DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.00.0300

Am I correct in saying I need to do an IMU and compass calibration after upgrading the firmware?

The update may reset various main controller settings, such as the RTH altitude and the maximum flight distance to default settings. Before updating, take note of your preferred DJI Fly settings, and readjust them after the update.

Well, if you try to update through the 3 dot menu under about, the app thinks 0.0200 is current.
So I updated through the Assistant.
However, if you go into the profile and try to update in the settings there, I think that will work because it saw that my controller needed updating.

Here is where it got scary, controller got to 90% and stopped.
After 10 minutes I did what we are not supposed to do...shut off the controller.
I rebooted the controller and the aircraft and fortunately, it connected and recognized.

No, I recommend full calibration out of the box with my review.
My MM out of the box would YAW without input and the gimbal would not hold the horizon.
Therefore, I would recommend full calibration after firmware updates.

Reactions: Joe Z and scooot
I have never and would never recalibrate unless promoted by the app.I have had hundreds of faultless flights with my my Mavic Pro and now in to double figures with the MM and i have no issues.
I calibrated my first drone (phantom standard ) when I Probably didn’t need to and it had to go back to DJI as it totally screwed it up.
Each to there own but unnecessary calibration is not for me

just did the latest firmware update ,used the app like i always do no issues, when it connected it told me there was an update and it listed what the update was addressing, as far as caibration i was prompted to calibrate the compass the first time it flew and thats all, i never do compass or IMU unless prompted by the app

But it still should only be done if the the app prompts it.
Not saying you must NOT calibrate just it’s not set out in stone
Actually you are somehow both right.

GerdS as he is referencing the user manual where it's written for all to see on Page 44

"Calibrating the CompassIt is recommended that the compass is calibrated in any of the following situations when flying outdoors:
1. Flying at a location further than 31 miles (50 km) away from the location the drone was last flown.
2. The aircraft has not been flown for more than 30 days.
3. A compass interference warning appears in DJI Fly and/or the aircraft status indicator blinks red and yellow alternatively. "

According to 1. we are more than 50 km away from the factory in Shenzen.. so it is recommended.

But you are also right scooot, why do it, if there is no prompt and you do not have any error? I did not calibrate mine when I flew it and it just worked.
Were we lucky? Probably yes, no one knows for sure. I've re-calibrated it after and I can't see any difference, but I'd like to ensure that I do not have any potential issues waiting to silently happen.

Like someone said.. each to their own. I wish you all smooth flights with no incidents.

I told so often here before, but I'll repeat me again:

The app cannot find out on ground if the compass is calibrated correctly or not. It can only check the values returned by the three magnetometers (X, Y, Z) to be within a valid range or if at least one of them is outside because it was influenced by a strong magnetic field before. The app also does a plausibility check based on the drone's actual orientation in space, based on the accelerometer values.
As the strength and orientation of the earth magnetic field is different in Shenzen to other locations all around the world (in fact it can vary significantly even in short distances of maybe 50 miles) the calculated heading may be different to the drone's real heading. If the difference is within a tolerable range the drone will still fly, but may not fly straight forward or swim around the hovering point, at least in low-light conditions when the optical ground sensors will no longer stabilise position.
If the difference is bigger than the tolerable range the drone will perform the so called "toilet bowl effect" (remember, without optical sensor stabilisation) and finally a flyaway can happen.

So what happens there? The drone drifts a bit and the GPS data tell the flight controller that it should correct a bit e.g. with flying southwards. The FC "knows" from the heading derived form the magnetometers that its nose is actually pointing e.g. in east direction, so it will initiate a roll to right to move sideways in south direction. Now imagine, that heading is wrong and in realty the drone would point in north direction. The roll to right then moves it to east instead of south. The FC tries to correct by increasing power and roll and it gets even worse. The FC looses orientation in space and the drone does a flyaway.

With actual DJI drones the FC will detect the flyaway, pull the emergency brake and fall into Atti mode. Then it's up to the pilot's skills to save it.

And finally imagine the long trip of your drone from Shenzhen to your location. A lot of things could have happend to it because you don't know what was transported next to it. Maybe there was a package of super magnets or the main power cabling of the airplane. Such influence can magnetise material within your drone or even the sensor. And this adds on top of the earth field difference between Shenzhen and your location.

I hope everybody now understands why a new drone should ALWAYS get a compass calibration before first takeoff.
Maybe it's not neccessary because your local magnetic environment is similar to Shenzhen and there was no influence during transport, but do you really know that? So be on the safe side!

Last edited:
I have never and would never recalibrate unless promoted by the app.I have had hundreds of faultless flights with my my Mavic Pro and now in to double figures with the MM and i have no issues.
I calibrated my first drone (phantom standard ) when I Probably didn’t need to and it had to go back to DJI as it totally screwed it up.
Each to there own but unnecessary calibration is not for me

Well, I am recommending it for the Mavic Mini because mine was not right until I did.
Just think about it...how whacked can it get in shipping being thrown around?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe