DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming power station demolition

Cool capture! ... would recommend clipping a lot from the ore last when you do the soundtrack sync. Looking forward to it.

Whoa, nicely done.
I think at that distance it gave you a good overview, but maybe you needed to use zoom a little?
No one told the cows about the exclusion zone [emoji51]

I have a Pro not a Zoom, so it wasn't possible. Also given where I was standing, it wouldn't really have been possible to get any closer and maintain line of sight. There were a couple of other drones in the sky too, and by eye I kept losing track of which one was mine!

I have a Pro not a Zoom, so it wasn't possible. Also given where I was standing, it wouldn't really have been possible to get any closer and maintain line of sight. There were a couple of other drones in the sky too, and by eye I kept losing track of which one was mine!
are you referring to a mavic 2 pro does it not have an optical x2 zoom like the MPP

No, no zoom at all on the Mavic 2 Pro. However, apart from that the camera is superior to the Mavic 2 Zoom.
i use the zoom feature quite a lot on my MPP i know it is not a true zoom but its great if you want to get closer to something than you actually are,the other day it was very calm and a wind turbine where is was filming was on stop i was able to get within 6 ft of the hub and then zoom in and i could make out all of the little marks and dings on the hub and the blades

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. As a newbie, I’m curious about how you managed timing against battery life. How far in advance of the scheduled time did you launch?

Reactions: Andrex
i use the zoom feature quite a lot on my MPP i know it is not a true zoom but its great if you want to get closer to something than you actually are,the other day it was very calm and a wind turbine where is was filming was on stop i was able to get within 6 ft of the hub and then zoom in and i could make out all of the little marks and dings on the hub and the blades

Did the marks and dings have little beaks and/or feathers stuck to them?? ? ? ?

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. As a newbie, I’m curious about how you managed timing against battery life. How far in advance of the scheduled time did you launch?

Having arrived around an hour before the scheduled demolition, I used my first battery to get a feel for the conditions and test out the camera settings. I then had to land due to a short rain shower and took the opportunity to put in a fresh battery.

Prior to demolition a ten minute, then five minute, siren sounded. After the five minute siren I took off. A rocket was then fired one minute prior to the detonation, which is visible in the video, although I was already recording.

Demolition was near bang-on 11:00. I guess they have to be punctual with these things, as with road closures etc. and it being communicated to so many stakeholders, delays would increase the inconvenience.

Here's the final audio-synchronised video. It's weird having sounds like dogs barking and people talking in the video, but there were 1000s of people viewing the demolition and it was difficult to find a secluded spot which wasn't fenced off (plus I didn't look that hard). I guess I could find a video with audio that is 'clean' on YouTube and pinch it for my video, but it's not that important...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom