DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming a swim event (Mavic 3 Pro)

RonanCork

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I'll be shooting aerial footage of a local short swim (mostly jumping off a low pier and swimming about that area, rather than a long distance swim) on new years eve.

I'll stay 30m away from the folks, fly in slow cine mode and won't fly directly over people. Also all participants have been notified there will be a drone. That is sufficient in Ireland re the rules to do this legally.

I've not shot swim events before, I mostly do stationery stuff (houses, hotels, construction etc). The x3 zoom lens will be my friend here I think also.
Any tips or pointers of any if you've done this.

Thinking nd filter, lock ISO to 100. Shoot in 4k60fps or 4k120fps. But I'd be interested to see if you guys have any additional suggestions

Thanks Ro

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Harvey
At 50M Altidue using the 3x might work. I'm not sure just how well the swimmers will be seen at that height and angle. If possible, I would try flying backwards showing the swimmers coming toward me. Whatever you do, maintain situational awareness and fly safely.

Reactions: RonanCork
It really helps to have a visual observer assisting you, so you can concentrate on framing the shots you want to get. It's tempting to fly away backwards or fly sideways, and then blindly fly into a tree. Also it's tricky trying to accurately judge exactly how high you are above the water's surface when looking only at the camera view. It's useful to have someone keep an eye out for obstacles, or to ensure you don't descend too low.

I did this swimming video a few years ago for my neighbour. He's a long distance swimmer and keeps in shape by swimming laps around our lake every couple of days. This was late in October with the water already quite cold, probably his last swim of the season, so he asked me to get some footage with my drone.

It would really have helped to have a coordinated plan beforehand of what type of shots to get. I just followed him around and tried different things. I wanted to get one shot with the drone not moving hovering in one spot and him then swimming through the shot. But it was impossible! I'd move the drone ahead of him, and park it with the camera aimed straight down, just waiting for him to appear. But he'd change course and I'd miss him entirely.

Twenty minutes later I landed to change batteries and discovered I'd once again completely forgotten to press the video record button! D'oh!!

He already had blue lips and prune fingers from the cold water, but gamely jumped right back in to swim yet another complete lap around the lake!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne