DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First encounter with Active Track 2.0 while skiing in French Alps

Hi there! Nice footage! I have a question: what did you do with the remote controller, after you've started the Active Track mode? I've taken my first flight in the mountains couple days ago and i tried to do a descent with the RC in my backpack, but it all went crazy. The footage was out of focus (blurry) and the drone started to take in altitude, loosing track in the end.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hi there! Nice footage! I have a question: what did you do with the remote controller, after you've started the Active Track mode? I've taken my first flight in the mountains couple days ago and i tried to do a descent with the RC in my backpack, but it all went crazy. The footage was out of focus (blurry) and the drone started to take in altitude, loosing track in the end.

Hi, thank you! Inside my ski jacket. I am using add-on plastic mount attached to a neck strap. Then I put on controller joystick protector to avoid unwanted moves when skiing. putting to backpack might be an option too but under the jacket feels quicker.
There is still hazard of switching off video given where the button is (one needs to listen for the typical sound of it). Ideal would be if DJI can provide some way of control lock to avoid this. I have bought my drone mostly for action shooting / active track possibilities so would appreciate better though-through practicality for ski, cycling, climbing etc.

Nice! I’ve tried tracking with my MPP and a “problem” is that the drone keeps the same altitude instead of (although I definitely see another problem with this..) keeping the same height. After a while, the drone is so far above me that it can’t track me anymore (and you can’t see me in the video anymore as I’m getting smaller and smaller..). Is there a way to counteract this? AFAIK the drone can track above ground going upwards, but not downwards...

Last edited:
Nice! I’ve tried tracking with my MPP and a “problem” is that the drone keeps the same altitude in stead of (although I definitely see another problem with this..) instead of keeping the same height. After a while, the drone is so far above me that it can’t track me anymore (and you can’t see me in the video anymore as I’m getting smaller and smaller..). Is there a way to counter act this? AFAIK the drone can track above ground going upwards, but not downwards...

Hi, yes that is the problem with original Mavic Pro. Since they have put more sensors into Mavic 2, the drone now descends with you, which previously was not the case. This was my reason to upgrade to Mavic 2 zoom really.

Fantastic, another reason for me to upgrade MPP --> M2P =)

EDIT:
Also, I see the same behaviour as on mine, that when tracking someone on slalom skies (or turning right/left into and out of the center of the frame repetitively for other reasons) the camera will literally follow the subject right/left every time the person makes a turn. IMO this is not smooth for the eyes to watch. Is there a way to give the tracking system some leeway? Meaning, is it possible to make the tracking system less precise?

Last edited:

EDIT:
Also, I see the same behaviour as on mine, that when tracking someone on slalom skies (or turning right/left into and out of the center of the frame repetitively for other reasons) the camera will literally follow the subject right/left every time the person makes a turn. IMO this is not smooth for the eyes to watch. Is there a way to give the tracking system some leeway? Meaning, is it possible to make the tracking system less precise?
Let me know what you think and what your experiences are.

Looks great. I had some luck with my Mavic Air tracking my 12 year-old son in Spain, but my chest pocket would interfere with the screen so I wasn’t as lucky tracking myself but got something. Will upload later. Mavic Air seem to descend a little but not reliably. One question, are you using a lens filter? I was worried about overexposure so I used a PL16, and it came out a little yellowy. Going to try again this weekend as the forecast shows sun again on Saturday!

EDIT:

Thats right, hard to say how to fix. I am not aware of setting any parameters of the active track. If it will have more distance then it will be less of a problem, but you`ll be tiny on the screen.

Shorter or much longer turns might be a way :)

Looks great. I had some luck with my Mavic Air tracking my 12 year-old son in Spain, but my chest pocket would interfere with the screen so I wasn’t as lucky tracking myself but got something. Will upload later. Mavic Air seem to descend a little but not reliably. One question, are you using a lens filter? I was worried about overexposure so I used a PL16, and it came out a little yellowy. Going to try again this weekend as the forecast shows sun again on Saturday!

I have not got to use any lenses yet, this light might be a good candidate for polarisation lens for sure. Anyway I have found M2P much better managing overexposure compared to original mavic pro, here I did not used any EV compensation but with MPP i still had to work with *-EV as it had a tendency to overexposure in my experience.

Really enjoyed that. Went skiing in Colorado last week but didn't have the guts to try that.

Yeah sometimes it is nerve wrecking like when it was following me under a chairlift, you never sure about the distance to a cable etc. Also dont like to shoot on slopes with many (or at all) people, so the best use I think is for off-piste / early mornings / ends of day.

Very nice, just wish these had been invented 30 years ago when I was on the mountain almost every day. As an old instructor, I spotted something you need to work on, take a quick lesson to get rid of your double pole plant habit, it will smooth out your skiing and give you more confidence. :)

Really enjoyed that. Went skiing in Colorado last week but didn't have the guts to try that.

They also don't like drones on the ski hills here.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Makes sense. In EU (at least in Norway, but rules probably apply to most countries in EU) you are not allowed to fly above people not involved with the drone operation, and you should stay 150m away from "crowds" (meaning the people in the slopes. That basically means no flying above ski slopes or above lifts. Also keep in mind that depending on your country, there might be specific rules regarding filming/taking pictures/identifying other people without their permission. I encountered an aggressive ski patrol during skiing in Norway, asking me to immediately stop and land the drone. I was defensive and explained rules and showed them that I was flying away from people applying to all the rules. They immediately lowered their guard and started asking technical questions about the drone, as if they actually wanted to buy and fly drones themselves. I played along and we ended up having a nice conversation while I got everything I wanted (filming) =). Common sense and a nice attitude takes you a long way!

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Very nice, just wish these had been invented 30 years ago when I was on the mountain almost every day. As an old instructor, I spotted something you need to work on, take a quick lesson to get rid of your double pole plant habit, it will smooth out your skiing and give you more confidence. :)
Thx!

Very nice. A bit long on the set-up shots (I fast forwarded through much of it) the ski shots were sweet, with great light. I'm also psyched to take my M2P out back-country skiing, but haven't yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21