DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally! Some great news on the M3 cine mode and more

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
As you may know I have been beating my drum for months, as have many of us, on the issue of how slow the M3 can fly compared to the M2P, i.e..... not very slow at all!
This has been a real issue for pros especially where we need really fine control for all sorts of reasons, often when working close up to objects whatever they might be.

For example, today I was shooting a National Geographic channel show about an iconic train that required me to go really slowly around a statue at a rail station, no matter how hard I tried the aircraft would simply stall to a stop before it got slow "enough" for the shot. Another issue is that I was required to get a shot of the train re-fuelling which is difficult as I am not allowed within 30 metres of people on my license. This would have been perfect for the 7 X optical but as it only shoots in 30P and not in the 25P required by the production I couldn't use it at all, but more on that in a minute. Today, this came from DJI Support:

"Thanks for your patience Chris,
We really appreciate the time and efforts you have invested in providing these suggestions and ideas to us.

We have discussed this with our senior engineers and we are glad to tell you that we have planned to add more advanced parameter adjustments(Including the Speed in different modes)on DJI Fly via app updates so as to meet the professional and personalized needs of more users. And it is expected to be realized quite soon if our testing and validation go smoothly."

But then hours later more promising news on 7 X @25P (and possibly 50P):

"Please do not worry, we have cascaded this issue to our senior-level before and we have now decided to deep-diving into this topic with our concerned team based on the examples that you have given.
We will get back to you as soon as possible when we got any updates."

If Sundays are for prayers answered, that's what a lot of us have!

Last edited:
Great news! Thanks for all of your efforts. Hope to see those updates soon. 👍🏾

That is good news. It seems odd that after all these years DJI hasn't figured out that their customers are wanting slower flight abilities for Cinematic shooting. But I guess like they say, "the squeaky wheel gets greased" let's just hope that they follow through and deliver something that works.

Reactions: christangey
That is good news. It seems odd that after all these years DJI hasn't figured out that their customers are wanting slower flight abilities for Cinematic shooting. But I guess like they say, "the squeaky wheel gets greased" let's just hope that they follow through and deliver something that works.
Oh, they know, or there wouldn't have been tripod mode and EXP adjustments for smoother flying in past models. This is just more of the "we release it as soon as it's warm and add the missing parts later" DJI business model.

I would be pissed if I bought a Cine model (for Cine purposes) and it didn't have Cine-shooting flying modes.

Chris

I'd rather they get it right than push out a beta prematurely.

DJI, the only place where that business model makes sense. Because if they released a full-featured product, it probably won't work properly due to lack of proper testing?

The best part: there's a buttload of consumers that are perfectly okay with that.

Chris

At the end of the day, there is no real competition that would make them have to be better. They are still the King and they know it.....

Reactions: Suren
DJI, the only place where that business model makes sense. Because if they released a full-featured product, it probably won't work properly due to lack of proper testing?

The best part: there's a buttload of consumers that are perfectly okay with that.

Chris
Some releases are better than others, and early adopters know what they are getting into, if they buy at release. For the happiest DJI experience, stay one model behind the latest and greatest. That is still the M2P. M3 is still maturing. I advise waiting 9-12 months after release of any DJI product, unless you understand and accept the beta testing role. We aren't fully there yet on the M3, although I am thoroughly already enjoying mine, despite a few minor annoyances. Tried resetting the HP to the RC-Pro, which was connected to home wifi. It refused, telling me to turn on location services. They were already on. Made for a sketchy return, as all the measured distances to the HP were negative! Appears to to be an RC-Pro bug, so wait for a HP before flying away! Ascending to 96 feet is fine, but don't fly away, until the HP is set, unless you fully understand the consequences!

Some releases are better than others, and early adopters know what they are getting into,

Yah hear the warning, new buyers? Don't buy just-released DJI product.

I'm sure the DJI sales team would be happy to hear you're giving people the straight scoop.

Chris

Latest from support specifically on the 7 X optical issue and the request for 25 and if possible, 50P.

"We have discussed this with our concerned team and yes, we have received the same or similar feedback from other users as well. We have cascaded this to the R&D for further review and evaluation. Sorry for the inconvenience since to realize this may take longer than the speed adjustment that we have mentioned before. But rest assured that we will try our best."

So at least DJI are now responsive on this and trying to resolve it, I presume if they do add 50P they will also add 60P.

Yah hear the warning, new buyers? Don't buy just-released DJI product.

I'm sure the DJI sales team would be happy to hear you're giving people the straight scoop.

Chris
That has been the best advice forever for ANY newly released product from ANY manufacturer! It also applies to all drone manufacturers. Nothing new. Early adopters are always beta testers for those that follow.

Latest from support specifically on the 7 X optical issue and the request for 25 and if possible, 50P.

"We have discussed this with our concerned team and yes, we have received the same or similar feedback from other users as well. We have cascaded this to the R&D for further review and evaluation. Sorry for the inconvenience since to realize this may take longer than the speed adjustment that we have mentioned before. But rest assured that we will try our best."

So at least DJI are now responsive on this and trying to resolve it, I presume if they do add 50P they will also add 60P.
I wouldn’t read too much into the reply. Certainly wouldn't make any presumptions. Basically, they are merely acknowledging your request and that of others, and it will be given the weight they deem appropriate. Review and evaluation does not mean implementation. R&D does what they want, and not necessarily what you or I want. Just being realistic.

Oh, they know, or there wouldn't have been tripod mode and EXP adjustments for smoother flying in past models. This is just more of the "we release it as soon as it's warm and add the missing parts later" DJI business model.

I would be pissed if I bought a Cine model (for Cine purposes) and it didn't have Cine-shooting flying modes.

Chris

I'd agree with that. Having 25/50fps in 7x and tripod-style speed is just so obvious. Any remotely professional early tester would've let them know.

Good to know that it's coming though.

Can they also make Normal colour mode 10-bit? It is in ProRes/Cine but not on the plain model. I think the DLog on the Mavic 3 is horrific compared to the Mavic 2. The colour accuracy is very poor, IME.

Reactions: christangey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54