DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Farthest Distance?

maarkrobinson

Reactions
Just recently got my Mavic and I feel nervous to fly a far distance away from me. I know it can go 7km but it's hard to be comfortable letting the drone get far away. I have no problem flying up high because I can see it right above me but when flying vertically I get worried because I'm scared that trees or buildings will get in the way of my signal and then my Mavic crashing.

So my question is how far of a distance have you flown it and how long did it take for you to gain the nerve to do that?

Rule is: fly in sight.problem solved
The problem is if you really truely flew within line of sight with the Mavic you really wouldn't fly that far from you maybe 200 feet or so. The mavic is so small I can barely make it once it gets a few hundred feet from me. My Phantom I could keep track of that for at-least 800 feet.

The problem is if you really truely flew within line of sight with the Mavic you really wouldn't fly that far from you maybe 200 feet or so.
Yeah, not true, done 2 lots of 1200m los flights (with spotters to confirm visual and distance) but 1000m is probably the more comfortable range

7,427 ft as of last weekend for me, thanks to awesome visibility and a long, looong stretch of highway.

Reactions: JMF
when flying vertically I get worried because I'm scared that trees or buildings will get in the way of my signal and then my Mavic crashing.

So my question is how far of a distance have you flown it and how long did it take for you to gain the nerve to do that?

I have only gone a little over 7700 feet out 390' altitude and never lost a bar of either signal . I did make a couple of flights in a different direction where I lost one bar of each signal at around 5800 feet but quickly regained full signal a moment later . I think I was at 200' those flights . Just make sure your RTH settings are set correctly , (Test it out when within LOS just to be sure ) , and watch your signals .

Reactions: hychewright
Just recently got my Mavic and I feel nervous to fly a far distance away from me. I know it can go 7km but it's hard to be comfortable letting the drone get far away. I have no problem flying up high because I can see it right above me but when flying vertically I get worried because I'm scared that trees or buildings will get in the way of my signal and then my Mavic crashing.

Hi, I've been out to almost 19,000 ft and back with 24% battery.20170301_200335.jpg

Reactions: Kestrel
I havent took mine on an absolute range test but 8k is more than enough for me and i know it can go further. Its a nice thing to have...

Reactions: hychewright
The problem is if you really truely flew within line of sight with the Mavic you really wouldn't fly that far from you maybe 200 feet or so. The mavic is so small I can barely make it once it gets a few hundred feet from me. My Phantom I could keep track of that for at-least 800 feet.
I could not agree more. Most of my flights so far have been on the outskirts of a city so I have been careful to do things the 'right' way compared to how I used to fly my original Phantom when they first came out and there were no real rules or guidance. It's like a double whammy, not only is the grey colour and the size making it hard to see but now there is moral pressure to set a good example.

Now as I am no longer a spring chicken, just like Kestrel above I have real difficulty re-acquiring the Mavic if I have been looking down at my screen. I have just ordered a Flytron strobe to help get round the problem.

I am far away from any other people on my own property.

I fly out to around 5km on almost every flight, furthest out I went was 8.5km.

Flown 131 hours and 3000km so far and it has not once decided to fly away or fall out the sky

this guy used a Phantom but I imagine even with the Pro 8 km should be no problem. Interference and wind are more likely to limit you rather than the capability.

I have flown out 20,000ft and back with mine. Plenty far enough.

There is a distance thread on here that states the top distances of stock and modded Mavics.

My longest flight, I drove the area before hand & found some landmarks, one a water tower being constructed I used as a "better turn for home about here". Drove back to my cematary on a hill take off point (approx. 6km;s plus)& flew till I saw the water tower, circled it & hit RTH.
Still, heart in my mouth till I could hear those motors. Flew manually, there a back a few times too, with nothing but grasslands around, full signal .

Just wait till you start doing Litchi waypoint missions hoping it comes back.

Longest I've been on a Litchi mission is 38,000 ft, but it wasn't a straight line. I flew around a baseball stadium. I took off, told it to go, then set the controller down and watched my kids play till it came back.

Reactions: John Cowley

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark