DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware questions/New M2P

gcopter1

Reactions
I just received today my M2P. I see it is on version 01.00.0200.
I charged the batteries, turned it on, didn't get no NFZ warnings even though, per the DJI map, I live under a warning zone, and an enhanced zone , nearby.
I also read the release notes, for the next three versions; .0300, .0400, .0510.
Didn't see anything in particular that would enhance or improve my experience.

But, I want it to run it by you guys first before I do any upgrade to the FW.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gcopter1,

I'm big on updating. But if I were in your shoes, I would wait and fly the bird as is for awhile, just so you know that if there are problems, it was with the product with the firmware it shipped with (and possibly the problem, if any, would be not even firmware related).

When you're sure everything's okay, if you then want to update the firmware, do it one version at a time and do a couple of simple tests in-between.

As for the philosophy of updates: don't expect the release notes to reveal all of the changes. That's almost never the case. One thing is for sure: while it is always possible for them to introduce an issue (bug) with a new firmware, it is MUCH more likely that any unlisted changes are safety improvements (in other words, fixes to the firmware after many crash reports, but with no public admission that there ever was a crashing problem with a previous version of the firmware).

After knowing I have a stable aircraft, I always update when new firmware comes out. I sometimes wait a week or three to make sure there aren't any known issues with a newly released version (like there was 3 weeks ago just before I went on a long road trip), but I always update to the newest soon after.

Chris

gcopter1,

I'm big on updating. But if I were in your shoes, I would wait and fly the bird as is for awhile, just so you know that if there are problems, it was with the product with the firmware it shipped with (and possibly the problem, if any, would be not even firmware related).

When you're sure everything's okay, if you then want to update the firmware, do it one version at a time and do a couple of simple tests in-between.

As for the philosophy of updates: don't expect the release notes to reveal all of the changes. That's almost never the case. One thing is for sure: while it is always possible for them to introduce an issue (bug) with a new firmware, it is MUCH more likely that any unlisted changes are safety improvements (in other words, fixes to the firmware after many crash reports, but with no public admission that there ever was a crashing problem with a previous version of the firmware).

After knowing I have a stable aircraft, I always update when new firmware comes out. I sometimes wait a week or three to make sure there aren't any known issues with a newly released version (like there was 3 weeks ago just before I went on a long road trip), but I always update to the newest soon after.

Chris
That's very insightful and, much appreciated.
I realize they are benefits and risks, associated with each FW update.

Prior to me purchasing my bird, I was really concerned with the NFZ's restrictions.

I am fully aware I live under a sensitive zone ( less than 5 mile away from a general aviation airport).

With my prior drone, a Mavic Platinum, I had no problems launching my drone. ( I used to be a student pilot thus, I'm fully aware of the dangers involved)

With this new drone, and the newly introduced flight restrictions in firmware, I'm leery of the "over" zealousness with which DJI treats airspace.
Don't wanna get hit with restrictions in my backyard, specially at low altitude.

I charged my batteries, linked the drone to the remote and fortunately, no warning signs popped up.
Still, want to know if there are any critical updates I need, if any, to enjoy my drone to the fullest, beyond this version.

Thanks!

One NFZ improvement made over 6 months ago was the geometry. Instead of circles, ovals, rectangles and trapezoids are used, which allows focusing the restrictions where they are needed, such as end of runways and not so much along side of them. DJI also introduced blue zones that are almost as strict as red ones, but typically able to be self-unlocked.

Reactions: gcopter1
I have yet to launch the drone to find out. But, turned it on, placed it on the floor of my balcony, ensured it got full satellite reception and no pesky warnings materialized.
DanMan32, yes, I saw that was different from my previous experience with the Mavic Platinum.

Still debating wether I would want to update to the next FW level, but I guess that will come with flight time which I've yet to get. In the meantime, I'll keep reading anything I can find on this.

I just received today my M2P. I see it is on version 01.00.0200.
I charged the batteries, turned it on, didn't get no NFZ warnings even though, per the DJI map, I live under a warning zone, and an enhanced zone , nearby.
I also read the release notes, for the next three versions; .0300, .0400, .0510.
Didn't see anything in particular that would enhance or improve my experience.

But, I want it to run it by you guys first before I do any upgrade to the FW.

Opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
so, what you need to know is this.

if you use DJI assistant, it will not offer the option to update to a release earlier than a .400.
If you do it via DJI assistant - it will not allow to roll back to any of previous versions, earlier than .400. they placed a lock into that code to prevent any rollbacks, as NLD hacked version .100.

if you spend $50 or so - NLD software allows to update to versions up to .400 and allows to use 2 patches - to disable switch to low energy radio mode in Europe, and allows to boost domestic radio power up to 1.8W - both fixes are not exactly legal, but not very harmful either.

If you use NLD software to revert to earliest .100 version - it allows for NFZ patch to disable it. so, again, they do disable NFZ on .100 but do not disable max altitude restriction, that, actually, for me was the major issue for flying in white mountains region - NFZ hack i do not need at all.

so, not what i think - i think that NFZ patch is not worth using .100 firmware that is not very reliable. i saw odd issues with it, saw my object avoidance system to stop working completely on it and some other oddities. a revert to .400 healed it all.
i personally did not see any issues with a version .400, but updated to version .510 and it seems to be fine.
if you update to .510 directly - you will not be able to use NLD patcher with it, and from what i get they do not care to support anything above version .400 as they cannot get much done anyway.

so, unless you are traveling to Europe often and want a radio patch for that - you can update right to .510 and do not worry. biggest important fix in .510 is to have battery automatic discharge time period to be set to 5 days and it will allow future updates of that param from GO4 app - it will save your lipos. if you do a radio patch on version .400 and then go to .510 - patch seems to 'stick', for now.

I was just looking at the NLD firmware map for my M2P.
Since I'm already at .200, NLD does not support the NFZ removal.
So, I'm now left at pondering wether to update to the latest and greatest from DJI, risk more strict NFZ, or wait until NLD develops something for M2P users with higher FW versions.

Today is my second day getting re acquainted with a Mavic. I found that currently, there is no way for me to set the battery auto discharge, something I had on my previous M Platinum.

Another question, what's the relationship between the firmware updates and the Fly Safe database updates?
Could I update my FW separately from the Fly Safe database?
If so, I believe I could obtain the benefits of the FW updates without the possibility of more strict NFZ's?

I was just looking at the NLD firmware map for my M2P.
Since I'm already at .200, NLD does not support the NFZ removal.
So, I'm now left at pondering wether to update to the latest and greatest from DJI, risk more strict NFZ, or wait until NLD develops something for M2P users with higher FW versions.

Today is my second day getting re acquainted with a Mavic. I found that currently, there is no way for me to set the battery auto discharge, something I had on my previous M Platinum.
i do not have nigh hopes for NLD to ever get any progress on M2 platform, it uses good protection.

all you can get and use, if you update up to .400 are radio hacks. if you are in USA - i think they are rather pointless. for other countries it is not so, as when it goes to low power mode for Eu compliance - it affects range quite severely.
for normal USA mode, with that so called 1.8W boost, of without it - i personally did no see any critical difference. naturally, your mileage may vary. i can see some situations where 1.8W boost may be helpful, but, it is your choice. i suspect it may also eventually fry your TX in the bird, as it is unlikely it was ever envisioned to pump out more than stock USA 0.4W power.

Another question, what's the relationship between the firmware updates and the Fly Safe database updates?
Could I update my FW separately from the Fly Safe database?
If so, I believe I could obtain the benefits of the FW updates without the possibility of more strict NFZ's?

any db update is the file stored in the file system, also when you get an initial FW set it has some NFZs - permanent ones, hardcoded into it.

i would say this - it you need a drone to fly specifically inside NFZs, for whatever reason may that illegal activity be - then DJI Mavic 2 is not the hardware choice to do it.

Update.
I closed my eyes and took the plunge...
Updated to the latest FW as of October 8 2019.

Noteworthy, unlike others experience when updating to this version, I did not experience loss of settings.
I also installed all of my three batteries. On each occasion, the DJI Go4 App, noted the difference in firmware, and I updated accordingly.

After the updates, I did not fly the bird, rainy day in central Florida, however, I did place the bird near my balcony so that it would acquire satellites...no NFZ warnings popped up...so far relieved, will wait until next week when I'll be able, weather permitting, to launch the drone and see if any restrictions pop up.

Reactions: jaydee1445
Update;
Today I was able to launch my drone and flew three batteries.
Except for one occasion where I've got the one warning saying to fly with caution because of some airspace restriction (which required me to acknowledge and move on) flew with no problems.

So, I guess, DJI's lates geo-fencing update, worked out for me just fine.

I kind of knew already, I wasn't into any problems, I have an ADS-B receiver at home, which I monitor routinely, and, no traffic ever dips below 400 feet over my location. Just glad I wasn't a victim of all the horror stories I kept reading around of people unable to launch or fly.

Not saying they're wrong, but at least in my case, my fears were un-founded.

I have had the M2P for approx 5 months and have not really had the chance to fly it properly, I live in the UK near Heathrow Airport (approx 7Km) away and away from the flight path.
The M2P has NFZ restriction to 60m which seems okay, however my local area has buildings taller than 60m and I wanted the ability to increase this to 100m.

I have been doing some research, it appears that DJI have introduced protection to certain parameters such as max altitude with Anti-Rollback firmware, so no
possibility to change max altitude of 60m in my area,

Does anyone know if i buy a new mavic 2 pro , will the base firmware allow me to use the nolimitzdrone patch to remove the NFZ restrictions. I am a responsible
Drone flyer and will ensure the mavic 2 pro remains in my local vicinity

If that is the case, I will sell my current mavic 2 pro and purchase a new one.

Update.
I closed my eyes and took the plunge...
Updated to the latest FW as of October 8 2019.

Noteworthy, unlike others experience when updating to this version, I did not experience loss of settings.
I also installed all of my three batteries. On each occasion, the DJI Go4 App, noted the difference in firmware, and I updated accordingly.

After the updates, I did not fly the bird, rainy day in central Florida, however, I did place the bird near my balcony so that it would acquire satellites...no NFZ warnings popped up...so far relieved, will wait until next week when I'll be able, weather permitting, to launch the drone and see if any restrictions pop up.

So the batteries themselves get firmware updated? Do they discharge automatically without being connected the M2P?

Im also on 200fw.
Flys great.
No updates of NOTHING, and geosomething.
Learn my lesson with P3A, with new problems that they introduce after mandatory updates.

2kv5te.jpg

Since the firmware update, the batteries are now set to discharge every 10 days. Every few days I take out the batteries from storage and push the button on top one time and this resets the batteries for another 10 days.
You have it wrong.
From get go, discharge was 10 days, but you couldn't change it. Even P3's had auto discharge. Only the mini does not.
Only turning it on resets the clock. It's on M1 that viewing SoC resets the clock.
On latest firmware and app, you can now change days to discharge but the default is supposed to be 5 days.

Only turning it on resets the clock.
I believe you have it wrong. About 6 weeks ago, my 3 Mavic2 batteries were fully charged. Every 6 or 7 days since then, simply pushing the button confirms they are at full charge and remain so until pressed again a week later.

It hasn't reset for me. Others have confirmed. I have a class every two weeks (14 days) where I charge before and after class. Before because of auto discharging. Checked SoC a week later from a class. Day before class, needs charge. If checking SoC would reset, charge would not be needed.

However the M1 does reset as others confirmed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard