DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone flight ever.. Check!! This is awesome!!!

IFR - Instrument Flight Rules
Definitions

nmi is a nautical mile.

Nothing is restricting you from flying to 1,604 feet, just be very careful. Your drone cannot get out of the way of a speeding aircraft.

I think any manned aircraft will quickly get the drone out of its way.. seriously though, 1,5lb fairly fragile drone vs. a full size prop - my money is on the prop.

I think any manned aircraft will quickly get the drone out of its way.. seriously though, 1,5lb fairly fragile drone vs. a full size prop - my money is on the prop.
Sounds logical, but in reality, you can lose a prop from a small nick in it. This is why part of a preflight you are looking at the prop to make sure it is safe. Small nicks must be filed down to prevent a weak point. Hitting a bird is dangerous. Hitting something with metal in it... I'd hate to think.

Also note the windshield is just plexiglass. A drone half the weight will penetrate into the cockpit and kill the pilot, especially in a high performance aircraft traveling maybe 180 MPH.

Prop failure points: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-37e.pdf
This would be bad:
Bird strike:

bird-strike.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it would be more of the "secondary" damage that would be the issue rather than maybe just a nick on the prop...

I figured it would be more of the "secondary" damage that would be the issue rather than maybe just a nick on the prop...
Lets just say, I am not willing to find out. Someone else can test for me, or hopefully not!

I just got my mavic too and have been happy being 200ft high - I figured that at that height, I wouldn't have to worry about crashing into trees and other obstacles, and could just enjoy the scenery. It was pretty nerve wracking the first couple of flights though!

If you are like me, you ALWAYS get a little nervous before EVERY flight. Just the thought that THIS TIME it just might be the time u experience a fly away. You need to think about what you will do in that event. What about if suddenly the app crashes on your phone/tablet? What about if the MP doesnt respond to your commands? What about flying over water?

Just scenarios u could possibly face in the future. Something to think about.

Reactions: Cbslagle
Lol, I was there within 3 hrs.
I think I broke the 400ft mark my very first battery. I have been over 1300 on a few occasions but not sure if I have done 1500. I actually have video from 2 days ago when I was level with an army chopper flying by. Good stuff!

If you are like me, you ALWAYS get a little nervous before EVERY flight. Just the thought that THIS TIME it just might be the time u experience a fly away. You need to think about what you will do in that event. What about if suddenly the app crashes on your phone/tablet? What about if the MP doesnt respond to your commands? What about flying over water?

Just scenarios u could possibly face in the future. Something to think about.
"What about if the MP doesnt respond to your commands?" Sorry, brand new pilot here and I've just GOT to ask: If the MP stops responding to my input, what is there I can possibly do about it?

Took my Mavic to my daughter's school / track thinking no one would be there.. Ended up being like 10 people walking.. Had to wait almost an hour for everyone to leave..

Man.. I'm glad I waited.. I have it in beginner mode but got to try some stuff out.. Got it up to 140' and that is NUTS!! How high do these safely go? I had it just directly above me with absolutely nothing around and I was nervous something was going to happen.. lol..

This is super fun and can't wait to fly again!!

Enjoy the moment and take your time.

Mine is en-route. Killing me. Can't wait to get my mavic, and prepare for take off..................ewwww!

"What about if the MP doesnt respond to your commands?" Sorry, brand new pilot here and I've just GOT to ask: If the MP stops responding to my input, what is there I can possibly do about it?

I guess it would depend upon the actual circumstances. Did u lose RC connection? Did u lose video feed?

Nice

Just take your time and push the limit slowly....you WILL run into a scenario where you'll panic. Just take it slow and move thru all the flight modes safely. I'm just a week in and already feeling comfortable, but know how easily it can get away from me.

Keep in touch!
No

The idea that the risk profile to manned AC goes from zero to infinite bajillion upon crossing the 400' AGL altitude is unhinged.

The risks are certainly much greater at 3000' AGL. Near non-existent at 400'. It doesn't get riskier in some sort of linear ramp between the two.

Flying at 800' AGL is, in reality, not much riskier of colliding with a manned aircraft than at 400'. Sure, there is a slightly greater risk, but then this can be somewhat mitigated by care and attention by the sUAV pilot. Regardless, there is greater risk -- how much, though, is the fertile ground for debate.

I have experience as a private pilot (small 2 and 4 seaters, VFR, got my ticket in the 80s), as an RC hobbiest (gliders, helis), and now an sUAV pilot. FWIW, I don't think the risk of collision between 400' and 1000' is much greater than below 400', as very few manned aircraft fly that low anywhere except around airfields, and flat open plains.

Again, this is not about whether manned aircraft CAN, or ever DO. It's about the practical reality of how often they ACTUALLY DO, and therefore what sort of risk there really is in going a bit higher than 400' with your Mavic. One of the reasons pilots stay above 1000-2000' AGL for most flying is, ironically, to avoid birds.

Nothing restricting you from flying to 1640. Depends on local rules. Not allowed above 400 feet / 120m in Australia.

Also not allowed autonomous flights either, so using things like Litchi to do a pre planned flight is technically not allowed.

Reactions: bdfree
Careful if you do that. If you do, do it away from any likely areas for aircraft and add a Flytron white strobe so it can be seen. If you take down and aircraft, your life as you know it is over.

I still have never gone beyond 400 feet.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

strobon-cree-standalone.jpg

I just added 3 of these to my Mavic and I have to say it seriously increases visibility incredibly at night... (not to mention it also makes it look even cooler). I put two under each of the rear legs and one under the body.. Since I will always be looking up at it... it will be much more visible at great distances and altitudes.

Reactions: Kmccb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview