DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First drone video ever on youtube! What do you guys think? How could it be better?

Slower panning both horizontal and vertically, the speeded up sections didn't do it for me it creates eye strain.
The flaming transition at 2.20 is out of place.

Personal taste, I like slower moving shots also. Something I recently started doing was to shoot at 60fps then slow the speed by half in editing. This helps to eliminate some jerky movements.

So, you could have 2 different videos of 3 minutes each. More YouTube post, followers, likes, views, etc.

New video on youtube. My very first drone video. Tell me your thoughts on it! I look forward to your opinions. Please don't withhold your negative thoughts!
Like and subscribe if you like it!
Thanks!

kendallwb1

I had to stop this video at 1:30. Way too fast. S-L-O-W it down! what was the rush? The opening scene was chaotic. Hardly enough time to take in what I was seeing. They you went into overdrive, with rapid panning, rapid yaws, ....my eyes hurt so much trying figure out what I was seeing, that I got dizzy. Your subject was beautiful. You need to cut down the length, and speed. Also, the color balance was a bit on the warm side.

Dale
Miami

Seems to me the fast pans are not as bad as the ramp up and slowdown at the beginning and end of your movements. Adjust the drone movement settings so the ramp up and slowdown of movements are smoother. Also, not sure what you're using to edit or what computer being used but the end result is jerky (like stop motion) and not very clear even though YouTube reports 1080. The content is excellent and your movements (around the tower) are well controlled. Just fix the drone movement and get the edit tools right. This make your shots look great.

Reactions: kendallwb1
Personal taste, I like slower moving shots also. Something I recently started doing was to shoot at 60fps then slow the speed by half in editing. This helps to eliminate some jerky movements.

So, you could have 2 different videos of 3 minutes each. More YouTube post, followers, likes, views, etc.
Unfortunately I cant record 4K in 60fps because its a mini 2. However, do you think I should record in 2.7k 60fps instead? Will the loss of quality be that noticeable? I shot all this in 4k 25 fps

Seems to me the fast pans are not as bad as the ramp up and slowdown at the beginning and end of your movements. Adjust the drone movement settings so the ramp up and slowdown of movements are smoother. Also, not sure what you're using to edit or what computer being used but the end result is jerky (like stop motion) and not very clear even though YouTube reports 1080. The content is excellent and your movements (around the tower) are well controlled. Just fix the drone movement and get the edit tools right. This make your shots look great.
If you watch it on a computer its 4K. Phones are only up to 1080p. Okay thanks for your advice! As for the editing I used premiere pro. Its not the software or computer as theyre both great. The jerky movement is I think just my non smoothness with the drone haha. Thanks for your response. Oh and yes could you tell me what your ramp up and slowdown settings are?

Last edited:
Any response for your settings? It would be greatly appreciated!

You did something I rather like - included some low level and ground based shots such as the girl at the end. If you are making a video about a place or subject, then including all sorts of material to tell the story help. Specifically stills, anything historical and especially views from ground based angles and action cam footage. I tend to find videos of just drone footage rather samey, so having other stuff holds my interest.

The only thing I'd comment on is a couple of the shots had a change of movement - specifically where the drone stops flying or changes direction. Sometimes this works, but in general I tend to cut at the point a shot changes to leave just smooth movement.

The other thing I'd say is length, and we are all guilty of this! If we have some great footage, it's natural to include the lot. However, does it help to tell the story, or will viewers fall asleep? I did like the way you grouped shots together of areas in order to showcase different areas, and the way you transitioned between them. However, although it's hard to chop out great footage I prefer shorter videos.

You have had some feedback! Too fast, too slow, too long, too short and so on! A lot of criticism is personal preference, and what one person hates another will love, so please keep filming places you love!

You did something I rather like - included some low level and ground based shots such as the girl at the end. If you are making a video about a place or subject, then including all sorts of material to tell the story help. Specifically stills, anything historical and especially views from ground based angles and action cam footage. I tend to find videos of just drone footage rather samey, so having other stuff holds my interest.

The only thing I'd comment on is a couple of the shots had a change of movement - specifically where the drone stops flying or changes direction. Sometimes this works, but in general I tend to cut at the point a shot changes to leave just smooth movement.

The other thing I'd say is length, and we are all guilty of this! If we have some great footage, it's natural to include the lot. However, does it help to tell the story, or will viewers fall asleep? I did like the way you grouped shots together of areas in order to showcase different areas, and the way you transitioned between them. However, although it's hard to chop out great footage I prefer shorter videos.

You have had some feedback! Too fast, too slow, too long, too short and so on! A lot of criticism is personal preference, and what one person hates another will love, so please keep filming places you love!
Haha you are awesome! Thank you for this! Isnt that so true that what some people hate others will love! I will of course continue to do what I love. I really appreciate this viewpoint. And I in fact agree with everything you said. I should have used my gopro more on that trip for sure! Thanks again!

Reactions: Greekislandlover
Haha you are awesome! Thank you for this! Isnt that so true that what some people hate others will love! I will of course continue to do what I love. I really appreciate this viewpoint. And I in fact agree with everything you said. I should have used my gopro more on that trip for sure! Thanks again!
Not usually called awesome - especially by my family, so thanks for that!

Two videos I saw on here particularly stick in my mind. In one, the guy was making a video about a scenic road, It started with some shots of his car in the garage. OK, it was a nice garage and a nice car, as opposed to a garaged full of junk and a battered Honda! But it was a good start I felt. Then some car mounted GoPro of the road and then a mix of GoPro and Drone of the car / landscape. At the end there was mainly drone shots of the place he finished the journey.

The other video was a guy who was filming some cliffs. It started with him unpacking the drone, then some drone shots of him walking the clifftop and plenty of cliff drone footage. An interlude of him scoffing sandwiches and then a bit more walking. That was quite a short video, probably 2 minutes of less but he made the most of telling a story, and his best shots.

This is why I often point out to people that drone videos don't have to be solely drone footage, hence my praise for the static elements of your film!

How I've incorporated (stole) the ideas above is to pick a couple of journeys through my hometown, done from the point of a cycle journey with chest mounted GoPro. I use some history and some drone photography. It's something to do in Lockdown, and I've had a lot of views of one, so people must be really bored!

Not usually called awesome - especially by my family, so thanks for that!

Two videos I saw on here particularly stick in my mind. In one, the guy was making a video about a scenic road, It started with some shots of his car in the garage. OK, it was a nice garage and a nice car, as opposed to a garaged full of junk and a battered Honda! But it was a good start I felt. Then some car mounted GoPro of the road and then a mix of GoPro and Drone of the car / landscape. At the end there was mainly drone shots of the place he finished the journey.

The other video was a guy who was filming some cliffs. It started with him unpacking the drone, then some drone shots of him walking the clifftop and plenty of cliff drone footage. An interlude of him scoffing sandwiches and then a bit more walking. That was quite a short video, probably 2 minutes of less but he made the most of telling a story, and his best shots.

This is why I often point out to people that drone videos don't have to be solely drone footage, hence my praise for the static elements of your film!

How I've incorporated (stole) the ideas above is to pick a couple of journeys through my hometown, done from the point of a cycle journey with chest mounted GoPro. I use some history and some drone photography. It's something to do in Lockdown, and I've had a lot of views of one, so people must be really bored!
Thanks for telling me about what sticks out to you the most. I'll keep that in mind for my next video. I posted my next video in this critique forum, its called 2nd Drone Video, any better guys? I incorporated more "ground shots" in this one I think. Let me know what you think of it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi