DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight crashed into a tree! ?

AtortPhotography

Reactions
So my first flight literally with about 15 minutes of flight time my brand new shiny Mavic 2 Pro crashed into a tree while in tripod mode. To me it seems like my side sensors failed....or maybe I did or maybe we both did? I get it was a tree and more organic meaning not a building, but still have Phantom 4 Pros and others and never had zero warning like this that I was approaching an object even a tree. What are your thoughts? Again I was in tripod mode on my smart controller too. Really sucks. Thanks.

That sucks bro. First flight..man. Did you buy Refresh?

The sensors are poor against thin things such as power lines, wires, and tree branches. This was operator error.

I did the same thing on my first drone flight. Right into a pine tree in the neighbor's yard. I was only maybe 3 meters high so it fell to the ground and only chewed up a couple of propellers a little. Big clue for me. Might have to put in some overtime learning this one.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Sorry for the crash. Among the obstacle avoidance sensors on the M2, the side sensor is the least sensitive and responsive one that works only for flat surfaces such as a wall. Tree branches is just beyond it's ability.
I tested that like an idiot. Going sideways toward my shed the sensor started going off. So I pushed the stick sideways again to see if the drone would stay stopped. Nope, flew into the shed. No serious damage but a lesson learned.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I tested that like an idiot. Going sideways toward my shed the sensor started going off. So I pushed the stick sideways again to see if the drone would stay stopped. Nope, flew into the shed. No serious damage but a lesson learned.

Did you have it in Sport Mode? It turns off OA.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Did you have it in Sport Mode? It turns off OA.
No, tripod. It warned me as it obviously saw the shed. There are bushes around the shed so I guess I could offer it the excuse that it got confused. Regardless, I don't challenge warnings any more.

Reactions: Flynz
So my first flight literally with about 15 minutes of flight time my brand new shiny Mavic 2 Pro crashed into a tree while in tripod mode. To me it seems like my side sensors failed....or maybe I did or maybe we both did?
Sorry about the crash of a brand new M2P. However this does seem to be purely pilot error. As mentioned above by others, the side sensors are the least effective, but even the front sensors have difficulty with tree branches and especially if there is a breeze blowing them around. Always be fully aware of the surroundings, maintain VLOS, and do not depend on sensors.

I have tested it by inching it towards a wall and the craft did refuse to go further when it was about 2 ft away from the wall. I have the feeling that if it went at full speed ( tripod mode ), it may well hit the wall.

Like the others, I've carefully tested the sensors myself.

But when I'm shooting and flying sideways like that, I ALWAYS check (turn the craft to the side to see the path from the camera POV first, then turn orientation back and do the move). But actually eyeball (line-of-sight) is probably more important (rather than looking at the screen) to avoid this.

Chris

I NEVER relay on sensors when I fly. Specially around trees or lines. I found the Mavic Air 2 sensors works really good but even with that does not have side sensors and i don't relay on that.

My condolences. This is a classic mistake and YouTube is full of examples; flying sideways while watching the screen instead of the drone.
That's a rough one for me. I often move sideways or sideways in conjunction with jaw when filming. There is no way I can watch both the drone and the screen. I need full attention on the screen to keep it smooth and framed. What I have been doing now that I have bounced off some things is to attain and maintain an altitude the is clear of all obstacles. For the most part, that is where the drone really shines per the elevated perspective. It took a little to wrap my head around what that perspective is and where it works best. Having said all that, I like it best when I have a spotter with me.

Sorry for your unfortunate accident. We’ve all learned lessons through our errors. It’s so important to do a thorough Pre-Flight that includes taking in account the area in which you’re flying.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Same thing happened to my M2P a few weeks back. I was flying sideways setting up for a POI and hit a tall tree and down to the ground. I was in a boat at the time and had to go back with the car later to search in some deep woods. $280 for repairs to a broken arm.

I’ve learned that crashes are always a possibility and that retrieval is key. I recommend a high visibility skin and the Firehouse ARC XL strobe light w/audible signal. The new MA2 has strobes and audibles to help locate it, but not the M2P. Perhaps they’ll add it in a future firmware update.

Consider your locale, topography, tree cover, accessibility, cell service (mapping) and difficulty of retrieval in the event of a crash. It helps to do a reconnaissance flight at a higher altitude before a flight plan that’s closer to trees and landforms.

It helps to do a reconnaissance flight at a higher altitude
Situational awareness/orientation...whatever you want to call it is the key just a Slade and Mac have said. You just can't know the shooting area too well if you are planning on doing orbits and other sideways type of shot.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Can happen: after appr 60 flights also lost my MM in a tree.
I was warned, overlooked the site, knew to beware of the trees, but when taking pictures and video, didn't notice anymore what I had to know.
Fortunately my travel-insurance covered the loss.
Lesson: even when you think you are a bit more experienced, always be aware of obstacles and wind.....

So my first flight literally with about 15 minutes of flight time my brand new shiny Mavic 2 Pro crashed into a tree while in tripod mode. To me it seems like my side sensors failed....or maybe I did or maybe we both did? I get it was a tree and more organic meaning not a building, but still have Phantom 4 Pros and others and never had zero warning like this that I was approaching an object even a tree. What are your thoughts? Again I was in tripod mode on my smart controller too. Really sucks. Thanks.

I have noticed a significant increase in sensor sensitivity and ability to avoid obstacles when I enable APAS when not in smart modes on my M2Z. Sorry about the crash on your maiden flight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.