DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming tips for beginners

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Here's a video for absolute newbies. I know a lot of people on here have the mavic for photography but these simple tips are to help those more video-inclined. The idea is that if you can "name" a shot you will be thinking more about your camera moves. Downloadable in 4K.

Well, I'm the opposite, Cinematographer by trade but only recently into stills by chance as I had to buy a DSLR to get into 4K initially. So I think you can get off the knee... as we're even!

Reactions: Imtnbike
Even though I'm not new to the Mavic, your video tips are still inspiring, as is the dramatic proof in your video. Thanks for posting and opening up my mind to greater cinematic and creative possibilities.

Reactions: christangey
Here's a video for absolute newbies. I know a lot of people on here have the mavic for photography but these simple tips are to help those more video-inclined. The idea is that if you can "name" a shot you will be thinking more about your camera moves. Downloadable in 4K.

Hey Chris I know this is an old thread but how do you pan and tilt so smoothly?

I have trouble getting the Mavic to pan that slowly or smoothly no matter what I do. I have even modified the firmware to limit the maximum speed it will pan down to 10degrees per second, increased the length of my control sticks, and flattened the expo curve. It just seems like it takes a certain amount of momentum to get it to start moving and then that's too fast.

Could you share what your gimbal tilt speed and smoothing settings are please?

Brett, I guess there are 2 things but neither of them magic.

1. Up until very recently I've been shooting with gimbal settings "straight out of the box". I'm guessing the ability to be really smooth comes from 25 years as a Camera Operator. Sport is particuarly helpful practise where moving the weight of your foot from one to another, or even a breath at the wrong time, on a long lens will shake the camera. The rule of thumb is twice as close, twice the shake... and on 40X zoom that is a real challenge! Additionally we operate the zoom rocker on those lenses which has to be exceptionally well controlled in a very subtle way.

2. For immediate help though, the best I can do is get you to try changing pitch speed to 10 and smoothness to about 25, but the other REALLY key thing is DON'T put your thumbs on top of the joysticks, in fact they should be right at the bottom, you don't push them , you subtly lean on them, if you practise that you will do much better! Also slower is better.

You're very kind Ken, but a lot of it is the KISS principle, fancy moves often don't make better video. In my business, for instance, lots of people go on about what their editing software can do, but 99% of it is just cuts and dissolves, in fact most movies are just cuts!
If I had a choice of only one drone move it would be the simple "moving forward" I guess as humans that's how we naturally relate to flight, either in an aircraft or pretending we're an eagle!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
susnzhe