DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First criminal prosecution under a drone registration law

Is drone registration required to own the UAV or to fly it?

Would any of this be proceeding had this fool had no illicit substances in the vehicle?

It might be reasonably assumed that operation of an unregistered UAV might attract a fine only and it would be nothing like the figure quoted in the article.

Is drone registration required to own the UAV or to fly it?

Would any of this be proceeding had this fool had no illicit substances in the vehicle?

It might be reasonably assumed that operation of an unregistered UAV might attract a fine only and it would be nothing like the figure quoted in the article.

Registration is required just to fly it in the national airspace. (in theory if you had an enclosed warehouse, you could fly all you want indoors with no registration or other FAA regulation). It's possible that when they seized the drone, they were able to get flight records off it showing previous flights without being registered though?

Sounds like they didn't understand the registration laws or where stacking up charges to see what sticks. He would need to admit to previous flights w/this unregistered drone because flight data doesn't prove who was on the controls.

Sounds like they didn't understand the registration laws or where stacking up charges to see what sticks. He would need to admit to previous flights w/this unregistered drone because flight data doesn't prove who was on the controls.

agreed.

I misunderstood the title. The drone registration was not _used_ to locate a person who used a drone illegally, as is the reason the FAA claimed was why it was created. They simply chose to charge him for using a drone while not registered. So the drone registration was not used as intended or for its purpose.

This appears to be a case of bad reporting. Here is a quote from another article:

A DeKalb County man has admitted he tried to use a drone to drop marijuana into a prison, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Middle District of Georgia said Thursday.

U.S. Attorney Charles Peeler said Eric Lee Brown, 35, of Lithonia pleaded guilty to one count. But the count is a mouthful — operating an aircraft eligible for registration knowing that the aircraft is not registered to facilitate a controlled substance offense.

The articles mention him being pleading guilty to using a drone when he was not registered but mentions _nothing_ about the multiple other criminal offenses he'd be guilty of (trying to enter drugs into a prison, being in possession of those drugs, etc.). Odd.

But again the registration was not used as it was intended, to match the person to an illegal flight. They found the drone in his car.

We still have the drone registration never being used as it was intended and after how many years, this is the first and only case where a citation has ever even been issued for an unregistered flier. It certainly shows the huge need for the registration. One citation in five years and never been used for its purpose.

Lastly, he used a DJI product to fly over a prison. Perhaps he failed because the DJI Go app should not allow that to happen.

Edit:
A quote from another article:

"The use of drones is regulated by federal criminal statutes, and our office will not hesitate to use those statutes in the fight against prison contraband,” Peeler said. “I applaud the Department of Transportation, the Georgia Department of Corrections, and our local law enforcement for thinking creatively to bring this defendant to justice.

They had to think creatively (by charging him with no drone registration) to bring him to justice? After finding bags of pot in his car next to a drone and conversation with people as how to drop those drugs into a prison and him stopping traffic near the prison? With this.... let's see what we can possibly charge him with.... I know! No drone registration! Perhaps this is another case of really bad reporting and the news is simply overlooking mentioning a slew of other, more serious charges he's looking at. What is next.... person runs over 20 people, killing 4... charged with not renewing his car registration.

Last edited:
I received Airmap authorization to fly yesterday evening, but my controller showed I was in a NFZ. Furthermore, the DJI Geozones map still shows the old configuration of NFZs. What’s up with that?

I received Airmap authorization to fly yesterday evening, but my controller showed I was in a NFZ. Furthermore, the DJI Geozones map still shows the old configuration of NFZs. What’s up with that?

DJI's app doesn't know if you get LAANC authorization or not. There should have been a prompt with a checkbox in DJI Go 4 to confirm you are authorized to fly there. (sometimes you have to confirm via a SMS they text you)

You posted totally off topic and in the wrong section - that's what's up with that! :rolleyes:

Reactions: dawgpilot
Registration is required just to fly it in the national airspace. (in theory if you had an enclosed warehouse, you could fly all you want indoors with no registration or other FAA regulation). It's possible that when they seized the drone, they were able to get flight records off it showing previous flights without being registered though?
Agreed- that seems to be the position as I understood it when I raise the questions. Any thoughts as to whether there might be any action taken if illicit substances weren't involved?

Agreed- that seems to be the position as I understood it when I raise the questions. Any thoughts as to whether there might be any action taken if illicit substances weren't involved?
Two points.
1) In a recent thread here there was a news article where a police helicopter follow a drone to landing and caught the pilot... so no number is allowed ways needed... I bet the pilot was eventually cited also for no registration, or none displayed.
2) prisons are NFZs... so if the drone didn’t have pot the owner/ pilot would be cited for the flight.

Two points.
1) In a recent thread here there was a news article where a police helicopter follow a drone to landing and caught the pilot... so no number is allowed ways needed... I bet the pilot was eventually cited also for no registration, or none displayed.
2) prisons are NFZs... so if the drone didn’t have pot the owner/ pilot would be cited for the flight.
I suspect what we are considering here is a sloppy press release and slanted reporting. What seems to be evident is that the accused wasn’t apprehended in the act of flying the drone. It might be there is evidence of an earlier attempt to fly over the prison although to the extent there was that isn’t clear. It is hard to imagine under what circumstances it might be an offence to possess an unregistered sUAV or more specifically to simply own one of it isn’t demonstrated to be operated in the airspace. As has been the observation of others here it is difficult to appreciate how registration might be the headline issue here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov