DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fighting fires with drones

With a 30 min battery flight time, I could see where they can use that to start knocking down a fire while the human firefighters gear up and get into place to fight the fire. I could see they could use it to shoot at a fire in a room where someone is trapped in the building to keep the fire off them. Maybe it could used to rescue someone from a building if it is in the right place.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
With a 30 min battery flight time, I could see where they can use that to start knocking down a fire while the human firefighters gear up and get into place to fight the fire. I could see they could use it to shoot at a fire in a room where someone is trapped in the building to keep the fire off them. Maybe it could used to rescue someone from a building if it is in the right place.
And connecting it to an external power source for unlimited flight time should be fairly trivial, since it has to carry the hose anyway.

I'm curious how hard it is to control, given the recoil effect from the water. In the video it looks somewhat unstable - seems like onboard software should be able to compensate for that. But I guess it's still a prototype, so more work to do.

Pretty cool though.

Reactions: Prop Wash
I'm curious how hard it is to control, given the recoil effect from the water. In the video it looks somewhat unstable - seems like onboard software should be able to compensate for that. But I guess it's still a prototype, so more work to do.
Watching the video showed me that the stability seemed quite good. There did not appear to be any positioning error ad the water first starting being used. The one part where the drone appeared a bit unstable looked like is was just following input commands from the pilot. Watch the action on your aircraft if you make large scale positioning moves while in a hover. I think the pilot needed to make more gradual stick movements.

I really like this being used for ice rescue. There is nothing worse than trying to make a rescue on thin or unstable ice. You are risking your own when you do. Yes that water is debilitatingly cold and if you go through with winter garb on it is very difficult to tread water for very long. I would love to see more heavy lift drones used for rescue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilldale Harry