DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Drone

Ive owned a yuneec H
I had tons of issues and after 10 month battle I was able to get all my money back and used it to buy an Inspire 2. I hear the new THs are better however.

But, I will recommend you get the mavic pro or platinum or mavic 2 pro if you can justify the extra.

The mavic 1 is amazing. I fly that also along with a mavic air, own all three right now.

The portable nature of the mavic 1 is so worth it. If you need the upgraded camera capability and can justify it get the mavic 2.

I like my air but after having it for a few months I really miss the very excellent radio system in the mavic 1 over the air.

I would strongly suggest you get the mavic 1 or 2 based on your camera need and what you can justify for price. You will not be disappointed with them

The mavic 2 Zoom seems like the same camera as the pro and plat but higher bit rate and zoom. So that’s a very viable option. I’d buy any mavic 1 or 2 based on your ability to accept the price. Great value out of the mavic 1 line

Good luck with your decision.

Really appreciate your comments, I’m not a photographer by any means so it is really just for fun and to have a bit of the hobby with the videoing etc etc. It’s been two years plus in the thinking and there isn’t a review out there on the H or the Mavic that I haven’t watched, I can see the spec difference with the M1/M2 but for some reason I’m drawn to the M2 more than the M1 Pro or Platinum ‍♂️ don’t think I can trust the T H to be honest but it looks awesome, however, I want something that’s gonna treat me like I treat it. Gonna swap the wife soon too [emoji23]

Really appreciate your comments, I’m not a photographer by any means so it is really just for fun and to have a bit of the hobby with the videoing etc etc. It’s been two years plus in the thinking and there isn’t a review out there on the H or the Mavic that I haven’t watched, I can see the spec difference with the M1/M2 but for some reason I’m drawn to the M2 more than the M1 Pro or Platinum ‍♂️ don’t think I can trust the T H to be honest but it looks awesome, however, I want something that’s gonna treat me like I treat it. Gonna swap the wife soon too [emoji23]

I’m always biased towards the new models. It’s my fatal flaw. The mavic 2 seems really good but I have no direct experience with it yet.

The mavic 1 is very stable but has the gimbal assembly that is just not great. This is the reason I also got a mavic air. The mavic air to me is perfect in every way except range. I was out flying with two others the other day and when they were flying I could only get out 200 meets max. But the mavic 1 they were flying even with at time 4 of us up in the air had no issues.

So to me the mavic 2 pro is the winner because it has the range and great camera and a solid looking gimbal assembly.

That’s how I came to my conclusion.

I’m waiting to see what the rumoured updated controller is for the mavic 2 before I place an order for one. With several other drones I have plus winter I figure I can wait it out.

Like you I have watched every review I can get find. And there is a few little annoyances with each of the models but nothing so far stops me from leaning towards the mavic 2 pro. The lack of precision landing and saving way points is minor and for waypoint flight there is better options out there or the prospect of software updates to fix those both.

You also said you wanted a drone that treats you right. I think that’s DJI despite the rather vocal community about all the bugs. Keep in mind the DJI community is really massive compared to others. I would bet that as a percentage the defect rate is at least as low as any other brand but we have a massive market share with DJI so it feels like more issues. I myself had just one bad camera lens alignment and all else has been great even the software bugs on occasion are annoying but have not been show stoppers.

I assume you have ha g out at the yuneec forums also and can see the significant difference in activity between yuneec and DJI. I have some older posts o there under the same user name if you wanted to follow my history with the TH. I also posted some videos about my experiences with the TH in my channel but thy leave lots of gaps in the storey and lots of commenters junk all over you for doing it “wrong” and I have spent some energy rebutting

You have to go with your gut and needs.

The bigger the drone the less likely you are to use it. The mavic 1 and 2 strike a near perfect balance of size, camera, battery life, speed, resistance to signal Interference. Combined with technology in the form of software that can feel magical and significant 3rd party support. You have a better air craft.

Not to mention using your own tablet or phone use to bug me, but I have learned that with a platform that allows software to add new features that use more capabilities it’s good to have the option to upgrade your hardware to support those features. Feels like one could use the airframe longer. A supporter of built in android screens etc would say they have been fine and not needed hardware updates. But the truth is very little new features have been added to yuneec platforms. They would also forget the open API that lets developers build for DJI is prolific so the chances of getting some cool new software for your DJI is more real and thus the tablet update option more important.

Well that’s my super long commentary on it. Sorry about the long read for those that stuck it out to the end!

Reactions: D2010MJ
I’m always biased towards the new models. It’s my fatal flaw. The mavic 2 seems really good but I have no direct experience with it yet.

The mavic 1 is very stable but has the gimbal assembly that is just not great. This is the reason I also got a mavic air. The mavic air to me is perfect in every way except range. I was out flying with two others the other day and when they were flying I could only get out 200 meets max. But the mavic 1 they were flying even with at time 4 of us up in the air had no issues.

So to me the mavic 2 pro is the winner because it has the range and great camera and a solid looking gimbal assembly.

That’s how I came to my conclusion.

I’m waiting to see what the rumoured updated controller is for the mavic 2 before I place an order for one. With several other drones I have plus winter I figure I can wait it out.

Like you I have watched every review I can get find. And there is a few little annoyances with each of the models but nothing so far stops me from leaning towards the mavic 2 pro. The lack of precision landing and saving way points is minor and for waypoint flight there is better options out there or the prospect of software updates to fix those both.

You also said you wanted a drone that treats you right. I think that’s DJI despite the rather vocal community about all the bugs. Keep in mind the DJI community is really massive compared to others. I would bet that as a percentage the defect rate is at least as low as any other brand but we have a massive market share with DJI so it feels like more issues. I myself had just one bad camera lens alignment and all else has been great even the software bugs on occasion are annoying but have not been show stoppers.

I assume you have ha g out at the yuneec forums also and can see the significant difference in activity between yuneec and DJI. I have some older posts o there under the same user name if you wanted to follow my history with the TH. I also posted some videos about my experiences with the TH in my channel but thy leave lots of gaps in the storey and lots of commenters junk all over you for doing it “wrong” and I have spent some energy rebutting

You have to go with your gut and needs.

The bigger the drone the less likely you are to use it. The mavic 1 and 2 strike a near perfect balance of size, camera, battery life, speed, resistance to signal Interference. Combined with technology in the form of software that can feel magical and significant 3rd party support. You have a better air craft.

Not to mention using your own tablet or phone use to bug me, but I have learned that with a platform that allows software to add new features that use more capabilities it’s good to have the option to upgrade your hardware to support those features. Feels like one could use the airframe longer. A supporter of built in android screens etc would say they have been fine and not needed hardware updates. But the truth is very little new features have been added to yuneec platforms. They would also forget the open API that lets developers build for DJI is prolific so the chances of getting some cool new software for your DJI is more real and thus the tablet update option more important.

Well that’s my super long commentary on it. Sorry about the long read for those that stuck it out to the end!

Really well said and it has impacted on my decision. I’ll look for your vids, always makes a difference but like you also said which is new to me - waiting to see the updated MV2 controller and let the DJI team fix any bugs. Cheers mate, really appreciate that [emoji1303]

I'd argue you don't "fly" a DJI drone. You point the control sticks in the direction you want the drone to go. The flight controller does the flying. There is virtually no skill involved.

Even ATTI mode is far more sophisticated than a toy drone.

Read the manual, then push the left stick up until well above any obstacles and practice.
Not to beat the point to death, but you are the pilot and are definitely the one flying the drone. Sure the flight controller keeps things on an even keel, but you're the one telling it where to go - the flight controller figures out how to make that happen.

I'll stand by my advice; new pilots are better served learning to fly cheap, non GPS/sensor drones.

Did that, ended up in a tree
Been there. Glad it was with a toy.

I still fly my toy drones fairly often.

Reactions: D2010MJ
Just because a toy drone handles differently than a hobby drone doesn't mean they aren't great for practice. Most people new to r/c get mixed up easily when the aircraft is heading toward them, a toy drone is perfect for sending into the side of your house until it sinks in. That, and once you get used to keeping a toy drone in the sky, a hobby drone will seem so easy in comparison it'll be much less stressful the first time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mieciu