DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fess up- Have you broken the VLOS rule? (poll)

Have you broken the VLOS rule (more than once)?

• Yes. I've gone beyond VLOS a very few times.

Votes: 92 31.9%
  • Yes. I often fly beyond VLOS, but pay attention to the other rules.

Votes: 129 44.8%
  • No. I never fly/have flown beyond where I can maintain visual contact with my drone.

Votes: 67 23.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the rules needs a bit of updating. What’s the point of a high end camera, and you just fly by looking at your drone all the time? You can fly to where you want to go, even within VLOS, but you’ll need to look at the feed to take photos or videos. And when your are framing your shot and trying to get a better angle, you might lose sight of it anyway.
When you have reliable camera feed, solid telemetry and not go beyond a reasonable height, you have a good idea where your drone is and can safely navigate your drone.
Before all this technology, when you lose sight of drone, you won’t know where it is and where it’s going which is pretty dangerous, cos you won’t know where it’ll land or crash.

There are many places in the world where flying bvlos is safe. Mainland U.S. is not the only place to fly drones.

I was threatened with expulsion from one Mavic Mini Facebook group for even daring to ask a question regarding the legality (technicality) of a video posted online. "No drone policing allowed". Amazing to see this poll here.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Facebook is full of people with 2-bit mentality. Either you are right or wrong. If one side thinks you are wrong they’ll want to shut you down for having a different opinion/view. And people also get upset when they are told they are wrong, and they want their accusers to be shutdown. Facebook then has to cater to the loudest voice, as if it reflects how much ‘hurt’ or ‘offended’ they feel.

Not intentionally... I’m new to drones and there is a built in apprehension to sending it out BVLOS! Having said that I’ve found adding strobes helps in extending the “visual range”. Currently running ARC IIs, one on the front and one on the back. Perfect? Hell no but certainly better than without strobes. With the improved mapping feature in 1.2.2 and as confidence grows I will probably feel more comfortable sending her out further but It certainly isn’t going to be measured in “miles of separation”!
Improved mapping feature? It's the same map as was available as far back as P3.

When you have reliable camera feed, solid telemetry and not go beyond a reasonable height, you have a good idea where your drone is and can safely navigate your drone.
If there were no other traffic, that would be reasonable. But VFR flight in uncontrolled airspace relies entirely on "see and avoid" strategy to prevent collisions. A human-carrying airplane can't see your drone very well, and if you're looking at your screen, you can't see what's approaching you unless they're coming from the area your camera sees. Ears can certainly help a bit, but eyes are also helpful.

Small planes aren't the only hazard. On more than one occasion, I've seen another drone flying not so far from my drone. Two drones can collide without ever showing up in each other's cameras, if one is hovering and the other going backwards or sideways.

The technology is amazing having a fpv. But after a year of flying I still cannot bring myself to fly bvlos. Because of my RC past it's deeply ingrained that I must be able to see the aircraft. It's involuntary much like breathing. I was always amazed at how far away I could fly a sailplane and it was all reflexes and automatic for me. Not so with the Drones. I'm very happy to fly VLOS for what I'm doing. Oh yeah, the investment $$$ keeps me tethered to my drone as well not to mention the safety of others.
As others have mentioned there's always the danger of other flyers (be it drones, birds, or aircraft) and having it at reasonable distance allows you to react to the danger.

Last edited:
What is the point of the question? Anyway, VLOS is not just about seeing your drone but seeing the terrain your drone is in. Amazingly some people think it's some sort of achievement to go beyond the bounds and some even exaggerate them.

Reactions: Leckhart
Early in my experience, I misinterpreted the VLOS rule and thought it was ok to use binoculars to be in compliance. I couldn't see it with the naked eye but I could easily find it with my binoculars. When I learned the real rule I never did it again. Innocent mistake.

What a ridiculous question - What is the point of it? When was the last time you broke the law? We are a community that is here demonstrate compliance and adherence - Not to give the ney sayers more reason to close down our hobby!

I believe what is remarkable and exciting about these drones is that they “can” fly so far bvlos.
To stay within vlos is surely from old rules of flying r/c aircraft around a circuit or a field. If you lose sight your in the crap!
With onboard cameras you do know where you are and I’m not referring to losing it unintentionally the other side of buildings or hillside.
I see lots of vids of flyers testing long distance or flying over the beach up and down the coast, fabulous.
However, to sit at home in the garden in a town and just
fly indiscriminately over houses and gardens out of vlos is wholly irresponsible.
So, it’s not the bvlos that’s the issue imho, it’s the manner and intention.

You've proven that this is not silly. If you unintentionally lost sight of your drone you were BVLOS. It happens. I too have unintentionally lost sight of my drone and was aware each time that I needed to to bring it back. I always fly with strobes to be able to mainting visual position. If you read the text that describes the poll it does not ask for a stated confession, but essentially asks "hey- have your ever done it...or done it a lot?".

Also, in actuality (not legally) is the violation the same if you're flying over the desert with nothing or no one around for miles as opposed to flying farther than you can see where there are people or cars (even though not flying directly over them)?
This is a good pole because it shows the true facts And nobody has to put their name on it

This is silly, you are asking people to admit to breaking the law. You should have asked: If you have never flown beyond VLOS please so indicate.

I have never flown byond VLOS. However, I have unintentionally lost sight of my drone. On an earlier Phantom 1 (no camera) RTH was the only thing that saved it a couple of times.
This is in line with what I was going to reply. I haven't gone beyond, but I have accidentally lost sight of it behind an outcrop for a few seconds. I still consider that out of VLOS and have not done it since.

This is silly, you are asking people to admit to breaking the law. You should have asked: If you have never flown beyond VLOS please so indicate.

I have never flown byond VLOS. However, I have unintentionally lost sight of my drone. On an earlier Phantom 1 (no camera) RTH was the only thing that saved it a couple of times.
?

I've taken a firearm class on numerous occasions where the operators make you sign a statement that you have never broken the law. I've written to them that this is the dumbest question ever asked... because everyone has broken the law at one time or another.... same with the keeping a drone visible at all times.... at least if you don't have a crew. How do you use the controller unless you take your eyes off the drone and look at it? How many folks can actually see a Mavic Mini that is just 400ft above ground?

Reactions: ghjcmo
When I first got my drone I didn't know anything about the FAA rules, etc...so yes...I have gone BVLOS a few times, also probably violated Airspace rules as well back then. Why I think there should be a requirement to take a course BEFORE you can actually purchase one. :). Just like a one hour overview of basics. Or at least some sort of warning/documentation in the package pointing you to the right info.

I hardly ever watch the drone, apart from at takeoff and just before landing. My attention is glued to the screen because of filming, composition, etc, which is the only reason we fly. That said, my wife/colleague barely takes her eyes of the drone. She's a brilliant spotter - actually, she's brilliant at almost everything - and totally professional. You're so much better when you can share duties with someone who you can totally trust - and I would always recommend a spotter (standing next to you) if it's an option.

On our own huge nature reserve, overseas, in the middle of nowhere,, we have gone beyond VLOS once because we needed to get "above the clouds" footage. The risk of any low-ish flying helicopter or airplane was virtually zero, based on years of experience in this remote location within a country that's very different from the USA or UK in terms of aircraft numbers. And we first used the superb P4P+ screen to both carefully look around 360 degrees in all directions, to check, as "our eyes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat