DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Findings after returning Mini 2 for Air 2, Amateur Comparison.

I doubt Airzscrews claims specific to the MA2. For the MP1 with original props and the MA1, sure as those were noisy but DJI has done a lot better with prop design in the last couple years.
Agreed. I had their props on my MA1 and there was little difference. Also, they ere fragile so I daren’t leave them on the drone whilst in the case.

Reactions: mchulst
Preparing for a trip to the mountains this month I purchased a Mini 2 on 12/1/20. After flying it for several days and getting some good footage I realized how much I enjoyed this drone and began looking at other DJI products. I found the Air 2 decided that the better camera, Focus Track Modes, and Collision Avoidance were well worth the extra cost. Thus, I returned my Mini 2 to Best Buy and Purchased the Air 2 Fly More Combo.

I took the Air 2with us to Ashville this Weekend, here are some thoughts.

it is an excellent drone and a pretty inclusive combo. I have no gripes about the Air 2 for what it is and am happy I purchased it. However, it is a good deal louder. Combine that with its larger size and you definitely could not be as “incognito” with this as the mini 2. The camera is not noticeably better from my amateur perspective. Not a good enough reason alone to upgrade for a dad just trying to shoot some cool footage on the weekend. Didn’t really get a chance to use the active tracking, but from what I have seen in other places this is more of a gimmick in DJI drones when compared to something like the skydio 2. Probably won’t get used much if at all. Other than to try it out, maybe show a friend, “hey look what this can do”. And then finally the collision avoidance. Seemed kind of annoying when manually flying near anything, kept it off a lot. The main time it would be useful would be during quick shots or when active tracking but without sensors on the top or sides it’s not usefull for this either, like when doing a helix or boomerang or circle it would hit anything to its side so I can’t fully trust it.

All this to say that if you are in the market to purchase a new drone or a first drone the Air 2 is a great choice. It is one of the best values on the market. But after trading a new Mini 2 for an Air 2 I would say that it is not worth it. The mini 2 is a great value as well. Especially if you are looking for a small compact drone.

Another interesting note: the ND filters included with the Air 2, ND 16, 32, and 246 are not as useful as the ones that DJI sells separatelly, ND4, ND8, etc. Just food for thought.

Lastly some images from the weekend. Shot with the Air 2.
Preparing for a trip to the mountains this month I purchased a Mini 2 on 12/1/20. After flying it for several days and getting some good footage I realized how much I enjoyed this drone and began looking at other DJI products. I found the Air 2 decided that the better camera, Focus Track Modes, and Collision Avoidance were well worth the extra cost. Thus, I returned my Mini 2 to Best Buy and Purchased the Air 2 Fly More Combo.

it is an excellent drone and a pretty inclusive combo. I have no gripes about the Air 2 for what it is and am happy I purchased it. However, it is a good deal louder. Combine that with its larger size and you definitely could not be as “incognito” with this as the mini 2. The camera is not noticeably better from my amateur perspective. Not a good enough reason alone to upgrade for a dad just trying to shoot some cool footage on the weekend. Didn’t really get a chance to use the active tracking, but from what I have seen in other places this is more of a gimmick in DJI drones when compared to something like the skydio 2. Probably won’t get used much if at all. Other than to try it out, maybe show a friend, “hey look what this can do”. And then finally the collision avoidance. Seemed kind of annoying when manually flying near anything, kept it off a lot. The main time it would be useful would be during quick shots or when active tracking but without sensors on the top or sides it’s not usefull for this either, like when doing a helix or boomerang or circle it would hit anything to its side so I can’t fully trust it.

All this to say that if you are in the market to purchase a new drone or a first drone the Air 2 is a great choice. It is one of the best values on the market. But after trading a new Mini 2 for an Air 2 I would say that it is not worth it. The mini 2 is a great value as well. Especially if you are looking for a small compact drone.

Another interesting note: the ND filters included with the Air 2, ND 16, 32, and 246 are not as useful as the ones that DJI sells separatelly, ND4, ND8, etc. Just food for thought.

I bought the Mini 2 on 12/30/2020, first drone ever, couldn't afford the MA2 right now, love how quiet and compact the Mini 2 is. A lot of bang for the buck.

100% agreed. I did the oposite. Have to return the MA2 in warranty and then the Mini2 appear in scene. For half the price, exactly same fun. Size, weight, price and sound are all bonuses with this little marvel.

Reactions: raymairjr
First time drone buyer here. The big thing that has me leaning toward the Air 2 over the mini 2 is the active tracking, otherwise I think I would be perfectly happy with the mini 2. Am I expecting too much from the active tracking?

First time drone buyer here. The big thing that has me leaning toward the Air 2 over the mini 2 is the active tracking, otherwise I think I would be perfectly happy with the mini 2. Am I expecting too much from the active tracking?
It is really a thing you will use rarely and it is also a major cause of MA2 crashes.

It is really a thing you will use rarely and it is also a major cause of MA2 crashes.
I am starting to think that. I'm fine with the photo/video quality from the Mini 2 and would also appreciate the lighter weight and quieter operation for hiking, etc. I like the USB C charging and quick transfer of files. Other than the active tracking, I don't see a whole lot I would be missing if I went with the Mini 2 instead of the Air 2.

I had an Autel drone a few years ago (still have it but batteries don't work and replacements aren't available). I used it for a while but then it gathered dust as it was just too big of package to haul around. I think the Mini 2 would get me back into drones.

Reactions: raymairjr
Active Track seems to work fairly well when you understand it’s limitations and use it accordingly. However if you do not do this it could lead to crashed. Below is a video I made at a local park using active track. It was following my my wife and kids around a track. On one side of the track is lined with trees and the other having large light poles for a soccer field. The MA2 did an excellent job moving around the trees and poles and maintaining track.

Active Track seems to work fairly well when you understand it’s limitations and use it accordingly. However if you do not do this it could lead to crashed. Below is a video I made at a local park using active track. It was following my my wife and kids around a track. On one side of the track is lined with trees and the other having large light poles for a soccer field. The MA2 did an excellent job moving around the trees and poles and maintaining track.

Was the drone doing that all automatically with no input from you? Looks pretty usable to me.

That day was 100% active track. It did an excellent job of weaving between light poles as it changed direction and had no issues smoothly dodging branches/limbs in trees.

This video was a combination of quick shots and active track. With one flyover done manually.

it may not be a feature that can be used every flight but it is nice to have when it can be used.

The air 2 is not that much bigger than the mini 2. It all packs in the same fly more combo bag. It does generate a little more noise but a lower frequency so maybe more pleasant.

my overall recommendation is to go for the MA2 if you are in the market to buy. Unless you need the absolute smallest quietest 4K drone.

From my point of view the Air 2 does add quite a bit of value over the Mini 2. For me (semi-pro videographer) the advantages of the Air 2 camera are there even if they aren't huge. The MM2 doesn't have D-Cinelike or a HDR video mode like the MA2, both of which are pretty important to me.

Also I'm finding the Active Track on the MA2 to be quite useable, unlike most previous DJI drones. I'm a big fan of manual flying to get the best shots, but the Spotlight 2.0 is pretty amazing, letting me get shots that would a lot of tries to do manually. The obstacle avoidance is also actually getting to the point where it's useable.

But I would agree, the MM2 is a great value!

From my point of view the Air 2 does add quite a bit of value over the Mini 2. For me (semi-pro videographer) the advantages of the Air 2 camera are there even if they aren't huge. The MM2 doesn't have D-Cinelike or a HDR video mode like the MA2, both of which are pretty important to me.

Also I'm finding the Active Track on the MA2 to be quite useable, unlike most previous DJI drones. I'm a big fan of manual flying to get the best shots, but the Spotlight 2.0 is pretty amazing, letting me get shots that would a lot of tries to do manually. The obstacle avoidance is also actually getting to the point where it's useable.

But I would agree, the MM2 is a great value!
Wow, I am really torn. I watched a YouTube video about the Spotlight mode and it exactly what I think I would like to be able to do with a drone. After all, what’s the point of taking videos of stationery objects?

That being said, I just received 1 of each of the Fly More combos from Amazon. I need to make my choice before I open one or the other up. The box with the Air 2 combo weighs 6 lbs. 10 oz., and the box with the Mini 2 combo weighs 3 lbs. 10 oz. That means there is a substantial difference when carrying the whole kit.

Although I can afford either, since I am a beginner I think I’ll start with the Mini 2. If I end up using it a lot and want to expand my capabilities I can always step up to the Air 2 or Pro 2.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Wow, I am really torn. I watched a YouTube video about the Spotlight mode and it exactly what I think I would like to be able to do with a drone. After all, what’s the point of taking videos of stationery objects?

That being said, I just received 1 of each of the Fly More combos from Amazon. I need to make my choice before I open one or the other up. The box with the Air 2 combo weighs 6 lbs. 10 oz., and the box with the Mini 2 combo weighs 3 lbs. 10 oz. That means there is a substantial difference when carrying the whole kit.

Although I can afford either, since I am a beginner I think I’ll start with the Mini 2. If I end up using it a lot and want to expand my capabilities I can always step up to the Air 2 or Pro 2.
There is some weight difference to the kit as a whole, not as much as that comparison would make it seem. The packaging for the Air 2 is a lot more substantial than for the mini 2 for some reason though you cant tell that looking at it from the outside. The MA2 charger adds to that difference because of the transformer block. The mini 2 uses a small charger more like a cell phone charging brick. Which does bring up a convenience I haven't thought to mention, because the charger uses a USB-C to USB cable you can more easily charger your batteries with the mini 2. i.e charge in a car using a usb charging connection vice needing a dedicated car charger for the MA2.

I will say that carrying both kits once unpacked into the bag I did not notice a difference.

If money is not an issue, being a new drone user and already torn between the two, same situation as myself. If you do decide on the mini 2 I think you will in short order want more. But you certainly will not go wrong with whichever you decide.

Amazon will give you a full return on these even if opened. Why not take one or both out and handle them, test fly them and then decide. I had my Mini 2, purchased from Best Buy, for 2 weeks with a number of flight before I ultimately returned and got the Air 2. Returned with no issues for full refund.

I am now eagerly awaiting the smart controller for my Air 2, cannot wait for it to deliver Wednesday and take that for a test flight,

I was in the same situation and went with the Mini 2, your reasoning is logical and I think the right choice for you. As you say we may end up going for the Air 2 or more at a later stage.

Enjoy!

Never used the Mini 2 but if you can afford either, the Air 2 does have quite a few great upgrades.

I really like the active track feature on the MA2. I took it for a test run this morning on our small gravel road with trees lining both sides, and it followed me all the way along staying in the road, away from the trees and brush and power poles. The Spotlight mode is really great close up manuevers. One of the big reasons I use drones is to put stationary objects in motion in video.

Anyway there are both great drones I think, but the MA2 will give you a lot more room to grow.

There is some weight difference to the kit as a whole, not as much as that comparison would make it seem. The packaging for the Air 2 is a lot more substantial than for the mini 2 for some reason though you cant tell that looking at it from the outside. The MA2 charger adds to that difference because of the transformer block. The mini 2 uses a small charger more like a cell phone charging brick. Which does bring up a convenience I haven't thought to mention, because the charger uses a USB-C to USB cable you can more easily charger your batteries with the mini 2. i.e charge in a car using a usb charging connection vice needing a dedicated car charger for the MA2.

I will say that carrying both kits once unpacked into the bag I did not notice a difference.

If money is not an issue, being a new drone user and already torn between the two, same situation as myself. If you do decide on the mini 2 I think you will in short order want more. But you certainly will not go wrong with whichever you decide.

Amazon will give you a full return on these even if opened. Why not take one or both out and handle them, test fly them and then decide. I had my Mini 2, purchased from Best Buy, for 2 weeks with a number of flight before I ultimately returned and got the Air 2. Returned with no issues for full refund.

I am now eagerly awaiting the smart controller for my Air 2, cannot wait for it to deliver Wednesday and take that for a test flight,
You should be in sales, LOL.

Seriously, you've got me leaning towards the Air 2 now. The funny thing is, if I didn't know about the Mini 2, I'd be super impressed with the small size and weight of the Air 2. The Air 2, both the drone and the kit, are about a third of the weight of the Autel X-Star I used to have.

I started thinking about why I need the smaller model and it would be for hiking. But, the majority of my hiking is done in areas where drones aren't allowed. So, I can carry the extra weight of the Air 2 the few times I would be taking it with me.

My only other hesitation is the noise level. Everything I've seen indicates the Mini 2 is a fair amount quieter than the Air 2. Is that your experience?

If I was unhappy with my choice, I would not hesitate to return it to Amazon. But to be fair, I want to start out with the intention of keeping whichever drone I start using. In the end, any returned merchandise goes back to the vendor, so it would be DJI's problem to deal with, not Amazon's. So I am trying to be mindful of their costs if I were to return something.

I guess looking at it from the flip side, if I get tired of transporting the Air 2 around and want something smaller, I can always "upgrade" to the Mini 2.

You should be in sales, LOL.

Seriously, you've got me leaning towards the Air 2 now. The funny thing is, if I didn't know about the Mini 2, I'd be super impressed with the small size and weight of the Air 2. The Air 2, both the drone and the kit, are about a third of the weight of the Autel X-Star I used to have.

I started thinking about why I need the smaller model and it would be for hiking. But, the majority of my hiking is done in areas where drones aren't allowed. So, I can carry the extra weight of the Air 2 the few times I would be taking it with me.

My only other hesitation is the noise level. Everything I've seen indicates the Mini 2 is a fair amount quieter than the Air 2. Is that your experience?

If I was unhappy with my choice, I would not hesitate to return it to Amazon. But to be fair, I want to start out with the intention of keeping whichever drone I start using. In the end, any returned merchandise goes back to the vendor, so it would be DJI's problem to deal with, not Amazon's. So I am trying to be mindful of their costs if I were to return something.

I guess looking at it from the flip side, if I get tired of transporting the Air 2 around and want something smaller, I can always "upgrade" to the Mini 2.

I just get passionate and enjoy sharing my thoughts. Hope my insights are helpful.

The MA2 is a little louder in a quiet environment for sure. But the sound it makes is lower in tone and more pleasant if you know what I mean. Either one sound wise I think you will be pleased as both of these are mouth quieter than other DJI drones and it’s competitors form what I have gathered.

I will also say that when flying around at the park or anywhere with some ambient sound, The MA2 is not really noticeable to me. I have seen in the forum, and haven’t tried them because I don’t think they are needed. Master Airscrew just released Stealth Props for the MA2 claiming a 37% noise reduction and some speed and flight time performance increases. These are not offered for the mini.

I have some pocket 2 footage of the MA2 hovering in the park. I can try to find that and post for you to hear what it sounds like. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to do the same with the mini 2. This video from the Mater Airscrew page give you a good idea of what the MA2 sounds like.

Last edited:
I just get passionate and enjoy sharing my thoughts. Hope my insights are helpful.

The MA2 is a little louder in a quiet environment for sure. But the sound it makes is lower in tone and more pleasant if you know what I mean. Either one sound wise I think you will be pleased as both of these are mouth quieter than other DJI drones and it’s competitors form what I have gathered.

I will also say that when flying around at the park or anywhere with some ambient sound, The MA2 is not really noticeable to me. I have seen in the forum, and haven’t tried them because I don’t think they are needed. Master Airscrew just released Stealth Props for the MA2 claiming a 37% noise reduction and some speed and flight time performance increases. These are not offered for the mini.

I have some pocket 2 footage of the MA2 hovering in the park. I can try to find that and post for you to hear what it sounds like. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to do the same with the mini 2. This video from the Mater Airscrew page give you a good idea of what the MA2 sounds like.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think that will be necessary. I watched Jake Sloan's video comparing the two and it helped a little but he had to fly the Mini 2 out next to the Air 2 and it was hard to make a direct comparison.

I'm always leery of things like those aftermarket propellers. I mean the manufacturers are always trying to one up each other in their specs, if the propellers are that much better why wouldn't Mavic put something like that on the drone to begin with to improve their specs.

I'm just going to bite the bullet this evening and start using the Air 2.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think that will be necessary. I watched Jake Sloan's video comparing the two and it helped a little but he had to fly the Mini 2 out next to the Air 2 and it was hard to make a direct comparison.

I'm always leery of things like those aftermarket propellers. I mean the manufacturers are always trying to one up each other in their specs, if the propellers are that much better why wouldn't Mavic put something like that on the drone to begin with to improve their specs.

I'm just going to bite the bullet this evening and start using the Air 2.

I am the same as you regarding aftermarket. I doubt they make much difference if any at all. And just like cars, you can’t beat the R&D that goes into OEM parts. Let me know what you think about the Air 2 after you take it out. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter