DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming a cementery

Sprocket

Reactions
We have been asked by a cemetery association to do an aerial video of a local cementery. Hobbyist flight only free gratis. Are there any considerations as far as legal, moral, or FAA regulations (other than normal FAA flight rules) that I should address?
This will be our first attempt at doing something technical as far as proper altitude, camera direction, and substance, so we want it to look as pro as we can.
Has anyone filmed a cemetery before? Any recommendations?
This will be used on the churches' website. Thanks in advance.

I fly at several a lot as they are peaceful and no one seems to mind .
This one is close and my grandson who goes with me come here a lot .
Was messing with hanger here to see how low I could do one .
Hangar 360 photos from around the world. was 23'
Now the only thing I would think might be an issue if you were to pick up the names on the stones . Might bother some might not . Lighting is kinda hard as it will be shiny on some stones at different times of the day and I also have found the slower you go the better it looks . You will have to just experiment with early
and late videoing to see what effect you or them prefer .
Me..I'm just trying to learn who all my neighbors will be one day .:)
Good luck .

Watch out for ghosts. Oh , ehem , uh well you could fly right through them so no worries.

Check your NFZ's and make sure that the cemetery is not within one.

Also since people will be viewing the video from the churches website once published that "technically" is considered advertising and even though no payment has been made to you it would "technically" be considered a commercial flight. Will you be prosecuted is the question.

Here is a good article that outlines what the FAA is currently doing to enforce non commercial pilots filming and uploading videos on the internet. Its a muddy area it appears.

The FAA Is Completely Confused About What Constitutes Commercial Drone Use

We have been asked by a cemetery association to do an aerial video of a local cementery. Hobbyist flight only free gratis. Are there any considerations as far as legal, moral, or FAA regulations (other than normal FAA flight rules) that I should address?
This will be our first attempt at doing something technical as far as proper altitude, camera direction, and substance, so we want it to look as pro as we can.
Has anyone filmed a cemetery before? Any recommendations?
This will be used on the churches' website. Thanks in advance.

Since this is technically for advancement of their business, you need to have a Part 107 Cert. I guess that’s the legal consideration.

I fly at several a lot as they are peaceful and no one seems to mind .
This one is close and my grandson who goes with me come here a lot .
Was messing with hanger here to see how low I could do one .
Hangar 360 photos from around the world. was 23'
Now the only thing I would think might be an issue if you were to pick up the names on the stones . Might bother some might not . Lighting is kinda hard as it will be shiny on some stones at different times of the day and I also have found the slower you go the better it looks . You will have to just experiment with early
and late videoing to see what effect you or them prefer .
Me..I'm just trying to learn who all my neighbors will be one day .:)

Hangar360 actually did a pretty good job from such a low AGL. I have read posts that being lower than the Hangar360 default AGL makes the 360 panos look weird, but in your case it does not look weird at all. Well done!
Good luck .

Reactions: dirkclod
Are church's not non-profit or would that matter.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Since this is technically for advancement of their business, you need to have a Part 107 Cert. I guess that’s the legal consideration.

So far the FAA has yet to prosecute non commercial drone pilots for monetizing thier footage. Just take a look at all the drone videos on Youtube that have advertisement popups spliced into the footage. That allows those drone videos to be "monetized" as the youtube channel owner can and will receive financial compensation based on views. That money that is changing hands based on viewed drone videos.

Are church's not non-profit or would that matter.
Most are , but cemeteries are "for profit" :)

"Most nonprofit tax-exempt organizations are required to file annual tax returns with the IRS. Even though most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations do not pay federaltaxes (that is what “tax-exempt” means), most do have to file an informational return with the IRS. This annual reporting return is called a Form 990.Apr 4, 2017"

Source - https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...e.0.0j69i57.6191j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Is some FAA representative going to wander out of one of the bushes nearby when your flying and filming with a citation book in hand and a grin. If so then you would be the unluckiest person in the history of the world. Although your chances of that happening may go up by .00001 percent by posting the location and date of filming. :)

All good replies so far. Thanks.
I wonder if it makes a difference that the cemetery is detached from the property the church sits on. Kinda like your car is considered part of your home in certain cases.
I would think that the cemetery is part of the "not for profit" status that the church enjoys. Only church members are buried at the cemetery. If that makes any difference.
It seems nothing is cut and dried.
Thanks

Don't attach your name to the credits and make sure there are no burials scheduled when you fly.

Don't attach your name to the credits and make sure there are no burials scheduled when you fly.
Good advice. Thanks

edit: I had an n left over from somewhere else in case anyone wonders why I misspelled cemetery in the title of this thread.:confused: Actually, the truth is, I had one of my daily stupid fits.

Perhaps it would be wise to look at the FAA website to see what the FAA considers commercial use where you should comply with Part 107:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_sta...ons_terms_Special_Rule_for_Model_Aircraft.pdf

“Commercial use:
Flying your drone with the intent of generating monetary profit for your business, or to promote your services as a professional drone operator.
This includes sharing promotional drone footage or photos via digital channels for free.”

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LBRO