DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First charge — I guess I screwed up

Kyle76

Reactions
So, I got my new MA2 today and started charging the batteries. I put all three into the charging hub and the first one got a full charge before I saw a couple of YouTube vids saying the batteries should be charged separately the first time. I immediately took the batteries off the hub and plugged the second battery in separately. I hope this is no big deal.

I think if they charged fully, and work in the MA2, you're probably fine. You'll be upgrading the battery firmware one battery at time once you register it and get prompted for and install the latest MA2's firmware update from the Fly App

Reactions: RobertR
I would disagree with the Youtube video. The Charging Hub is a sequential charger, which means it charges one battery at a time. The sequence is determined according to the remaining power level, with more fully-charged batteries receiving power first. Let the batteries reach room temperature before you charge them.
These batteries are Lithium Ion. They will not obtain a memory and do not have to be discharged before charging like older battery technologies.

I would disagree with the Youtube video. The Charging Hub is a sequential charger, which means it charges one battery at a time. The sequence is determined according to the remaining power level, with more fully-charged batteries receiving power first. Let the batteries reach room temperature before you charge them.
These batteries are Lithium Ion. They will not obtain a memory and do not have to be discharged before charging like older battery technologies.

You can disagree if you wish, it is/was a well known fact they had a glitch in a firmware they have since corrected. It only happened on the initial first charge using the hub. IF you charged the batteries independent, then used the hub it didn't rear it's evil head, if not you could get bricked batteries.

You can disagree if you wish, it is/was a well known fact they had a glitch in a firmware they have since corrected. It only happened on the initial first charge using the hub. IF you charged the batteries independent, then used the hub it didn't rear it's evil head, if not you could get bricked batteries.

Thank You, Learn something new erveryday

Reactions: hiflyer201
So, under new firmware this is not an issue?
Chances are when you get a new MA2 the batteries will not have the latest firmware, to avoid the problem. Just charge them one at a time, with the charger, without the charging plate when you open a new one.

Why take the risk, for the sake of a few Extra battery to charger swaps, you know you’re not going to cause any problems. Once you’ve done the initial single battery charges, the hub will work correctly

I thought a battery flashing like the video meant charge level 75-88%. Of course a newly charged battery should show full charge.

The batteries are shipped in a "sleep mode" and werent able to be activated the 1st time if people used the hub...not sure if this has been fixed in later updates but best to charge for the first time with the individual charger, then power up in the drone and check for battery updates. The "smarts" in the batteries get occasional firmware updates just like the aircraft

Reactions: pelagic_one
For the record, I wasn’t trying to chance anything. I’m coming from a Mavic Mini and had no idea there was an issue using the hub for the first charge.

For the record, I wasn’t trying to chance anything. I’m coming from a Mavic Mini and had no idea there was an issue using the hub for the first charge.
Unless DJI put something in the box tell you about the issue, there wasn’t a good way to know. Even many setup videos on YT didn’t mention it. (Some did) It was in the DJI forum’s as a sticky post. As long as all your batteries charge and work , your fine, otherwise DJI will have to replace them.

Just adding that I did all three on the bank and didn’t get an issue. Wasn’t aware of the issue.

sounds like the problem might’ve been sorted for all the models being sold at their moment. I’d imagine DJI would have prioritised that as a fix. Hopefullythat workaround is relegated to the history books. FYI my drone manufactured April 2020

Reactions: DroneGnome
What issues might have been experienced from not charging batteries individually the first time? I also was not aware of that concern till I came across this thread. I charged the 3 batteries I got with my MA2 all together and don’t appear to be having any issues. Unless... I have only seen the battery firmware update come up once while connected to the controller since I’ve had it, and not for all the batteries. Only one. Could that be one of the issues associated with the initial charging concern?

A very small
What issues might have been experienced from not charging batteries individually the first time? I also was not aware of that concern till I came across this thread. I charged the 3 batteries I got with my MA2 all together and don’t appear to be having any issues. Unless... I have only seen the battery firmware update come up once while connected to the controller since I’ve had it, and not for all the batteries. Only one. Could that be one of the issues associated with the initial charging concern?

A very small number of people have had a battery "bricked" by charging with the hub for the first time. DJI has published a recovery effort for those batteries, but it seems it didn't always work. If the battery turn on in the drone, you have no issues and can continue to charge with the hub as you wish. Many people have charged with the hub the first time with no issue, but on rare occasion it caused problem. Hopefully the new batteries are shipping with newer firmware and this doesn't matter anymore.

Reactions: DroneGnome
I immediately slapped all three on the charger and went about my day. I have since used all three, was never prompted for a battery firmware update, and all three batteries work great. I am guessing newly shipped fly more kits have the fix integrated already.

I did get a prompt to update the aircraft to the 8/10 firmware, and that went without a hitch.

I love the Air 2. I got rid of my 2 Pro for the Air 2, and prefer the Air 2. I even think the video quality is better, given adequate light.

My only complaint is the lack of Smart Controller compatibility, and the delay in getting the functionality added. That is piss poor on DJI's part.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Not everyone experienced an issue, many people probably did as some posters here, tossed all the batteries on the DJI charging plate and had no issues....

However, some people did use the plate and wound up with bricked batteries, which led DJI to recommend, and they could do a better job of that by having vendors stick a note on the box to charge them individually the first time out of the box.

Eventually, when inventory starts shipping with the latest firmware already installed, it won't be an issue... but for the simple workaround now, who wants to futz around getting a replacement battery from DJI for a bricked battery if you didn't have to.

I’m charging my third battery now. I put all three on the pad initially and charged one completely before reading about this issue. I immediately removed all batteries from the pad and began to individually charge the second battery to 100%. Both the first and second appear to be fine, based on the charge indicator lights. I updated the aircraft firmware just now. I think everything is OK. My manufacturing date was 7/2020.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic