DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 pro - shooting a soccer match (parts of) with my drone

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey Guys,

I've the Mavic 3 Pro with nd 8, 16, 32 filters.

I'm planning on shooting some drone footage of my local amateur soccer team playing a match. I've the permission of the players and club so that's all good.

I've been mainly used to shooting houses, hotels, construction, landscape, non moving stuff.

My main question is what settings folks use for shutter to get sharp photos. For video I'll have my shutter to be double my frame rate (per the rule) and my histogram will be my friend here to check my real life exposure i guess.

I'll do the usual poi orbital shots, top down shots, maybe a hyper lapse etc
Any advice would be great if you've done this before. I'm sure it'll all be fine but thought I'd ask

The Mavic 3 Pro has the x3 zoom and the x7 zoom lenses which could help me out so I don't have to get too near also

Thanks Ro

Do you mean shutter speed for stills?

If you're looking to freeze the action, the faster the better. I got decent results at a football match with 1/1000 and a telephoto.

Reactions: RonanCork
I would assume you will be reasonably high over the kids so that shutter speed and fps won't really mean much. I'd be hoping for a shutter speed of 500 or so and disregard the fps or I would shoot for 120fps and a shutter or 250 but I think 500 or 1000 would be preferable. You realize it will still be illegal to fly over the kids, right? The coach and/or kids giving your OK won't really make any difference, I don't think. I could be wrong if it is a closed event and nobody that is not on notice can barge in but if it's a public soccer field that anyone could enter flying over it would be questionable. Regardless (I'm not the drone police) we look forward to the footage.

Reactions: twickers14
You might be surprised with just exporting Frames from the 4K footage, I know its gets me some Incredible Storm Pictures.

Export Frame 4K
lighitng  100 copy.jpeg

Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain.
Phantomrain.org

I'd be wary of over flying the crowd, that is if there is any.
Thanks. Meant to say i won't be flying over people but will be keeping a distance and positioned over trees and water on one side of the pitch so there won't be anyone under me at any point. Cheers

I would assume you will be reasonably high over the kids so that shutter speed and fps won't really mean much. I'd be hoping for a shutter speed of 500 or so and disregard the fps or I would shoot for 120fps and a shutter or 250 but I think 500 or 1000 would be preferable. You realize it will still be illegal to fly over the kids, right? The coach and/or kids giving your OK won't really make any difference, I don't think. I could be wrong if it is a closed event and nobody that is not on notice can barge in but if it's a public soccer field that anyone could enter flying over it would be questionable. Regardless (I'm not the drone police) we look forward to the footage.
Thanks for the info. Interesting points. I won't be flying over the people/kids at any point but will be to the side over some trees where there will be no people under me. I've since writing this post reached out to a guy I know in a local Drone Training company to describe what I'm looking to do to see if it's legal. If there's any hassle at all I won't do it. I want to do it right, legally or not do it at all. thanks!

Pay close attention to your FPS / Shutter Speed ratio. Shutter speed should be 2x the FPS always. Otherwise you will get all sorts of judder (not correctable in post). Calculate ahead of time your panning angle, focal length your using and FPS. That will tell you how many seconds you should take to pan the panning angle. Knowing this will also minimize any judder potential.

Reactions: RonanCork
My main question is what settings folks use for shutter to get sharp photos.
The faster the shutter speed, the better in this case. DO NOT use ND filters, that will increase motion blur. Set your ISO to about 400 and the Aperture around 2.7, then adjust the shutter speed to balance out the exposure.
You want at least 1/500 shutter speed for photos, and 1/200 for videos at 60FPS.

Hey Guys,

I have the Mavic 3 Pro with 8, 16, 32 filters.

I'm planning on shooting some drone footage of my local amateur soccer team playing a match. I've the permission of the players and club so that's all good.

I've been mainly used to shooting houses, hotels, construction, landscape, non moving stuff.

My main question is what settings folks use for shutter to get sharp photos. For video I'll have my shutter to be double my frame rate (per the rule) and my histogram will be my friend here to check my real life exposure i guess.

I'll do the usual poi orbital shots, top down shots, maybe a hyper lapse etc
Any advice would be great if you've done this before. I'm sure it'll all be fine but thought I'd ask

The Mavic 3 Pro has the x3 zoom and the x7 zoom lenses which could help me out so I don't have to get too near also

Thanks Ro
If you are not a commercial pilot, don't do it.
You need your FAA 107 & knowledge that comes with it. Not just the recreational pilot cert.
Take video on the corners, behind the keeper box. Track alongside the sidelines. Do a neider shot/pic before they start the game and then videotape from the top for minutes or so. Do a flyover from side to side and corners. Moving from point A to point B over people is allowed. But videotaping over people you need an exception from the FAA. If there is a stadium seating and there is a track, fly over the track, if not, you can fly over the stands were there is no people. Give the video shots of plays defensive and attacking. Zoom in to a player or an area, used your grids on your controller. Keep the subject in the middle. Move the exposure up and down to get if is a sunny day.
If you are using a smart controller a RC Pro controller or the newer RN3300 grey controller there are settings you need to change just like a Nikon/Sony camera .
Go to the park stadium a day before or get there early, survey your area. Get a LAANC Authorization. If this match is in a local park be aware that some Parks authorities don't let drone be flown there. The park ranger will show up. You might need a permit from the parks and recreation department.

B mindfully of your battery level, 20-25% come back and reload. You can't take a chance for the drone to land on the Ffield or stands because you Rand out of juice.
Buy insurance for a day, at least 1M, you just never know when Murphy's law will show up.
Set the returned to home, make that RH closer and Mark it with cones, put your landing pad. weare a best and hard hat. Show people you are the Drone pilot so they don't bother you.
B safety first second and third, do not take any chances.

Reactions: G Saunders
If you are not a commercial pilot, don't do it.
You need your FAA 107 & knowledge that comes with it. Not just the recreational pilot cert.
Take video on the corners, behind the keeper box. Track alongside the sidelines. Do a neider shot/pic before they start the game and then videotape from the top for minutes or so. Do a flyover from side to side and corners. Moving from point A to point B over people is allowed. But videotaping over people you need an exception from the FAA. If there is a stadium seating and there is a track, fly over the track, if not, you can fly over the stands were there is no people. Give the video shots of plays defensive and attacking. Zoom in to a player or an area, used your grids on your controller. Keep the subject in the middle. Move the exposure up and down to get if is a sunny day.
If you are using a smart controller a RC Pro controller or the newer RN3300 grey controller there are settings you need to change just like a Nikon/Sony camera .
Go to the park stadium a day before or get there early, survey your area. Get a LAANC Authorization. If this match is in a local park be aware that some Parks authorities don't let drone be flown there. The park ranger will show up. You might need a permit from the parks and recreation department.

B mindfully of your battery level, 20-25% come back and reload. You can't take a chance for the drone to land on the Ffield or stands because you Rand out of juice.
Buy insurance for a day, at least 1M, you just never know when Murphy's law will show up.
Set the returned to home, make that RH closer and Mark it with cones, put your landing pad. weare a best and hard hat. Show people you are the Drone pilot so they don't bother you.
B safety first second and third, do not take any chances.
Don't want to sound like your Morher or an FAA agent, but be careful. I do not want to c you in the news or on the pilot institute news. Don't b that guy.
Also put an ND 8 filter if is a sunny day.

I don’t think the FAA have a mandate in Ireland 😀

Surely you are allowed to fly over people that have given their permission. They are “involved people”

Reactions: Torque
As I have a website for youth soccer trainings, I did some drone shoots with my Mini 2 of a training also.
I choose a nice place to hover and well away from the kids, and flew backwards to bring the bird home again, in order to avoid any chance of something going wrong.
I must say, both the kids and their parents loved the shots very much, since it gave them a complete new perspective of what was happening on the soccer field.

Here are 2 examples of photo:

DJI_0104.JPG

DJI_0107.JPG

As we cannot upload video here, I uploaded 2 short clips of them in the cloud. For the sake of file size the originals are I processed them to make them smaller, so the originals are larger and sharper, but it may give you an idea.

You can download them at
13.42 MB file on MEGA
(13,4 MB, 5 sec)
and
113.54 MB file on MEGA
(113 MB, 47 sec)

I hope I have been of any help in this topic :)

Last edited:
Not really, but I choose the flying path or the place where to hover very carefully so that no risk has to be taken.
The most challenging thing is to try the kids not be too much distracted by the drone because they find it fascinating, of course. And you don't want to have them look into the camera all the time or be waving to the drone and forgetting their play ;)

I would assume you will be reasonably high over the kids so that shutter speed and fps won't really mean much. I'd be hoping for a shutter speed of 500 or so and disregard the fps or I would shoot for 120fps and a shutter or 250 but I think 500 or 1000 would be preferable. You realize it will still be illegal to fly over the kids, right?

Is it? I'd guess it would be, but I'm not familiar with the detailed regs in Ireland.

This is the perfect situation for use of M3 waypoint functionality. You could get some very nice, cinematic footage with some low-angle shots.

Go to the field while it's unoccupied and plan out a mission. The beauty of waypoints is you can play it over and over and tweak it and refine it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne