DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter Weights - Mavic 2 Pro

RedBird2020

Reactions
Have you wondered if you were to purchase some of the filters on the market, how do they compare in weight to the original lens cover that came on your drone? Read stories of "This xxx filter is to heavy", "xxx filter's weight too much for the gimbal to handle", "with power off and filter on, camera rotated down and looked at the ground because the filter weighed too much".

Got me to wondering too before purchasing some filter to experiment with.

Reality is, few if any hobbyist have the instrument(s) to measure the change in gimbal load (how hard the gimbal motor must work to keep the camera in position) nor has access to information to say when enough weight is enough. Seems if the filter did not make the camera (when system is power off) tilt down under the weight of the filter, probably will work. That's my assumption.

I have a set of Polar Pro ND and Polar Pro ND/Polarized filters, and a set of PGYTECH filters.

I used a set of balance scales that will measure to 0.1 grains in weight. For reference, 1 pound (weight) is equal to 7,000 grains. Being able to measure to 0.1 grains allows a measurement of 70,000 units to 1 pound.

That being said, I still don't know when a filter weight too much. But seeing the relative weight of the filters to the original manufacture's clear cover weight gives some level of "use it" or not. Couple that with how the camera reacts to the dead weight of the filter and/or if the camera gimbal will not calibrate on startup is probably a better indicator.

Below are the weight of the Mavic 2 Pro original camera cover and the filters from two manufactures. Understand this is what mine weighed, your mileage may vary. One would expect the precision the manufactures put (or not) into the production of these filters, weight variance from filter set to filter set is one of the parameters the control. Also, understand that seldom will two of the same items weight exactly the same.

I have flown all the below listed filters and I can't tell any gimbal performance differences between the Hasselblad original lens and these filters. The camera gimbal seems to perform just fine with any one filter I have.

Here goes...

Filter Weights.PNG

Reactions: Hauptmann
I've Got Freewell All Day Filter Kit(the 8 pack) to add to your list, these are my favorite of them all, I haven't had any gimbal issues with these either:

Reactions: Hauptmann
I went ahead and did the FSTOP Labs 6 Pack for you too, this is my 2nd favorite set of them all, especially for the price.

Interesting but....

I have the fstop labs and they seem fine no issues I think all the companies check that out and tried to cut weight as much as possible like someone said before if there's not a gimbal warning during initiation I would assume that they are fine since we're talking about ND filters do the polarizing ones really make a difference should I get those also the said I have is 8 16 + 32 I figured the four wasn't worth it since I haven't even use the eight yet

That being said, I still don't know when a filter weight too much.

Pardon my ignorance, but it doesn't seem like it's the filter's weight that's concerning you; rather it's the inertial drag of a heavier filter on the camera's movement. If that's the case then isn't it simplier to measure the time it takes for the camera to pan L2R, Up2Dn & etc and compare those measured times between filters? OTOH, if filter weight was really a big deal, seems like it would have emerged as an issue long before now.

Pardon my ignorance, but it doesn't seem like it's the filter's weight that's concerning you; rather it's the inertial drag of a heavier filter on the camera's movement. If that's the case then isn't it simplier to measure the time it takes for the camera to pan L2R, Up2Dn & etc and compare those measured times between filters? OTOH, if filter weight was really a big deal, seems like it would have emerged as an issue long before now.
This was really only a concern in the beginning when filters were first coming to the market, I saw some that were over 45 grains, and that is about the tipping point where they may or may not initialize. All the manufacturers have figured it out now. Obviously the lighter the filter the less your motor will have to work.

Interesting you used a powder scale.
The Pro 2 is less a problem that the Phantom 4 Pro, have filters for both. Because of positioning to center the Phantom is much more sensitive . Don’t think I see a problem here with any of the weights

Yep it was a powder scale
;)

Have not heard of any problems lately, just wanted to document some of the weights I've seen.

Funny, the things we use powder scales to weigh...
Powder, brass, lead, broad-heads, dry flies, and drone filters.
Tiss an ancient measuerment...the 'grain' refers to the weight of a single kernel of wheat or barley...back in the day, that is. How many scruples are in a grain? :)

Reactions: RedBird2020
Tiss an ancient measuerment...the 'grain' refers to the weight of a single kernel of wheat or barley...back in the day, that is. How many scruples are in a grain? :)

Never heard of scruples (at least as a unit of weight measure). GOOGLEd it (yep, years ago would have looked in the encyclopedias. Hope nobody here has to GOOGLE "encyclopedias" :oops:).

Scruples - traditional system of weight in the British Isles used for the measuring and dispensing of pharmaceutical items and based on the grain, scruple (20 grains),

So to answer your question, 0.05 scruples are in a grain.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Less