DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Find My Drone" DOES Work!!

sprtbkrydr

Reactions
I was on a 8.5K run and on the way back my Mavic decided that it wanted to land with 23% battery. Needless to say I did not make it to my home point! Had to ditch it in a very large corn field but within 10 minutes of getting out of the car find my drone put me dead on where it was. Folks this little feature is worth a $1000! Yes, Find My Drone does work and it works vey well I must add. Thanks DJI for putting this great feature into the Go 4 app.

Last edited:
So with this built-in why do people spend their money for an outboard GPS?
Because it's only useful if your drone is in the last location recorded in the flight log on your mobile device. That's not always the case.

Reactions: sprtbkrydr
Because it's only useful if your drone is in the last location recorded in the flight log on your mobile device. That's not always the case.
Can you give me an example of when it would not work? So if say the drone lost connection with the controller and went down it would then not work?

Can you give me an example of when it would not work? So if say the drone lost connection with the controller and went down it would then not work?

RC loses connection to drone, drone for whatever reason is unable to RTH (battery, obstacles etc).
Last received location can be a long way from actual location if it drifts on the wind or does a critical battery landing out of RC range due to terrain.

RC loses connection to drone, drone for whatever reason is unable to RTH (battery, obstacles etc).
Last received location can be a long way from actual location if it drifts on the wind or does a critical battery landing out of RC range due to terrain.
Yeah Ok I got ya. Thanks!

This implementation of find my drone is one of the easier bits of the software. It is just always showing the last known position. Compared to the rather complex flight control and stabilization, pretty much everyone can program this feature.
Why should it not work?

As Msinger stated there can be situations where this simple function could not tell you where the drone is. For example if it switched off mid flight and then drifted to the ground. Or if it landed and switched off on a moving platform...

This implementation of find my drone is one of the easier bits of the software. It is just always showing the last known position. Compared to the rather complex flight control and stabilization, pretty much everyone can program this feature.
Why should it not work?

As Msinger stated there can be situations where this simple function could not tell you where the drone is. For example if it switched off mid flight and then drifted to the ground. Or if it landed and switched off on a moving platform...
So really it's only good for when you have to ditch the bird.

So really it's only good for when you have to ditch the bird.

Its good if you have RC connection up to the crash or landing.
Its better than nothing if you lost it whilst hovering or shortly before hitting the ground as it'll give a rough area to look. The main problem is the DRONE knows where it is but it cant tell the RC where it is.

Why did it want to autoland with 23% battery, I thought it would start auto landing now at 15% with latest firmwares. Have you got the critical battery level set above 10% or something? Cheers

Why did it want to autoland with 23% battery, I thought it would start auto landing now at 15% with latest firmwares. Have you got the critical battery level set above 10% or something? Cheers
You tell me and we'll both know. My critical is set for 10%

Wow, that is seriously worrying! F^&&%%'n Dji!!!! Could you still maintain height and speed despite it wanting to auto land?

Wow, that is seriously worrying! F^&&%%'n Dji!!!! Could you still maintain height and speed despite it wanting to auto land?
Rudder is all that would work. I just had to land right where I was at. Luckily there was a large corn field right there I landed in with no damage to the bird at all. I lived in that area about all my life so I knew pretty much where it was at to start with and found it fairly quickly.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead