DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware update

wishthreetimes

Reactions
I recently took my mavic for a spin [ only 4 hrs flying time so far ] ...as I lifted off the ground 4 feet the control advised that a firmware up date was due and the drone auto landed .... Ok so I update... this took 30 mins and then all control registered OK except low satellite connection .... I again launch to 4 feet as usual but the drone took off side ways from the ground with no control to stop evident [ let the controls go ] so i powered down to land ....this it did at speed and crashed ... fortunately the drone flipped on its back and prevented camera damage.

On reflection I wonder if the commands I made previous to the upload were stored and re instigated when I re launched .... if so I think a power down is a must to re boot after update has been achieved

if this is the case then a reminder would be good after after install or have I got this wrong ?

Reactions: mblumewi
I recently took my mavic for a spin [ only 4 hrs flying time so far ] ...as I lifted off the ground 4 feet the control advised that a firmware up date was due and the drone auto landed .... Ok so I update... this took 30 mins and then all control registered OK except low satellite connection .... I again launch to 4 feet as usual but the drone took off side ways from the ground with no control to stop evident [ let the controls go ] so i powered down to land ....this it did at speed and crashed ... fortunately the drone flipped on its back and prevented camera damage.

On reflection I wonder if the commands I made previous to the upload were stored and re instigated when I re launched .... if so I think a power down is a must to re boot after update has been achieved

if this is the case then a reminder would be good after after install or have I got this wrong ?
I am still run 0200. firmware version and app although mentioning that new ver is available , letting me fly with older version i am using

Reactions: famy mavic
I do not understand why people think that items that have a firmware update do not have to be recalibrated. When you update your computer many times you need to reboot it. This is the same with a drone. The cost of a short cut is an uncontrollable drone.

I do not understand why people think that items that have a firmware update do not have to be recalibrated. When you update your computer many times you need to reboot it. This is the same with a drone. The cost of a short cut is an uncontrollable drone.

wait, what?
How is rebooting a computer after update the same as calibration of sensors and location devices of a drone?
I would state that identical action to restart could after update would be restart your mavic after update?
Being constantly calibrating the imu will end up in trouble and is waste of time unless you've had a crash or of some reason the the app calculates malfunction of it and demands calibration.

I've never calibrated the imu of my (new) mavic. And only did once the 8 months I had and used phantom.

wait, what?
How is rebooting a computer after update the same as calibration of sensors and location devices of a drone?
I would state that identical action to restart could after update would be restart your mavic after update?
Being constantly calibrating the imu will end up in trouble and is waste of time unless you've had a crash or of some reason the the app calculates malfunction of it and demands calibration.

I've never calibrated the imu of my (new) mavic. And only did once the 8 months I had and used phantom.

Yes, but I think one part of this might be in play... Did you power down both the Mavic and the controller completely after the update? Reboot?

Yes, but I think one part of this might be in play... Did you power down both the Mavic and the controller completely after the update? Reboot?

Yes I did, without any problems on the upgrade. doesn't the upgrade process ask you to do so? I can't recall it for sure , but i thing so.

Yes I did, without any problems on the upgrade. doesn't the upgrade process ask you to do so? I can't recall it for sure , but i thing so.

You may be right, I dont recall either. Just wanted to ask in the name of thorough troubleshooting.

What people forget about drones is they are a flying computer. After an update anything can be out of sync the same with your settings.
We don't do updates every day so there should not be a worry about too much resetting and syncing.
You really have 3 different computers that when operating properly allow you to properly operate your Mavic. There seems to be more problems with Android products then IOS products.

What people forget about drones is they are a flying computer. After an update anything can be out of sync the same with your settings.
We don't do updates every day so there should not be a worry about too much resetting and syncing.
You really have 3 different computers that when operating properly allow you to properly operate your Mavic. There seems to be more problems with Android products then IOS products.

Your comment about “flying computer” is exactly the phrase I said to myself after I almost sliced my ring finger off trying to grab her because I’m a moron. I left the blood spray on my rear wing as a reminder of that undeniable fact. Helps me remember to “follow the rules”.

Reactions: WAXMAN

I don't see how Android/IOS makes ay difference what happens after a DJI Firmware update.
A few things reset, notably RTH height and any changes you made to gains etc.
These settings are stored in the Mavic not the app.
When you reboot it's wise to look at the sensor checking page in the app.
If IMU and Compass looks normal and in green it probably is normal and no need to do IMU or compass for the sake of it.

Going back to original post there wouldn't be any requirement to immediately do the firmware update waiting in a field. You can postpone to a convenient time later with solid wifi connection, or postpone for days/weeks if you like.

Reactions: GBDW
do we need to update the batteries firmware as well? how to do it?
Sometimes you need to update the batteries firmware. From what I have seen it is done automatically when you start your Mavic.
As far as putting off updates sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I have seen it both ways.
I am one of those people that believes in safety first.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS calibrate IMU, compass and transmitter along with a firmware update if needed after purchasing these machines. They willhavehad all sorts of interference in transit so it's honestly best to do these things before you fly.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS calibrate IMU, compass and transmitter along with a firmware update if needed after purchasing these machines. They willhavehad all sorts of interference in transit so it's honestly best to do these things before you fly.

NO!

Reactions: halley
Your comment about “flying computer” is exactly the phrase I said to myself after I almost sliced my ring finger off trying to grab her because I’m a moron. I left the blood spray on my rear wing as a reminder of that undeniable fact. Helps me remember to “follow the rules”.

Lots of folks hand launch and retrieve their Mavic. You had a bad experience as many folks have. Live and learn. I either use a 2' foot square piece of 1/2" plywood or the folding fabric disk to launch mine. I value my pinkies.
Live and learn.

You may be right, I dont recall either. Just wanted to ask in the name of thorough troubleshooting.
It does state to reboot the drone and rc.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: boone
Sometimes you need to update the batteries firmware. From what I have seen it is done automatically when you start your Mavic.
As far as putting off updates sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I have seen it both ways.
I am one of those people that believes in safety first.
if you have 3 batteries than after complete updating mavic with 1 battery, you change other battery than update again?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18