DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fears of flying over water

I can relate to the fear. Reading this forum makes me think the Mavics sometime dive for the water. But if the forum is any indicator, it seems like the Mini's have the greatest number of "incidents" over water. I realize its purely anecdotal evidence about mostly the Mini's. But its still enough to make me worry about it with an M2P to put the fear in me. I really dont want to lose my drone.

However, I recently flew my M2P about a mile over water (Ohio River) to reach an island and do some photo shots. I came back into a headwind of about 15 kts. It worked flawlessly. Its really an amazing device. I had full strength signal the entire time. I just made sure I started back well before the RTH dot on the flight time bar. Im not sure if the RTH dot is calculated with wind taken into account.

I think its ok. Just keep an eye on the signal strength, RTH status, and set your RTH altitude to a safe level and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
I can relate to the fear. Reading this forum makes me think the Mavics sometime dive for the water. But if the forum is any indicator, it seems like the Mini's have the greatest number of "incidents" over water. I realize its purely anecdotal evidence about mostly the Mini's. But its still enough to make me worry about it with an M2P to put the fear in me. I really dont want to lose my drone.

However, I recently flew my M2P about a mile over water (Ohio River) to reach an island and do some photo shots. I came back into a headwind of about 15 kts. It worked flawlessly. Its really an amazing device. I had full strength signal the entire time. I just made sure I started back well before the RTH dot on the flight time bar. Im not sure if the RTH dot is calculated with wind taken into account. I think its ok. Just keep an eye on the signal strength, RTH status, and set your RTH altitude to a safe level and you should be fine.
it does not know the wind speed, it works out the battery left to return based on distance traveled, and GPS position in relation to the home point, that's why it is always better to fly the outward journey into the wind if possible

Reactions: Dbez1 and SqFt
Be aware ... of reinforced concrete docks (pretty obvious that one ...) & bridge decks looking to be made of wood ... but perhaps have a larger metal structure below.

Even just steel nails or screws are enough if you put the aircraft on top of them.

Have you ever lost a drone to water, or had any issues happen over water that were sketchy?

Anything else I can do to mitigate any issues besides flying in low wind, checking for home point set and no magnetic interference before takeoff?
Fly home earlier than normal with extra battery reserve
Fly towards the wind first so it's at your back heading home

Welp today I finally worked up the courage to fly over water. There's a small inlet on a river that runs past my house with an island I've been wanting to video. Near the road there's always been a path that goes right down to the water that people launch canoes from and fish. So I get there and they put up new signs that say no trespassing, will be prosecuted, area under surveillance, etc. That building nextdoor with the parking is our town highway department, so "kind of" public property. My guess is that they got tired of trashy people leaving their garbage everywhere down by the water (it was always a problem). Typical; a few jerks ruin it for everyone.

So nevertheless, I didnt fly today. Oh well. ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200308-192320_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20200308-192320_Maps.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: SqFt
Like, could a sunken steel ship under the water be a thing? How close does the drone have to be to a large metallic object to experience interference?
Instead of wondering, try a little testing to find out.
Find a convenient steel roof, fly 20 feet above it and slowly descend toward it until you start to see the effect.
It won't crash your drone and you can easily escape by climbing out of the magnetic field.
You'll find that you have to get to around three feet or so to see the effect and just climbing a foot or so will make things normal again.

As for flying over water, it's probably safer than over land.
There are a lot less obstacles to worry about and very low interference.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have done a lot of flying over water, since I use my M2Z to videotape waterskiers. When over water, I attach a gadget called a "Getterback" attached to one of the rear arms of my drone. Performance is unaffected. But don't fly over deep water as this device is only good if your drone goes down in less than 100' of water.

Reactions: Thomas B
He had the mavip pro as a treasure.
A bad decision? for flying under a bridge and under the bridge a beautiful river.
The rest can be seen in the following link. Fly with caution.

Admittedly, I haven't flown my M2P over water yet. I've flown my cheaper drones over water before a few times without any issue. But flying a more expensive drone over water scares me.

At least if it crashes or flys away over land, I have a chance of recovering it. If it lands in a lake or river, I have almost no chance of recovering it.

I use my drone for commercial work. I can't really afford to be without it. As long as I don't lose it 2 or less days before a commercial shoot, I could always buy a replacement and have it overnighted, I guess. No drone rental places around here. I do eventually plan on getting a used m2p for a backup hull.

I guess my question here is, am I being overly paranoid? What are the chances my M2P would be lost in water as long as I check the home point before takeoff, fly safely, and not in strong wind?

I see most of the M2P crash and flyaway in the other sub forum do, unfortunately end up in the drink. Is there something about water that makes a drone want to misbehave?

I'm aware about the downward vision sensor thing and disabling it. From what I can gather, it only applies if you are flying about 7 ft or less over water. I would never do that anyway, I would always be at least 20-30 ft up.
If still uneasy, try something similar to these.

