DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ferrybridge power station

I didn't`t know that. it seemed to be closed as there`s no steam ever going out.
if You live near that place I recommend to fly there. it looks really cool on big telly in hd
thanks

Good thing for you it's closed because power stations are one of the places where you'd risk most for flying a drone in...

Nice footage and definitely a nice thing to see.

EDIT: Some parts of it still seem to be operational according to Wikipedia.

Good thing for you it's closed because power stations are one of the places where you'd risk most for flying a drone in...

Nice footage and definitely a nice thing to see.

EDIT: Some parts of it still seem to be operational according to Wikipedia.
Some of it is converted to wood pellets, but the coal generation is closed or at least mothballed in case it were suddenly needed due to breakdown or incident elsewhere.

I visited this power station about 1979 as part of my apprenticeship.
It was very impressive, I didn't know it was closed down.
Great video btw

I need to ask.....did you entertain the thought, even for a split second, of going down INSIDE one of those towers??

Hi Guys
this place is near me it looks scary in full hd with goggles on
thanks
Being a hgv driver I am often parked up at our depot in the ferrybridge business park and it's right in line of sight. I have pondered on flying over to there but did not chance it.I was told that this was going to be demolished at some point if that's true it would be good to catch that on the mavic.
I need to ask.....did you entertain the thought, even for a split second, of going down INSIDE one of those towers??

Hi. I did think about it but I`m assuming that it would`ve lost the signal quickly.
I`ve read too many posts lately that mavic has landed in the same place where RTH triggered.
I`m not taking that risk mate
Many thanks

I figured as much. I wouldn't have risked it either. :)
That was the first time I've ever seen what the bottom of one of these cooling towers looked like. Somehow I was expecting a bunch of equipment down there. Maybe they'd already removed it though.
Take care

I figured as much. I wouldn't have risked it either. :)
That was the first time I've ever seen what the bottom of one of these cooling towers looked like. Somehow I was expecting a bunch of equipment down there. Maybe they'd already removed it though.
Take care

There wouldn't anything inside mate as those are cooling shafts for water turbines. It is just pure steam coming out of those so You wouldn't need any equipment or filters inside as it is not harmful You can see that water chanel inside. There is still water there. The water chanel seems to be a bit narrow for sucha big shaft but remember that steam is taking much more space than water so they couldn't make them chanels bigger. Thanks

I`ve been flying there few times, and I knew what they`re for but I didn't`t really know how it looks inside and I was surprised myself when I saw inside and how clean they are. Also. All water channel are connected so all of the8 shafts are working together as one big cooling system
Being a hgv driver I am often parked up at our depot in the ferrybridge business park and it's right in line of sight. I have pondered on flying over to there but did not chance it.I was told that this was going to be demolished at some point if that's true it would be good to catch that on the mavic.
I bet it would be cool but I don`t think we`re going to see that. It is not active because the national grid don`t need that much power at the moment. It is a reserve just in the case if needed. sometimes they`re starting it up a little bit as I think that the turbines must be run every some time to keep them in working condition. they run it on very low power because you can only see very little thin clouds every minute or so. when I spotted it first time from my place I had to look on them for a while to make sure those are not clouds in the sky behind them. I saw it maybe 3 times past year but obviously I`m not watching them Every day

That would be an AWESOMELY cool video seeing the towers implode. Based on some other explosive demolitions I have seen, they usually blow them all one after the other.
There would be a tremendous cloud of dust as the towers collapse so be UPWIND if you can film it

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoosiergsp