DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone flight ever.. Check!! This is awesome!!!

Kmccb

Reactions
Took my Mavic to my daughter's school / track thinking no one would be there.. Ended up being like 10 people walking.. Had to wait almost an hour for everyone to leave..

Man.. I'm glad I waited.. I have it in beginner mode but got to try some stuff out.. Got it up to 140' and that is NUTS!! How high do these safely go? I had it just directly above me with absolutely nothing around and I was nervous something was going to happen.. lol..

This is super fun and can't wait to fly again!!

Just take your time and push the limit slowly....you WILL run into a scenario where you'll panic. Just take it slow and move thru all the flight modes safely. I'm just a week in and already feeling comfortable, but know how easily it can get away from me.

Keep in touch!

1500'!!! GTFOH!!!

When I was at 140' I totally felt like the wind or something could just kill it.. It wasn't even windy....

FAA strong recommendation is 400 feet AGL. Just keep that in mind. Also wind can be non existent at ground level and very high at higher altitudes. Its not uncommon to drift away and have to fight your way back as climbing to high altitudes.

Just some things to keep in mind. I came from a Phantom 3 and was at 400 feet AGL on my first Mavic flight. :)

Reactions: Scottso and Kmccb
So now that I think about it.. I think I was actually at 120 METERS which is actually the 400' limit by default I believe.. Bummer.. I thought this thing could go way higher (legally anyway)..

So freaking dumb they don't offer a toggle to go from meters to feet.. Would be so.freaking.simple..

So now that I think about it.. I think I was actually at 120 METERS which is actually the 400' limit by default I believe.. Bummer.. I thought this thing could go way higher (legally anyway)..

So freaking dumb they don't offer a toggle to go from meters to feet.. Would be so.freaking.simple..

They do.. settings in your app take care of that.

But... just maybe... you could join the rest of the world and keep it metric ;)

They do.. settings in your app take care of that.

But... just maybe... you could join the rest of the world and keep it metric ;)
LOL.. Yea I found it like 5 minutes after I posted this.. Thanks!

Good. I am not the only one going to 400 on flight 1.

Actual app limited height is 500 meters which is 1604 feet.

lol.. Nope.. Now I'm just wondering if I should take it to the ceiling!!
Careful if you do that. If you do, do it away from any likely areas for aircraft and add a Flytron white strobe so it can be seen. If you take down and aircraft, your life as you know it is over.

I still have never gone beyond 400 feet.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

strobon-cree-standalone.jpg

Reactions: MacIak
Lol, I was there within 3 hrs.
Seriously, I was at 400' and 2000' away within an hour of setting up my P4 back in December.

But then, that was the big attraction to me -- the remote, FPV capability, something I never ever had with helis.

Now? I'm all about the imaging.

Reactions: domination
Seriously, I was at 400' and 2000' away within an hour of setting up my P4 back in December.

But then, that was the big attraction to me -- the remote, FPV capability, something I never ever had with helis.

Now? I'm all about the imaging.
This. I came from small $400 heli's, with tail rotors and this drone creeps me out as I am not used to not having to fly something without total concentration.

Careful if you do that. If you do, do it away from any likely areas for aircraft and add a Flytron white strobe so it can be seen. If you take down and aircraft, your life as you know it is over.

I still have never gone beyond 400 feet.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

strobon-cree-standalone.jpg
Yea, I don't think I would ever risk it.. It's scary just flying that high.. Today I had it at 400' and far far far away (can't remember the distance.. just knew i had no idea where it was).. It was OK because it was just over some quarries and was pretty bad ***..

That strobe is nice..

Yea, I don't think I would ever risk it.. It's scary just flying that high.. Today I had it at 400' and far far far away (can't remember the distance.. just knew i had no idea where it was).. It was OK because it was just over some quarries and was pretty bad ***..

That strobe is nice..
Just note that aircraft are supposed to stay at 500 feet (unless in the booneys where the law changes to 500 feet from structures and people so they could be 10 feet off the ground out there), which is why the drone is at 400 feet. This gives a buffer zone. I have hand flown IFR for over 1000 nmi and while it is easy to drift 50 feet at times, I have never drifted 100 feet.

Just note that aircraft are supposed to stay at 500 feet (unless in the booneys where the law changes to 500 feet from structures and people so they could be 10 feet off the ground out there), which is why the drone is at 400 feet. This gives a buffer zone. I have hand flown IFR for over 1000 nmi and while it is easy to drift 50 feet at times, I have never drifted 100 feet.
Yesterday there was a plane DEFINITELY under the 500' mark.. I saw it and quickly started descending (I was at 400')... So yea, not everyone follows that rule either..

What is IFR and nmi?

IFR - Instrument Flight Rules
Definitions

nmi is a nautical mile.

Nothing is restricting you from flying to 1,604 feet, just be very careful. Your drone cannot get out of the way of a speeding aircraft.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tsvetan