I am on a lake and do routinely fly over water. I have a simple device called "getter back" I purchased from Amazon that at least if something goes haywire over water, it deploys a float with some 100' of fishing line that will let you retrieve the bird. To me it is very reasonable at $39.00. Never needed it, and hope I don't, but it is small and it uses velcro to attach under one of the legs. I have noticed little or no difference in the flights, but it does help calm down some of the pucker factor over water.

Admittedly, I haven't flown my M2P over water yet. I've flown my cheaper drones over water before a few times without any issue. But flying a more expensive drone over water scares me.

At least if it crashes or flys away over land, I have a chance of recovering it. If it lands in a lake or river, I have almost no chance of recovering it.

I use my drone for commercial work. I can't really afford to be without it. As long as I don't lose it 2 or less days before a commercial shoot, I could always buy a replacement and have it overnighted, I guess. No drone rental places around here. I do eventually plan on getting a used m2p for a backup hull.

I guess my question here is, am I being overly paranoid? What are the chances my M2P would be lost in water as long as I check the home point before takeoff, fly safely, and not in strong wind?

I see most of the M2P crash and flyaway in the other sub forum do, unfortunately end up in the drink. Is there something about water that makes a drone want to misbehave?

I'm aware about the downward vision sensor thing and disabling it. From what I can gather, it only applies if you are flying about 7 ft or less over water. I would never do that anyway, I would always be at least 20-30 ft up.
Try Lensrentals.com. They rent Mavic 2 Pros. I just got a mailing they are offering a discount for 1st time customers of 10%.I have no connection to them.They are in Tennessee. Also, other national rental places available for drone. Rent Lens.com I think. Try to Google it.
Dale, Miami

I've flown my Mavic Pro Platinum a bunch of times from the bow of a few fiberglass boats, mainly mine. I've had the samsung tablet lose fpv image while launching from both land and water. But no loss of control issues.
I'm hoping that my change to using an ipad mini 4 will negate loss of image issues.

I keep line of sight. I use strobes even during day flights.

Good luck.

Really depends where your flying over water. If steel bridges, cell towers near by, magnetic interference. Hidden cell towers and other things effect your flight. And, if that is the case, its important to have a copilot with you to help alert you to take emergency procedures. And, line of sight of your drone at all times. Been flying over lakes, rivers, oceans, no problem. But, when flying near some of the things I mentioned. If you get a weak control signal, what is emergency procedure? Ans: Reduce distance to aircraft/Check antenna position. Problem not solved=Return to home. When flying over water, with possible Magnetic interference, and other issues. I limit flying over water when cell towers, or anything else is present that could cause me issues.
I have poontoons, on my MP, which will only save the body. Just keeps the drone from sinking to the bottom.

I sympathize completely. I had a list of drone "to-do's" but could never check off "fly over water." One morning I went down to the coast and flew back and forth along the water's edge. Then I ventured a little further over water, then a little further, then did the whole flight over water. Landing brought with it a joyous feeling.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
I've had my MP2 for about a month now. Never owned a drone or even flown one prior. I've logged some serious time since I've bought it and the majority of my flights are over the ocean. The only time I got freaked out was doing a hyper-lapse of an amazing sunset in some crazy wind. One of the propeller arms came into view and I brought it in. Other than that I fly super low all the time filming waves and whatnot. You guys probably think I'm an idiot for doing this but hell, I'm getting some amazing footage and i'm having fun. My point is if I can do it you can do it. Here is the Video of hyperlase. halway through before the video reverses you can see it come into view on the right hand side. You see it twice because the vid reverses

Last edited:
If steel bridges, cell towers near by, magnetic interference. Hidden cell towers and other things effect your flight.
You would have to be flying closer than 10 feet from them to see any effect at all.
Those things will not affect your flight at normal distances.

I've had my MP2 for about a month now. Never owned a drone or even flown one prior. I've logged some serious time since I've bought it and the majority of my flights are over the ocean. The only time I got freaked out was doing a hyper-lapse of an amazing sunset in some crazy wind. One of the propeller arms came into view and I brought it in. Other than that I fly super low all the time filming waves and whatnot. You guys probably think I'm an idiot for doing this but hell, I'm getting some amazing footage and i'm having fun. My point is if I can do it you can do it. I was trying to post the video of the hyperlapse but i dont think i can post a m4v file
Videos must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, etc. and make them public. Then select share and copy the link. Post that link here AS TEXT... you video wil appear with a previewed pic.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Tynez
I've had my MP2 for about a month now. Never owned a drone or even flown one prior. I've logged some serious time since I've bought it and the majority of my flights are over the ocean. The only time I got freaked out was doing a hyper-lapse of an amazing sunset in some crazy wind. One of the propeller arms came into view and I brought it in. Other than that I fly super low all the time filming waves and whatnot. You guys probably think I'm an idiot for doing this but hell, I'm getting some amazing footage and i'm having fun. My point is if I can do it you can do it. Here is the Video of hyperlase. halway through before the video reverses you can see it come into view on the right hand side. You see it twice because the vid reverses
Thanks Thomas B. Got it to work

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661