DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FDC 9/9586 - Banning flying near Navy vessels

dawgpilot

Reactions
Anyone notice this new NOTAM? FDC 9/9586 apparently bans flying UAVs 3000FT laterally and 1000FT above any US Navy vessels OPERATING, TRANSITING, OR AT PORT WITHIN THE TERRITORIAL WATERS AND/OR NAVIGABLE WATERS OF THE USA. In addition to that general prohibition, a bunch of new areas (for example, around NYC) have now been labeled with new TFRs on the FAA's UAS map.

Reactions: AMann
We were discussing this last night at a meeting I was attending. That's gonna hurt some people who are used to flying around those ships.

I wouldn’t approach a naval ship with a private boat, don’t see why this would be anything different, especially with a foreign built drone...

I agree, but the 3000 foot lateral limitation puts a lot of shore areas off limits that are adjacent to where some of these Navy boats park or transit.

Reactions: AMann
And so I assume they will be posting the real time locations of all navy vessels now? Or how does the FAA suppose I should know if one is within 3000 feet. Does this also mean you can fly above the standard 400 feet to avoid them?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Does this also mean you can fly above the standard 400 feet to avoid them?

Absolutely not! I suppose that was probably a sarcastic question (tongue in cheek) but just in case I wanted to answer it promptly.

And so I assume they will be posting the real time locations of all navy vessels now? Or how does the FAA suppose I should know if one is within 3000 feet. Does this also mean you can fly above the standard 400 feet to avoid them?

It basically means that you cannot fly within 3000 ft of any port used by the US Navy. Those are not hard to identify. For vessels at sea, you should be able to spot a warship at 3000 ft.

This will cause a few minor issues where I fly. I am in Annapolis and we have the U.S. Naval Academy that is located directly next to our beautiful and fun to fly historic downtown area. I am not quite sure if the academy boats qualify as Navy vessels but regardless, just across the river from the academy is a lesser known about Navy Station that has vessels docked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857