DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Favorite Places to Fly in DFW

Thanks, Jvinton. Did you take 380 and then went down south at Lincoln Park? Sorey, don't know the area that well...
I actually came up I35 from the Dallas area. The actual address comes up as
2000 Main St, Hickory Creek, TX 75065. If you put that into Waze or Google Maps, it should take to you Westlake Park.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Thanks, Jvinton. Did you take 380 and then went down south at Lincoln Park? Sorey, don't know the area that well...
I actually came up I35 from the Dallas area. The actual address comes up as
2000 Main St, Hickory Creek, TX 75065. If you put that into Waze or Google Maps, it should get you the front entrance.
There also seems to be a nice nature preserve area that I've seen talked about (need to go there too) on the lake as well: 201 E Jones St, Lewisville, TX 75057

Great video. super gutsy to fly that far out over water. I was stressing just watching it.
Thanks! Unfortunately there's not a whole lot in the DFW area that don't include water. Would love to film closer to downtown, but I try to follow the rules...

Thanks! Unfortunately there's not a whole lot in the DFW area that don't include water. Would love to film closer to downtown, but I try to follow the rules...

There's a bunch of that fly on Sundays at Los Rios Golf Course in Plano -- 75074 -- Miles and miles of uncontrolled airspace.

There's a bunch of that fly on Sundays at Los Rios Golf Course in Plano -- 75074 -- Miles and miles of uncontrolled airspace.
Nice! May have to come out on a sunday, that's when I do a majority of my flying.

Hey, did you get the chance to go out to the lake?

Hey, did you get the chance to go out to the lake?
Yes, I did go out on Saturday. Great weather, sunny just a little windy. Great location with absolutely noone around except the very occasional runner...very good recommendation...police officer was driving by a few times as well but he was more curious than anything..I had asked him about flying drones there when I entered the park and he said go for it...

Rockledge Park on Lake Grapevine, Flag Hill near White Rock Lake, Lake Levon, Lake Ray Hubbard, Arbor Hills Park, tall buildings near Coit and 75 (on Saturdays).

Man things have changed over the years at Lake Lewisville.

Back in the '70s when I was a kid, we could ride our dirtbikes on the old Lake Dallas Dam, all the way to the cut. At some point in the late '80s they raised the level of the lake, but before that the old bridge was dry and you could ride past. The old dam was whole all the way to the cut, past that pink building (Gauging Station) and much of the old road surface was intact. (old Highway 24) That first section cut wasn't there.

When they built the new larger dam and created the Garza Little Elm Reservoir, they blew open the old Lake Dallas Dam, leaving most of it intact. Here's an old postcard of the bridge, that concrete structure flown over in the video:

Lake Dallas.png

And an actual picture of it overflowing:

Old Lake Dallas Spillway.png

The original Lake Dallas was much smaller than the current Lake Lewisville (Garza Little Elm).

Old Lake Dallas.png

Saw there were some notices about drone flying on Lake Whitney's website, so figured I'd stay closer to home. Managed to hit Lincoln Park in south Dallas and then Lewisville Lake. It was too brutally hot for me to get in enough flying time. I guess I'll wait for it to cool down a little.

When I'm engaged by a Client I try to do my shooting during the Blue Hour (hour around sunrise) or the Golden Hour (hour around sunset), as it's the best light and has the best shadows for contrast. This time of year it's 99% Blue Hour because it's too dang hot after 11:00 am. I'm up well before sunrise and onsite just as the Sun is breaking the horizon. It's nice and cool, the light is fantastic and hardly any people are out and about. I try to be finished by 10:30 to 11:00 am and back in the Studio by Noon.

The afternoon light is harsh and no shadows, plus it's friggan hot. Way too hot for me. I step outside and within 5 minutes I'm dripping with sweat. Sunset isn't as bad, but from late July through mid-September I'm a morning person. Now is the time we earn our 75 degree days in January.

I wonder if it's ok to fly over the Dallas Arboretum. Would be nice to get some video of all the flowers, which reminds me, anyone know of a good spot with a lot of bluebonnets? I see a few highway medians with nice patches, but would like to get a nice safe field in which to film.

I fly all over Lake Grapevine. I've milked it! ?

Here's one from last weekend from Lake Grapevine. I actually let my mavic take a breather and I did this on a Phantom 3 Standard. I think I'm going to head to Mallard Cove tomorrow.

Hello. Respect for the cinematography. Beautiful. Given that Lake Grapevine is somewhat large of an area, could you please tell me where and how to get to the best launch site?

Spent time at Lewisville Lake today...many of the roads were gated off but I found a few places...
I would love to fly at Lake Lewisville. I am new to the area and do not know where the cool places are, however, panoramas of the lake and shoreline are whispering to me. Can you please provide direction advice?

Reactions: koco2202
I would love to fly at Lake Lewisville. I am new to the area and do not know where the cool places are, however, panoramas of the lake and shoreline are whispering to me. Can you please provide direction advice?

Nice video mate. Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121