DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming a cementery

Perhaps it would be wise to look at the FAA website to see what the FAA considers commercial use where you should comply with Part 107:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_sta...ons_terms_Special_Rule_for_Model_Aircraft.pdf

“Commercial use:
Flying your drone with the intent of generating monetary profit for your business, or to promote your services as a professional drone operator.
This includes sharing promotional drone footage or photos via digital channels for free.”

That could be where the hangup is. I am not in the business and don't intend to generate income. I am not promoting my services. I don't know whether the cemetery association actually even sells plots in the cemetery. I think it relies on donations from church members to fund it.
I looked up the definition of "promotional". " Relating to the publicizing of a product, organization, or venture so as to increase sales or public awareness."
I don't think they are trying to increase sales, since it is a private cemetery. (I think) Maybe the public awareness part would though. Thanks

We have been asked by a cemetery association to do an aerial video of a local cementery. Hobbyist flight only free gratis. Are there any considerations as far as legal, moral, or FAA regulations (other than normal FAA flight rules) that I should address?
This will be our first attempt at doing something technical as far as proper altitude, camera direction, and substance, so we want it to look as pro as we can.
Has anyone filmed a cemetery before? Any recommendations?
This will be used on the churches' website. Thanks in advance.
Since you specifically asked about regulations, if the flight is not exclusively for hobby/recreation (your own personal enjoyment), then the FAA classifies it as being outside of the "protections" of Part 101 and it would fall under Part 107.

It doesn't matter whether or not you are getting paid. What matters is your intent when you made the flight.

Are you likely to get "prosecuted"? Probably not.

I've flown at several National cemeteries. They are peaceful places and if you choose the right time no one is there. One of the things I like to do is to focus on a particular grave site and then fly up to show the overall view of the property. I reverse this in post and it can be quite dramatic. Families of the veterans love them.

I emailed the FAA yesterday and received this reply today:

Sir:

Hi. Legally, you need a Part 107 Remote pilots license. Section 336 says "for fun or recreation." Taking a picture of a cemetery for a church website is not fur or recreational.

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

The above was copy and pasted in its entirety from the email I received. So I won't fly it for the church association.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob@max