DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Favorite places to fly in Alabama

leman

Reactions
I’m in Oxford, AL and just wondering where some of y’alls favorite places to fly are? I’m from Guntersville so planning on heading back there soon to get some shots of the lake and surrounding parks. Lots of options out in the National Forest.

Lake Martin, Logan Martin Lake, Lay Lake, Smith Lake, Lake Jordan, Mobile Bay, Bayou La Batre, Claiborne Dam,

All good places to fly. Some areas are trying to get ordinances passed to limit drones, but I don't think many have passed. The dams on these lakes are cool to shoot, especially when they are overflowing, as long as you keep some height and distance, they don't care. I see drones on Lay Lake and Logan Martin lakes all the time. You'll have to watch out there cause sometimes I've seen as many as a dozen from one spot. It seems everyone has a drone and flies around their boats while out partying.

Reactions: spicciani2
Huntsville AL. has a space park that's loaded with good rockets of all sizes. I don't know if you can fly there but it will have some of the best photos you will get. nick

I tried to go to Little River Canyon in Fort Payne only to find out its a national park and not allowed. This would have been some amazing footage of a waterfall

Huntsville AL. has a space park that's loaded with good rockets of all sizes. I don't know if you can fly there but it will have some of the best photos you will get. nick
@nick neville It is my understanding that the USSRC doesn’t allow flights on their property and have had security make people leave. I know someone who worked there and said they had “no drones” signs posted. I live in the area, so I get to see the rockets frequently as I drive by.

You might be able to get some nice shots from south of I-565, just don’t fly over cars...

I tried to go to Little River Canyon in Fort Payne only to find out its a national park and not allowed. This would have been some amazing footage of a waterfall
@mgardner36460 Try DeSoto Falls, I’ve gotten some nice shots from there. It is a state park, so they don’t prohibit drones. Just fly responsibly and be a goodwill ambassador for the hobby as you fly so we may keep flying in AL State Parks.

I’m in Oxford, AL and just wondering where some of y’alls favorite places to fly are? I’m from Guntersville so planning on heading back there soon to get some shots of the lake and surrounding parks. Lots of options out in the National Forest.
There are several nice places near Guntersville on Sand Mountain. How about Buck’s Pocket?

Is it possible to get footage of the Guntersville Dam?

There are several nice places near Guntersville on Sand Mountain. How about Buck’s Pocket?

Is it possible to get footage of the Guntersville Dam?
I live about 30 min from Guntersville Dam I might give it a try probably if you take off from below the dam In the parking lot

Do you know about Monte Sano state park?

I'm pretty sure the rocket park is going to be inside the no-fly zone of the airport on the Arsenal. You'd have to check the maps, but that's what I recall when I was flying east of that location.

Do you know about Monte Sano state park?
That is heavily wooded state park. Not sure if you can fly out of there or not, but once you get up about all you'll see are trees and rolling mountains in every direction. Downtown huntsville and development that way if you point West.

That is heavily wooded state park. Not sure if you can fly out of there or not, but once you get up about all you'll see are trees and rolling mountains in every direction. Downtown huntsville and development that way if you point West.
The Huntsville night sky can be viewed from the ledges of Mono Sano, the campground is there and some of the sites are clear enough to launch from.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007