DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware update warning

TedShred

Reactions
I'm on an extended road trip and I get the firmware update alert. That the controller and M2P may have versions that don't match, or words to that affect.
I've been flying and ignoring it with no problems so far.
Am I at risk?
I really didn't want to attempt updates with cell reception that comes and goes.

I'm on an extended road trip and I get the firmware update alert. That the controller and M2P may have versions that don't match, or words to that affect.
I've been flying and ignoring it with no problems so far.
Am I at risk?
I really didn't want to attempt updates with cell reception that comes and goes.
I believe you pretty much answered your own question.
If you have been flying without issue, then wait until you have a chance to get a solid cell or WiFi connection to update.
Why risk causing a possible bad update and ruin your road trip?
Many have flown with mismatched FW on controller and aircraft without issues.
Happy flying.

I believe you pretty much answered your own question.
If you have been flying without issue, then wait until you have a chance to get a solid cell or WiFi connection to update.
Why risk causing a possible bad update and ruin your road trip?
Many have flown with mismatched FW on controller and aircraft without issues.
Happy flying.
That's what I was thinking but just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Reactions: Drone Master
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I NEVER update anything unless there is a reason to do so. I ran three software companies, many years ago. Back then, we didn't update until we'd done a ton of testing, and updates only happened every eighteen months or so. These days, software gets updated almost every week, with virtually no testing. Lots of things break or they don't work the same way anymore.

Very few updates (percentagewise) add any new feature, and of the new features, a large percentage are probably things you don't care about.

So, my advice is to look at the "readme" file for the update and if all it says is "bug fixes" and if you haven't been running into any bugs, then don't do the update.

I am writing this on a 12-year-old computer that is running Windows XP which I never updated. I never have any problems. I have ten other computers, and none of them has been updated either.

Last edited:
I'm with Johnmeyer, Never update unless there is a need, end of story............Thumbswayup

My Mavic pro locked on me recently until I updated, i try to avoid updating but the phone must have contacted DJI when I was connected to wi-fi in my hotel room because I have no sim in that device, travelled 2 hours to a beach location and it would not let me take off, "LOCKED" on the display well I had no way to update because there is no sim in the device and certainly no Wi-Fi on the secluded beach I had travelled to. it said drone would be unlocked after update but it took me 2 days after updating to finally get it to unlock!!

How can DJI possibly control a Craft I have paid for and own and FORCE me to update the firmware...

Reactions: Drgnfli
My Mavic pro locked on me recently until I updated, i try to avoid updating but the phone must have contacted DJI when I was connected to wi-fi in my hotel room because I have no sim in that device, travelled 2 hours to a beach location and it would not let me take off, "LOCKED" on the display well I had no way to update because there is no sim in the device and certainly no Wi-Fi on the secluded beach I had travelled to. it said drone would be unlocked after update but it took me 2 days after updating to finally get it to unlock!!

How can DJI possibly control a Craft I have paid for and own and FORCE me to update the firmware...
You do not have to have a sim in your device to access a WiFi internet connection.
If you connect to the internet and run the go4 app, DJI’s servers will pick up on your current FW version and notify you of a update. It may have been a forced update do to your location at the time of internet connection and a NFZ.
I am running very old FW 0.0400 and never run the app while connected to WiFi just for this reason.

Has anyone had this message pop up every now and then when you purposely go and check and there are no updates?

You do not have to have a sim in your device to access a WiFi internet connection.
If you connect to the internet and run the go4 app, DJI’s servers will pick up on your current FW version and notify you of a update. It may have been a forced update do to your location at the time of internet connection and a NFZ.
I am running very old FW 0.0400 and never run the app while connected to WiFi just for this reason.
I was on a beach in the middle of nowhere so no WI-FI and I had no reason to "run" the app in my hotel I was using it only to watch Netflix I never touched the Go4 app? it just left me at a beautiful location minus my Drone!!, need o hack it now to ensure no more FORCED updates

I was on a beach in the middle of nowhere so no WI-FI and I had no reason to "run" the app in my hotel I was using it only to watch Netflix I never touched the Go4 app? it just left me at a beautiful location minus my Drone!!, need o hack it now to ensure no more FORCED updates
Well, something with the Go4 app must have connected at sometime. Just saying.
Btw, you do have auto updates turned off on your device don’t you?
If not, then maybe that’s what happend while watching your Netflix.

Last edited:
Yep that's the odd thing all my devices have auto updates turned off not just for GO 4 app All my apps, I like to decide when and if to update

I'm with Johnmeyer, Never update unless there is a need, end of story............

Someone please tell this to Microsoft....
Microsoft sells Banasoftware: It is harvested to early, cooled down and shipped, sold and then it ripens as it is with the customer. Including all the bugs.

Dont know do anyone need this but i put a link here so someone might find help from that to unlock drone:

The massive Wannacry ransomware disaster was only made possible by people who didn't update...

That virus was on Microsoft operating systems, not on phones or tablet OSs. I've only had DJI imposed problems by updating their FW & software...:rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123