DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro batteries charging slow

Thanks. Just purchased this charger and will be returning the one I bought. Interestingly the description of the one I bought says it is PD compliant. But it appears that the cord they provided actually may have been the weak link.

Sorry to come late to the party, but I'd strongly advise going to Amazon now ordering one of these while the deal is still on, save some money and charge your batteries way, way faster. Return the other one, save half.

The Mini 4 batteries charging in the hub pull around 65W. You can fully charge a battery in less than an hour.

Screenshot_20231028_164943_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The advertised output power is ALWAYS the total for ALL ports.
How this power is devided amongst the ports must be described in the specifications.

True.

However IMO it's a mistake to, for example, buy a multiport charger with a total 100W but can't deliver 100W on any single port use.

The cheaper ones have a fixed split of the power across multiple ports. For most use, they really just are a charger at the highest port output, not the advertised power capability of the charger.

Better to buy one that can dynamically allocate power depending on which combination of ports are used.

Thanks. Finally figured this out after purchasing the charger that tribar recommended above. The Amazon description of that charger actually spells out the available power depending on the combination of outlets used. When using only both of the C ports each gets 30W. That changes to 30W and 18W when you also use the A port.

True.

However IMO it's a mistake to, for example, buy a multiport charger with a total 100W but can't deliver 100W on any single port use.

The cheaper ones have a fixed split of the power across multiple ports. For most use, they really just are a charger at the highest port output, not the advertised power capability of the charger.

Better to buy one that can dynamically allocate power depending on which combination of ports are used.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpeg
    IMG_2405.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks but I already bought the one that tribar mentioned and the two C ports provide 30W each when just using those two ports. That is perfect for my use case.

Sorry to come late to the party, but I'd strongly advise going to Amazon now ordering one of these while the deal is still on, save some money and charge your batteries way, way faster. Return the other one, save half.

The Mini 4 batteries charging in the hub pull around 65W. You can fully charge a battery in less than an hour.

View attachment 169648

The charger you bought is not Power Delivery (PD) compliant.

It's CFast or QC (Quick Charge) compliant only.
Yes, it's compatible with DJI equipment, infact it's compatible with any equipment but can only output full 30W to equipment with QC specifications.

DJI battery Hubs with USB-C port need a charger equiped with PD (Power Delevery) specifications. (It's clearly stated in the user manual).

It has nothing to do with the cable you use.
I can attest to that! Invest in a good set of charger and cable so the your drone is ready to go in the morning when traveling.

Thanks. Finally figured this out after purchasing the charger that tribar recommended above. The Amazon description of that charger actually spells out the available power depending on the combination of outlets used. When using only both of the C ports each gets 30W. That changes to 30W and 18W when you also use the A port.
Be sure it is certified PD output.

will using a 60W charger affect the battery health? I plugged mine into a fast charger I have and they charge quickly, I just don't want to damage my batteries using this charger. The lights flash significantly faster as well!!
I think I am right in saying that no DJI device wants or needs more than 30 watts up it, and in fact won't take any more than that, regardless of how much the charger can output. So I would bet your lights will be flashing at the 30watt charge speed.

I think I am right in saying that no DJI device wants or needs more than 30 watts up it, and in fact won't take any more than that
This is not correct and just an assumption.

According to the specs of, for instance, the Mavic Air 3 62.6Wh battery, it can charge in approx. 60 minutes.
It can't do that with a maximum of 30W.

DJI batteries are called smart batteries for a reason.
Each battery contains it's own BMS (Battery Management System) that takes care of, among other, charging the battery.
This BMS will limit the charging power to a preprogrammed value specific for the battery, regardles the maximum output power of the charger.

For a Mini 3/4 battery it's 36W peak using the charging hub.
For an Air 3 battery it's 100W peak using the charging hub.
This peak will be lower when charging in the drone.

Well, here's a screenshot from the official DJI M4P manual...
That's specific for the Mini 4 Pro an NOT any DJI device as you wrote.

I have a charger and several charging cables equiped with a digital charging power display.
They all show a peak of 36W about half way charging a Mini 3 and Mini 4 battery in the charging hub.

Also according the specs of the Mini 4 Pro, it takes 78 minutes to charges a 18.1Wh battery. Meaning the average charging power is 0.9*18.1/60*78=21W at 100% efficency (the charging times given in the manual apply to charging from 10% to 100%)

That's NOT correct.
They pull 36W at it's maximum, starting and ending much lower, averaging at about 20W.
The Mini 4 batteries are available with a capacity of 18.1Wh (standard) & 24.8Wh (extended).

Correct, I was mistakenly looking at my Hanatora 2 battery parallel charger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrispmooney