DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fireworks

Jack Daw

Reactions
I'd like to shoot the local fireworks this July 4. Does anybody have any strong feelings about the best way to do this? What's a safe distance? Should I try and get above them? If so, how high are the works generally shot? Etc.

I'd like to shoot the local fireworks this July 4. Does anybody have any strong feelings about the best way to do this? What's a safe distance? Should I try and get above them? If so, how high are the works generally shot? Etc.

I did this last year probably sat about 100ft over then got awesome videos from it

I'm going to do them again this year and did them last year from the side but this year I think I am going to get with
the fireworks guys and see how high their highest will go if they know then go about 100' higher and lower as needed
and work with them if they will let me . I ether get up to late or early and if they will let me use a light shining straight up to center .
Only thing I worry about was the what if something hits it and it drops straight down knocking over one of the tubes and points it at the crowd .
Very unlikely but I like to worry :)

Just thought of something else. This is a small town so is not that bad but there are more drones flying here that I know of
and if one flys in and that is possible and collides with one of us that wouldn't be cool .
I know members here know all this it's the others I worry about .
Just be bad aware guys and to be honest I'm not sure if it's even legal .
Might have to rethink this .
OK all I got to say..
dos30bc_8036fb8cf8ced41ca30858df79e7e9af8221ec4f.gif

It depends on what you mean by local fireworks. If it is small neighborhood displays I just fly straight up and shoot from the side so I can capture other explosions in the distance. It is also the safest way to do it because I do not fly over unseen people in the dark below. You need to set the focus manually and for stills use tripod mode and a slow shutter speed for longer spark trails. If it is at all windy you will probably need to have a fast shutter speed to freeze the action.

I would not fly above the fireworks unless I was the one lighting them. That way I am only putting myself at risk if there is a problem.

I would only shoot commercial displays from far away because there would be more people on the ground and the charges are more powerful.

Keep in mind that night-flying is considered unsafe (and against the guidelines/rules/law) and you may not be the only one up there.

Reactions: Norm62
Late, I know. Shot some neighborhood fireworks with my MP. 14+ satellites kept it very steady. Went up 125 feet over my own driveway and just ran through a couple batteries. That height looks down a bit on most citizen friendly fireworks. Closest fireworks were 4-5 houses away. After looking around online, I found that iso1600 4K 24fps shutter at 1/50 works well. Left WB on auto which made some of it look purplish. In hindsight, it seems cloudy WB works well from watching other's videos. I've made some notes for New Years.

Reactions: mad monkey
I loved how this showed how many seperate locations where firing, no other perspective gives you this kind of shot of a flat city.
And...we are a small town <6000 so things like this get taken very seriously :) Really, just by accident I've gotten into time-lapse and time-stretch video's. This really was just an accident :)

Thank you for the compliment!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato