DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Feedback please

This is an odd one for me but what was the drone's height? If below 400ft AGL then I would have been inclined to go higher, as you did around 3:50, but stay legal. However it maybe that the gimbal-tilted-down-traverses are making me feel you lost the opportunity to capture the full landscape or that you weren't sure what you wanted to capture.
Others will probably offer better critique.

Lots of fast movement left-right, up-down, with weird transitions of images not so sharp? What is the story here?

Moved to the correct spot
Good start video

Total beginner with drones. I have a mini 2 and fly it once in a while. Last week went to mount Hamilton. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks

One thing to keep in mind when you're filming anything with a drone; you are in fact using a camera to shoot the video, the drone is just another tool (like a tripod), albeit one that can move.

With that in mind, the basics of film and photography are precisely the same in the air, as on the ground. If you're new to video as well as drones, don't let the fact that your drone can do a lot of stuff that a tripod can't, cloud your decision as to how you shoot video.

You can find excellent video tutorials from many sources, and I find B&H to have some of the best tutorials for everyone from beginners to pros. Here is one on the basics that I would recommend to anyone learning to shoot and wanting to improve. If this is helpful you can find hundreds more like it on their channel.

One thing to keep in mind when you're filming anything with a drone; you are in fact using a camera to shoot the video, the drone is just another tool (like a tripod), albeit one that can move.

With that in mind, the basics of film and photography are precisely the same in the air, as on the ground. If you're new to video as well as drones, don't let the fact that your drone can do a lot of stuff that a tripod can't, cloud your decision as to how you shoot video.

You can find excellent video tutorials from many sources, and I find B&H to have some of the best tutorials for everyone from beginners to pros. Here is one on the basics that I would recommend to anyone learning to shoot and wanting to improve. If this is helpful you can find hundreds more like it on their channel.

Glad you posted this TyP thanks.

A good start. Better than my first videos. As mentioned already, study photography and practice, practice, practice getting your drone movements down. Finally, have a story in mind. What's the first scene I want the viewer to see to grab their attention and what's the last scene I want them to see.

I enjoyed your video and the only thing I can offer in addition is that videos which hold the attention of the viewer tend to be shorter than this one, and to move your camera or drone s l o w l y - a lesson I am still trying to learn.

Total beginner with drones. I have a mini 2 and fly it once in a while. Last week went to mount Hamilton:
. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks
As stated, it was a bit too long and very jerky with your panning shots. Also don't use the zoom transitions again, better to keep it to clean cuts or an odd slow dissolve maybe. Good first attempt though. You'll get better.

@mihir_ray07 - First, good start. Everyone estarts somewhere.
Next, as @CorralesDan said, practice is the key. Additionally, the Mini2 has settings for Cine, Normal and Sport mode. You can set each of those sections so the drone responds to stick input differently. You can adjust the rate of input to be slower in Cine mode to get cinematic looking footage. Obviously, quicker responses in Sport mode with normal mode somewhere in the middle. Look @ your manual to see what both sticks do and memorize those so when you're out capturing video you can use those inputs more naturally. Same with camera tilt. Remember if you push the thumb wheel left, what does the camera do vs pushing it right. Also, if you use the Function button AND the thumb wheel, you control zoom - remember which way zooms out or zooms in. Did we mention Practice, Practice and...ahem...more practice? If weather is bad, you can practice indoors - just remember to restrain your inputs so you don't break something in the house.
I'm also in NorCal, weather hasn't been the best so I plan on getting mine out soon and get myself tuned back up for flying when the weather improves.
So - keep flying, keep recording, keep editing - You're off to a great start.

Hey are we still allowed to fly at Mt Hamtilon? I’ve searched everywhere online and I get mixed results and then with permits etc. Thinking of going.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum