protection.
The MAS props are sli more brittle for this very reason.

BINGO! I learned this the HARD way with my R/C helicopter experiences. I "thought" I wanted really tough blades but then I had to learn how to replace shafts, rods, etc deeper and deeper into the aircraft (deeper = more TIME and more $$).

The blade should take the "hit" and break apart instead of transferring all that energy into more expensive parts of the airframe.

Can you paint the props??
Can you? Yes you "Can" but keep in mind you're adding weight, possibly changing balance, and even potentially changing the shape of the blade (it's just an airfoil).
I would never paint props. It would change the balance of the props and might cause you to crash
We "balanced" our micro Heli and Airplane blades with fingernail polish so making them unbalanced is a very real possibility. With the higher RPMs of our current UAS that problem is amplified.

Paul
At one time I was interested in 3rd party props... but was convinced that OEM was the best way to go. Doesn't matter all the stories heard about how good they were. In the end, you just can't beat OEM props... no matter what color you wanted

Can you paint the props??
You can, but I wouldn't. Painted props were a thing on fixed wing RC planes for a while, but just painting one prop and balancing it was a lot of time and work. Apply paint, file away paint, apply paint, repeat... Now do that on 4 props. IOW much easier to just buy.
Back when the Phantom line was new, some of us soaked the white props in RIT dye for 24 hours trying to dye them. We had easter egg pastel props in pink, baby blue, light mint, etc. Plastic doesn't dye well, but it didn't require balancing the props at least!

I have Master Airscrew Props on all of my drones. The only non OEM props I'd ever trust. The company has been making props, and props alone, for 50 years for the RC market. They started as Windsor Prop Company and supplied fixed wing DIY RC builders/pilots with quality propellers.
I prefer them simply for the color - it makes it a bit easier to spot my drone in the sky and immensely easier to spot a drone that has crashed in a tree, shrub, or field. The performance and "stealth" factor varies greatly from DJI model to DJI model with these props, and the supposed advantages of less noise or increased flight times has never been a motivation for me - I simply like the color selections. And on a sunny day and at the right angle, the props seem to glow in flight!
Absolutely agree here and add, that I do also think there is a sound advantage too. With my Air2S I tested the MAS and OEM props. At ground level they were indeed the same decibel level, only the MAS were lower pitch. Much less scientific here, but then I did a few tests with each prop to max height were I could still hear the drone. I stopped hearing the drone at about 150 feet with the MAS and well over 300 feet with the higher pitch OEM. So in that respect I would give MAS the nod as a quieter prop. Keep in mind that any given day, you'd likely have a different experience here based on wind, temp and humidity, but I think the relatively anyone who repeated the test would confirm the higher pitch travels further and is more noticeable at a greater distance or altitude.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13