DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fears of flying over water

Admittedly, I haven't flown my M2P over water yet. I've flown my cheaper drones over water before a few times without any issue. But flying a more expensive drone over water scares me.

At least if it crashes or flys away over land, I have a chance of recovering it. If it lands in a lake or river, I have almost no chance of recovering it.

I use my drone for commercial work. I can't really afford to be without it. As long as I don't lose it 2 or less days before a commercial shoot, I could always buy a replacement and have it overnighted, I guess. No drone rental places around here. I do eventually plan on getting a used m2p for a backup hull.

I guess my question here is, am I being overly paranoid? What are the chances my M2P would be lost in water as long as I check the home point before takeoff, fly safely, and not in strong wind?

I see most of the M2P crash and flyaway in the other sub forum do, unfortunately end up in the drink. Is there something about water that makes a drone want to misbehave?

I'm aware about the downward vision sensor thing and disabling it. From what I can gather, it only applies if you are flying about 7 ft or less over water. I would never do that anyway, I would always be at least 20-30 ft up.
I will say this I am still learning alot about flying. I fly my mavic 2 pro over water (long Island Sound) all the time to get videos of container ships. I have 1 issue with signal loss with the camera. I was still able to use the return to home feature while I simple reset the dji go app. And poof the picture came back on to my crystalsky. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I will say this I am still learning alot about flying. I fly my mavic 2 pro over water (long Island Sound) all the time to get videos of container ships. I have 1 issue with signal loss with the camera. I was still able to use the return to home feature while I simple reset the dji go app. And poof the picture came back on to my crystalsky. I hope this helps.

I have never had a crash yet on the Smart Controller but that is a Fantastic way to use the RTH .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mavic in the Rain !

Admittedly, I haven't flown my M2P over water yet. I've flown my cheaper drones over water before a few times without any issue. But flying a more expensive drone over water scares me.

At least if it crashes or flys away over land, I have a chance of recovering it. If it lands in a lake or river, I have almost no chance of recovering it.

I use my drone for commercial work. I can't really afford to be without it. As long as I don't lose it 2 or less days before a commercial shoot, I could always buy a replacement and have it overnighted, I guess. No drone rental places around here. I do eventually plan on getting a used m2p for a backup hull.

I guess my question here is, am I being overly paranoid? What are the chances my M2P would be lost in water as long as I check the home point before takeoff, fly safely, and not in strong wind?

I see most of the M2P crash and flyaway in the other sub forum do, unfortunately end up in the drink. Is there something about water that makes a drone want to misbehave?

I'm aware about the downward vision sensor thing and disabling it. From what I can gather, it only applies if you are flying about 7 ft or less over water. I would never do that anyway, I would always be at least 20-30 ft up.
Buy a set of floats, I did. It gives you that added confidence.

Not willing to fly it over water? You're a wimp....and so am I haha. I just bought my 5th drone, and NONE of them have flown over water. It's purely mental, I know, but I'm mental haha.

Reactions: ff22
I live in Idaho a the deepest areas of the Snake River canyon, I trust my bird, and I trust myself. As we should all do with any launch, check & recheck. What else can you do. I fly my MP level with the ground, then right off the canyon rim right over the Snake to produce some of my best footage ever. No one want to lose an investment like we have in our drones, but as a professional, sometimes we need to take a chance. As a weekend flyer like me, I would feel like I’m cheating myself of the thrill it takes to get my inspiring shots. I guess when it comes down to it, we have to decide if it’s worth the risk. For me, I don’t look at it as reckless, but as the excitement and joy that I would want for anyone who does what we do. Peace.

I’d like to see some of your work sir.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet