DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Findings after returning Mini 2 for Air 2, Amateur Comparison.

I am the same as you regarding aftermarket. I doubt they make much difference if any at all. And just like cars, you can’t beat the R&D that goes into OEM parts. Let me know what you think about the Air 2 after you take it out. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Ok, I’ve settled on the Air 2. Didn’t get home until later this evening so only got to fire it up and fly around in my living room. It is much quieter than I expected, I’ll be able to live with the noise level. I will have plenty of time to use it outdoors tomorrow but will have limited internet access. It may be a few days before I report back.

P.s. I did take the Mini 2 out of the box just to look at it. If you don’t need the tracking or obstruction sensors and need something to travel with, it is a cool bit of kit. Not just the drone itself, but the little touches like the battery charger, onboard USB C charging, etc. It would be very easy to travel with.

Maybe if I really get into using my Air 2 a lot I’ll want to get a Mini 2 when I travel. LOL.

I am the same as you regarding aftermarket. I doubt they make much difference if any at all. And just like cars, you can’t beat the R&D that goes into OEM parts. Let me know what you think about the Air 2 after you take it out. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Actually third party sometimes does improve on OEM, both for cars and DJI.

I can see it if you were a serious drone user. The Air 2 for use around town, car trips, etc. The Mini 2 for backpacking, trips via air travel (remember those?) :)
Maybe I'm too much of a serious photographer and filmmaker, but for air travel, I'd be wanting to take the best drone I could fit. Provided of course the destinations is interesting. When you're taking a good load of camera gear anyway, the difference between a MA2 and a MM2 isn't that huge. lol

I am dangerously close to buying a mini2 to go with my MA2 after reading this!
I just did...seems the perfect biking/hiking solution. It fits in this frame bag with room left over.IMG_0611_DxO.jpg

Reactions: TheDude and JackL
I just did...seems the perfect biking/hiking solution. It fits in this frame bag with room left over.

Nice! That's exactly one of the reasons I got the Mini 2. Fits in my Canyon gravel bike frame bag perfectly, while still leaving room for food and supplies for a multi-hour ride.
IMG_7130.JPG

Reactions: mchulst and rp6
Just out of curiosity why would you need both?
2 very different performance and noise envelopes. Fly the air 2 when able and the mini 2 where regulations and noise become an issue. They also share the same RC which helps when packing light. The mini 2 only adds 240g extra weight when sharing the RC.
The mini 2 can be recharged with a cheap power bank in-between stops on a hike etc

Reactions: nickezekiev and rp6
Maybe I'm too much of a serious photographer and filmmaker, but for air travel, I'd be wanting to take the best drone I could fit. Provided of course the destinations is interesting. When you're taking a good load of camera gear anyway, the difference between a MA2 and a MM2 isn't that huge. lol
Myself, I am not that serious of a photographer. I like to travel as light as possible and normally just bring a compact zoom with me. I could easily be satisfied with the photos from my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but I like having a viewfinder and more zoom. I’ve never gotten home and looked at a picture and wished I had a better camera.

There were only 2 reasons I chose the Air 2 over the Mini 2. Active tracking and obstacle avoidance. I know the Air 2 has a few advantages camera wise, but from what I’ve seen in the reviews there is not a substantial advantage over the Mini 2.

@TheDude and @rp6. Just curious, since the Mini 2 does not have active tracking, how do you use it when mountain biking? Mostly photos?
I use it biking in a few different ways. For nature and general scenery shots, or dedicated “Drone First” outings, I’ll use the bike as a vehicle to get to an area I want to fly and get footage of, that would be difficult or impossible by car. Or for “Bike First” rides where the ride is the priority, I like to explore new areas or forests or gravel roads and just want to get a few stills and video of where the journey took me to share with friends and family.

If I’m wanting to incorporate the bike in the footage or be the subject myself (for either use case above), then I’ll use it sort of like a stationary and ultra versatile tripod, in combination with another fixed camera, or my iPhone/GoPro using a Gorillapod on a tree etc, and to get additional scenery shots of the riding location. Similar to this:

I really wanted active track and see how it would be fun for riding, but where I live and ride it’s mostly large 200+ foot (60 meter) tall trees (PNW), and it seems active track doesn’t do so well with riding down in the trees. But it would still be fun for the occasional clearings, no doubt. However, I’ve been experimenting with using the quick shots which sort of works, like this:

I have no doubt I’ll end up getting a bigger more capable drone in the future, but the portability for me right now has been astounding. I’m hesitant to buy an Air 2 right now since it’s getting long in the tooth for DJI non-pro drones which seem to be about one year, vs the Mini 2 being a new release. I know I’d feel remorse if an Air 3 came out a couple months after buying the Air 2 right now. Where as if an Air 3 is released in the next few months I could justify keeping both the Mini 2 and getting a bigger drone for different use cases.

Myself, I am not that serious of a photographer. I like to travel as light as possible and normally just bring a compact zoom with me. I could easily be satisfied with the photos from my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but I like having a viewfinder and more zoom. I’ve never gotten home and looked at a picture and wished I had a better camera.

There were only 2 reasons I chose the Air 2 over the Mini 2. Active tracking and obstacle avoidance. I know the Air 2 has a few advantages camera wise, but from what I’ve seen in the reviews there is not a substantial advantage over the Mini 2.
That's great! Just stay that way! lol. I almost always "have" to take at least one DSLR and a few lenses. Plus accessories. It can really be a pain traveling with gear!

I think those are the two biggest things. As I've experimented with tracking and putting it though some challenging situations, I've been increasingly amazed at how well it works.

I use it biking in a few different ways. For nature and general scenery shots, or dedicated “Drone First” outings, I’ll use the bike as a vehicle to get to an area I want to fly and get footage of, that would be difficult or impossible by car. Or for “Bike First” rides where the ride is the priority, I like to explore new areas or forests or gravel roads and just want to get a few stills and video of where the journey took me to share with friends and family.

If I’m wanting to incorporate the bike in the footage or be the subject myself (for either use case above), then I’ll use it sort of like a stationary and ultra versatile tripod, in combination with another fixed camera, or my iPhone/GoPro using a Gorillapod on a tree etc, and to get additional scenery shots of the riding location. Similar to this:
I really wanted active track and see how it would be fun for riding, but where I live and ride it’s mostly large 200+ foot (60 meter) tall trees (PNW), and it seems active track doesn’t do so well with riding down in the trees. But it would still be fun for the occasional clearings, no doubt. However, I’ve been experimenting with using the quick shots which sort of works, like this:

I have no doubt I’ll end up getting a bigger more capable drone in the future, but the portability for me right now has been astounding. I’m hesitant to buy an Air 2 right now since it’s getting long in the tooth for DJI non-pro drones which seem to be about one year, vs the Mini 2 being a new release. I know I’d feel remorse if an Air 3 came out a couple months after buying the Air 2 right now. Where as if an Air 3 is released in the next few months I could justify keeping both the Mini 2 and getting a bigger drone for different use cases.
Ok, I took the Air 2 out mountain biking yesterday. I’m not sure I have the patience to make a habit of it. I thought I would just have it follow me and then pick out the best footage when I got home (with a battery change or 2). I got about 3/4 of a mile and the drone just stopped. I got off my bike and took the controller out of my backpack and saw that I had reached the maximum range in my settings. I went in the settings and fixed this, but when I put the controller back in my backpack I hit the power off button. The drone then took off for the home point and I had to chase it back to my starting point. I then decided that trying to do anything with the controller in my backpack was too much of a challenge. I guess I could try to rig up a handlebar mount, but I ride over some pretty rugged terrain.

I did stop at one point and tried different tracking functions with me going up a short climb. It worked well and I’m still not sure what my favorite is. However, that was pretty time consuming and required climbing up the hill multiple times. After I do this a few more times, I don’t know that I’ll be able to create unique enough shots every time to keep from boring the rest of the world.

Overall the tracking worked relatively well, but it’s not a set and forget function.

I’m going an a long hike tomorrow. I don’t think I’ll be using the tracking, but I would like to get some shots at my destination. We’ll see at the end of the hike if I’ll be wishing I had the lighter Mini 2.

P.s..I’m very pleased with the quality of the photos and videos.

Ok, I took the Air 2 out mountain biking yesterday. I’m not sure I have the patience to make a habit of it. I thought I would just have it follow me and then pick out the best footage when I got home (with a battery change or 2). I got about 3/4 of a mile and the drone just stopped. I got off my bike and took the controller out of my backpack and saw that I had reached the maximum range in my settings. I went in the settings and fixed this, but when I put the controller back in my backpack I hit the power off button. The drone then took off for the home point and I had to chase it back to my starting point. I then decided that trying to do anything with the controller in my backpack was too much of a challenge. I guess I could try to rig up a handlebar mount, but I ride over some pretty rugged terrain.

I did stop at one point and tried different tracking functions with me going up a short climb. It worked well and I’m still not sure what my favorite is. However, that was pretty time consuming and required climbing up the hill multiple times. After I do this a few more times, I don’t know that I’ll be able to create unique enough shots every time to keep from boring the rest of the world.

Overall the tracking worked relatively well, but it’s not a set and forget function.

I’m going an a long hike tomorrow. I don’t think I’ll be using the tracking, but I would like to get some shots at my destination. We’ll see at the end of the hike if I’ll be wishing I had the lighter Mini 2.

P.s..I’m very pleased with the quality of the photos and videos.

Where you trying to use the quick shots to have the MA2 track you along your ride like the video using the mini or where you using Active Track (trace/parallel)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast