DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash

I took a look at some of the other .DATs from the tablet. There were 3 or 4 from the Spark that didn't have any useful data because a flight didn't occur. From the Mavic flights there was on additional flight - FLY033.DAT. It exhibited some of the same behavior as the incident flight, i.e. magYaw and Yaw would separate.after rotating.
View attachment 27115

When you get your Mavic back maybe we can do some experiments with the LOC8TOR.
1) calibrate the Mavic
2) do a "fake" flight where the Mavic is rotated 2 or 3 times by hand - don't start the motors and fly
3) attach the LOC8TOR
4) another fake flight
5) calibrate
6) another fake flight
Hi BudWalker, thanks for that info, I have been trying to collate the data files and can't locate the flight that refers to, I'll keep trying.
These files seem to be very hard to find going by dates and times.
I look forward to these experiments when I get my drone back.
I don't expect it for a couple of weeks as DJI have not received it yet, It has been in the post for 1 week.
Maybe DJI will have some information after analyzing the DAT files in the Mavic.

Hi BudWalker, thanks for that info, I have been trying to collate the data files and can't locate the flight that refers to, I'll keep trying.
These files seem to be very hard to find going by dates and times.
I look forward to these experiments when I get my drone back.
I don't expect it for a couple of weeks as DJI have not received it yet, It has been in the post for 1 week.
Maybe DJI will have some information after analyzing the DAT files in the Mavic.
The tablet .DATs get split (seemingly at random) so you have to stitch them back together. FLY033.DAT was obtained by concatenating 17-12-05-02-15-55_FLY033.DAT and 17-12-05-02-16-07_FLY033.DAT. I've attached it here as a .zip

Attachments

• FLY033.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
After searching through a maze of files I found the footage of the crash.
I'm really surprised this survived as the battery fell from the drone on impact.

I noticed that it seemed uncontrollable and drifted a lot even though there was little wind.
I also noticed that the horizon is off kilter.

Last edited:
After searching through a maze of files I found the footage of the crash.
I'm really surprised this survived as the battery fell from the drone on impact.

I noticed that it seemed uncontrollable and drifted a lot even though there was little wind.
I also noticed that the horizon is off kilter.
No video to play.

Y’all, don’t bother too much splitting hairs with various theories. I think it’s just a bug in MP or random sensor errors (solar flares, RF interferences, etc.)

In my 300+ flights on my MP, I have had two incidents like the one described here. Both normal, strong GPS, then a sudden what the hell is going on mess...but no crash and thankful to tell the stories.

What’s the lesson learned? Even military drones go AWOL. Don’t get too hung up on a $1,000 drone. It will fail...

Reactions: davemorts
Thanks for your reply Cutaway, I hope it is just a random sensor error and doesn't happen too often.

Very interesting to read about these problems. Can I throw in my un-scientific thoughts. How about radio interference. The ether must be full of radio frequencies, Taxi radios, electric motors, CB radios, wifi, even lightning.
OK they should all be kept well apart, but I'm old enough to remember Citizan Band radios interfering with Radio controlled planes. Is it possible the Mavic could be susceptible?

Very interesting to read about these problems. Can I throw in my un-scientific thoughts. How about radio interference. The ether must be full of radio frequencies, Taxi radios, electric motors, CB radios, wifi, even lightning.
OK they should all be kept well apart, but I'm old enough to remember Citizan Band radios interfering with Radio controlled planes. Is it possible the Mavic could be susceptible?

Hi Rockewtramo, I'm not expert enough yet to know what caused this problem though I do think it has something to do with the locating device I fitted to the rear of the mavic adjacent to the rear compass.
Before fitting device I had a flight of 7 mins 30 secs, a distance of 3924 feet which had 12 tips and 15 warnings.
After fitting the device, the fight in question was 2 minutes long, distance of 447 feet with 2 tips and 346 warnings.
I believe this device works on radio frequencies.

Hi Rockewtramo, I'm not expert enough yet to know what caused this problem though I do think it has something to do with the locating device I fitted to the rear of the mavic adjacent to the rear compass.
Before fitting device I had a flight of 7 mins 30 secs, a distance of 3924 feet which had 12 tips and 15 warnings.
After fitting the device, the fight in question was 2 minutes long, distance of 447 feet with 2 tips and 346 warnings.
I believe this device works on radio frequencies.
What device was that? The loc8tor? I guess one should always calibrate again after fitting the device

What device was that? The loc8tor? I guess one should always calibrate again after fitting the device
Yes it was the locator, I learn by mistakes.
I will be more careful when I get it back. Do some experiments with/without loc8tor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661