DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FCC mode in CE area

So guys who have tested this successfully, what is your dji go app version?
Latest version of DJI & Litchi - not flown with the updates but have flown many times with DJI & FCC hack and no issues. Tested the hack several times indoors (with Litchi) connecting and disconnecting and no issues. However I use IOS (iPad mini 4) and have never had a problem with either app since day 1.

another question..

when we update the dji4 app, fcc mode automaticaly change to ce mode without any asking..

i learned it when i check the channel quantites.. i dont remember that i change it..

does anyone know this ? or i remembered wrong..

Updates might cancel the hack and then you will just have to run the hack again. Basically if DJI or Litchi (latest version) asks if you want to reset your region you must say NO (cancel). If the app it does not ask, then the hack is not working and you need to do it again. I've done it a few times now and it is easy (for me) with IOS but you do need a computer - wish we had a GPS hack like Android.

Reactions: dewr83
another question..

when we update the dji4 app, fcc mode automaticaly change to ce mode without any asking..

i learned it when i check the channel quantites.. i dont remember that i change it..

does anyone know this ? or i remembered wrong..
You remember wrong

I travel between Canada and the US often. After reading about the signal differences (pertaining to distance) between FCC and CE, I decided to go with the US standard (FCC). In other words, while in the US, I agreed to set my wi-fi to the FCC standard when it came up on the GO4 application. When in Canada, I choose to cancel/ignore the request to change it back.

As a result, I am able to maintain the 5Ghz signal for greater distance, without degradation of the video feed. I have no scientific data to produce but the differences in video performance were stark imho. We're not talking 2 miles here, I don't need to push it that far...I am talking a very reasonable 3/4th mile to 1-mile distance. FCC all the way in my opinion. I still leave signal selection on auto (2.4 or 5Ghz) whichever is least busy. Obviously, the 5Ghz is where the rubber meets the road.

I am not a "signals communication" expert. I have no idea why each country chose the way it did. Obviously, Canada is 1/10th of the population of the US. So, why the stronger signal is allowed in a more densely populated area??? Perhaps, the stronger signal is needed to project over all the other signal noise? or...the rules were set before a need arose to change them? Got me, ask a signals expert, lol.

I say drones need their own signal type/bandwidth. The UAV/drone location needs to be handled/coordinated by a data processing center (connected to the various air traffic centers). The secure application could verify your type of flying, authorization etc. The drone user could stop worrying about the insane set of rules and simply plan a trip and video/photo the beautiful scenery knowing they won't kill someone flying overhead in a helicopter, airplane. The system would coordinate authorization/timing and override your input if required for safety reasons. All the while, keeping your UAV safe (lowering altitude when required). Come on innovators, you can do this, lol. I lack the code writing experience or I would do it for you.

Canada is FCC compliant, you do not have to deal with CE here. I travel to the USA often and have never been asked about regions on my Air either. If you are getting pop-ups pertaining to FCC/CE areas that is very strange.

Reactions: Rorywquin
It works as expected with the latest android go4.

I hope they will not fix this hack soon :).

Well actually DJI can very well "fix" the hack, if it starts using the Air's GPS to determine its position instead of the smartphone's. Let's hope they don't do that.

Well actually DJI can very well "fix" the hack, if it starts using the Air's GPS to determine its position instead of the smartphone's. Let's hope they don't do that.
They can if they like (or if EU force them)
They can remove the unitial question on start. I believe flying like this in EU is most probably illegal :)

Hi everyone,
I read part of this giant thread but I couldn't find a definitive answer to my plight. I am in Europe and I can't seem to switch to FCC mode while in the field.

TL;DR: when the drone gets GPS signal, the RC-drone link won't reset after switching modes and even rebooting everything makes it stay in CE mode.

I use Android for my Air (in good part due to the easiness of switching to FCC mode) and everything's been fine, however I've been trying DroneDeploy with the Mavic Air and it reverted to CE mode. No problem, I thought, just do the whole FakeGPS thing again. Except... I just can't make it work while in the field. I've tried every single possible sequence of events: link the RC to the bird first, then connect to USB; do the reverse; keep the app open, keep it closed, have it opened by Android; use my iPhone as a hotspot so there's data (which I don't hve directly on that Android phone as it's a secondary device for me), keep wifi off entirely, even enable airplane mode, etc.
I do occasionally manage to get the message to switch to a different area (generally when FakeGPS is active, so it's when it should switch to FCC mode) but the link between the RC and the Mavic Air never resets. Even turning everything off and on at that point (whether I kill the DJI Go 4 app and/or FakeGPS or not in between) will always show 13 channels in hte 2.4 range. Choosing a channel manually won't help either. I literally wasted half a battery of the Air doing tests in the field while mosquitos feasted on my legs.

But, and this is the odd thing, as soon as I got home — 5 minutes later as I was in a field just out of here — it worked perfectly on the first attempt. I did absolutely nothing different than in the field, the only difference is that the Air didn't get any GPS signal as I was inside (and I had wifi from broadband, so we can rule wifi/data availability out): enabled FakeGPS, turned everything on, got the message, hit okay, the RC LED went red and then green again, and I was in FCC mode.

I did watch
which was recommended in this thread, and I do not have to set it up again after switching to FCC mode; if I'm outside GPS it just unlinks and relinks the RC to the drone; if I'm under GPS nothing happens, not even if I reboot everything. Essentially, it's as if it sees that the drone is in CE mode and it ignores the hack.

I'm using DJI Go 4.3.0 on Android 7 (Moto G5, but I doubt that makes any difference).

Is there *any* way to restore FCC mode in the field? It's getting quite frustrating, not so much for DroneDeploy (it was just a test), but rather because I'm kind of terrified I may accidentally switch it back to CE mode and be unable to get it back to FCC mode.

Any help is most welcome... I got Nutella to offer in exchange. :)

Have you switched the MA off while you try to do it?
Yes, I tried switching it off and on at various points during the whole process in the field: before turning on the RC, after turning on the RC, before even connecting the RC to the phone in the first place, after I finally got the message to change the settings...
When I was home I did this:
- Connect the phone to the RC (which was off)
- Enable FakeGPS
- Turn on drone and RC (they linked up)
- Android asks which app to open, DroneDeploy or DJI Go 4 (I chose the latter)
- Ran its checks and said I was in a different area (clicked ok)
- RC and drone split up and linked up again
And all was good.

In the field I tried literally everything, including that very same sequence and even turning off the phone in between just in case, and it just didn't interrupt up the connection after changing mode, and would go back to CE. Not sure if they changed anything with a recent update but it does seem the drone's GPS is the issue. :(

Canada is FCC compliant, you do not have to deal with CE here. I travel to the USA often and have never been asked about regions on my Air either. If you are getting pop-ups pertaining to FCC/CE areas that is very strange.

Canada is certainly FCC compliant because it's below the FCC signals interference threshold. Using CE specifications reduces signal strength thus reduces the chances of interference even further than FCC specs. I guarantee if you are flying your DJI CE/FCC compatible drone in Canada, you will be flying in CE mode. Exception Mavic Air: If previous FCC mode was used on the most recent flight, you will get a wifi signal warning indicating you need to update your wifi settings. If you accept/okay the warning, you are in CE mode. If you cancel, the Mavic Air will remain in FCC mode. If flying the new MP2, no option is available that I am aware to change the signal standard from CE to FCC...it uses Ocusync 2 and must switch automatically based on your device location.

Yes, I tried switching it off and on at various points during the whole process in the field: before turning on the RC, after turning on the RC, before even connecting the RC to the phone in the first place, after I finally got the message to change the settings...
When I was home I did this:
- Connect the phone to the RC (which was off)
- Enable FakeGPS
- Turn on drone and RC (they linked up)
- Android asks which app to open, DroneDeploy or DJI Go 4 (I chose the latter)
- Ran its checks and said I was in a different area (clicked ok)
- RC and drone split up and linked up again
And all was good.

In the field I tried literally everything, including that very same sequence and even turning off the phone in between just in case, and it just didn't interrupt up the connection after changing mode, and would go back to CE. Not sure if they changed anything with a recent update but it does seem the drone's GPS is the issue. :(

Be inside or wherever the drone does not have contact with gps, then try

I got problem with the FCC at the moment.. I've been flying a spark for a while with FCC without any trouble. But today i got my Air and was out for a testrun. First thing that happen is that the DJI GO4 says "different area blabla" and there was no option to cancel? there was just "ok". I pressed it and thought that i can fix it back home. But now i try to spoof the gps on my iphone, start up everything, and the app doesnt react to the changed location.. What did I do wrong? How to fix?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks