Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

First crash!

andydownunder

Reaction score
I am so careful but today I had my first crash with my Mavic Pro! I was using a quick shot mode (dronie) and failed to allow for enough reverse distance. I hit the gutter in my house and it crashed to the pavement! Flys ok but gimbal mount beoke I have the refresh warranty. Does that cover something like that? Feeling really stupid and disappointed in myself!

Irish-apple

Reaction score
I am so careful but today I had my first crash with my Mavic Pro! I was using a quick shot mode (dronie) and failed to allow for enough reverse distance. I hit the gutter in my house and it crashed to the pavement! Flys ok but gimbal mount beoke I have the refresh warranty. Does that cover something like that? Feeling really stupid and disappointed in myself!
Covers everything pal except loss

Lake_Flyer

Reaction score
Most crashes occur during automated modes. I never used anymore them after testing all of them out thoroughly. Don't rely on active track, quick shot, auto take off and landing, landing protection, precision landing, RTH, need I go on?
The only time I ever crashed in 6 years of droning was while trying out active track with the MP. It crashed into the subject it was supposed to follow. DJI gave me a brand new one under warranty but refused to answer my questions why it happened.

The only thing I trust enough besides my own pilot skills is waypoints flying with AutoPilot or GroundStation Pro.

Lucky you have refresh!

macoman

Reaction score
I never use any automated features in my Mavic pro. The only automatic feature that I rarely use is the circle an object, not sure the specific name of it.

Lake_Flyer

Reaction score
I never use any automated features in my Mavic pro. The only automatic feature that I rarely use is the circle an object, not sure the specific name of it.
POI is very useful I agree. But that's more a basic waypoint kind of mode. It's also available for the I1. You can't beat the perfect circle it makes by controlling yourself. I always fly the circle myself first to check it out. Then, for smoothness, I put it in POI mode. Safe enough as long as you know how to use it and what risks might be involved. It's easy to pause or quit instantly.

JDawg

Reaction score
Is Refresh a one shot deal? If so you may not want to waste it on this and instead contact Thunderdrones.

Reactions: charliesRig

charliesRig

Reaction score
I would have if you didn't make a post about it....DOAH.!
no worries It will but like another memeber said Prolly want to save it for the "Big One"
.............cR

Flynz

Reaction score
My first crash today too.

Came low to get a cool video approaching a large tree lit by the sun. Backed up to get a slow run in and passed behind a tree. Turned out to be larger than I thought and I backed into the tip of the tree is was passing. My new Mavic Pro got trapped in the leaves 4m off the ground. The tree was down a steep grassy bank. And I was on crutches with a leg in plaster. I scrambled down the bank, but could not climb.
A passer by came down the bank, climbed the tree and shook the branch for me. The Mavic fell into soft grass on a steep bank.
No damage apart from chips in a prop. Flies like a charm with a new prop. Phew! lesson learned. Fly forwards into a set up position!!

Reactions: macoman

andydownunder

Reaction score
Is Refresh a one shot deal? If so you may not want to waste it on this and instead contact Thunderdrones.
Nah. You get 2 gos. My refresh expires in December and this will be first claim. I’m in Australia so it will cost maximum $139 to correct the issue or replace the drone. Second time will cost $199. I recon after that you deserve to pay full replacement cost if you haven’t given up flying!

Reactions: mad monkey

andydownunder

Reaction score
Went through refresh warranty. Must say very happy with process and communication! Was provided a quote to repair or option of using refresh. Repair was about $320 AUD. Warranty expires December so opted for new unit. It’s on the way! Still have one more life under my belt