DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Find my Drone - GPS location

goixiz

Reactions
Firstly - this is a prep in case (touch wood) i have to do this - I never plan to fly far but never know what can happen.

OK. I a now flying with ipadmini4 device without GPS
In case of a flyaways or mishap. What will be my quickest go to option to locate the bird. I will have my cellphone iphone6 w/ gps and data and of course my ipadmini4

Assume i go into my find my drone and get final gps coordinates as a go to base point or do i sync my log and use a third party flightlog analysis ?

Thanks

Your iPad will give you the location and your iPhone can navigate you to that location. That's what I would do if the "Find my drone" function gives you a good last location.

You only need to start analyzing the logs if the aircraft disconnected before landing, lost GPS etc., and you need to extrapolate from the last recorded position to estimate where it might have landed.

Reactions: goixiz
Your iPad will give you the location and your iPhone can navigate you to that location. That's what I would do if the "Find my drone" function gives you a good last location.

You only need to start analyzing the logs if the aircraft disconnected before landing, lost GPS etc., and you need to extrapolate from the last recorded position to estimate where it might have landed.

Thanks but i would assume if i do need to find it something mostlikely not normall happened
So will the "find my drone"still be the best "GOTO" option ?

Thanks but i would assume if i do need to find it something mostlikely not normall happened
So will the "find my drone"still be the best "GOTO" option ?

It's the simplest option if all you want to do is find it and the RC received its final location. Figuring out what happened is a different matter - that may require looking at the logs. There is no single answer that fits all situations.

I very recently had the misfortune of having to use the Find My Drone function and it took me to the exact location my drone was in.

So well done DJI .....

PS I am in denial so don't want to talk about it ... :)

Reactions: colinfowler and rfc
It's the simplest option if all you want to do is find it and the RC received its final location. Figuring out what happened is a different matter - that may require looking at the logs. There is no single answer that fits all situations.
ok so whi
goal is to locate drone of course - what happened can come later
So what would you do to locate the drone when it goes out of control and not RTH

ok so whi

So what would you do to locate the drone when it goes out of control and not RTH

As I said - that depends. If the RC has downlink from the aircraft until the crash then the crash location will be in the log and available via "Find my Drone". If the connection is lost before it crashes/lands then "Find my Drone" will not work, but the log file may be able to provide data from which the likely final location can be estimated.

ok so whi

In the case of not having the GPS location you would use the direction of travel plus wind speed and potential flight time to work out its location .....

There are quite a few topics here showing tbis type of recovery..

Reactions: goixiz
In the case of not having the GPS location you would use the direction of travel plus wind speed and potential flight time to work out its location .....

There are quite a few topics here showing tbis type of recovery..
If i have a GPS coordinate i will use my cellphone (my backup device) to guide me to the spot.

If i have a GPS coordinate i will use my cellphone (my backup device) to guide me to the spot.
As I recently had to use this function I dropped a pin in Google maps once I was at the location and sheared it.

It took me two days to work out how I was going to get it down :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO